We are a top 4 side

bluchoo

15 minutes ago, onwardsupwards said:

Oh ffs, when was the last time attendance  wages and stature won a game of football?

if the rumours are true we're hemoraging money like an anemic with his jaw ripped,so forget about money, our manager doesn't have a plan B and our only hope for a goal is KM, our defence is suspect at best and we're playing catch up already

wake up smell the coffee and enjoy what we have achieved in 4 years and give us time to get sorted out before we start looking to pressure people about where we should finish in the league

We achieved what we had to in four years, in fact getting back took a year longer than it should have done thanks to McCoist

I'm giving us time to get sorted I've already accepted winning the league first time back is a step too far but it's utter nonsense to say we shouldn't have any expectations at all about where we finish, especially when forty odd thousand supporters have bought season tickets and we're paying out wages that Aberdeen can only dream of. If it doesn't matter where we finish I take it you'd accept us finishing bottom and going back to the championship? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

If we lose heavily next weekend ,then I would probably have made my mind up about MW 

It's more from the heart than the head ,that I'm hoping he can turn his poor run of results in the important matches around 

Win or lose next week won't define his future but we really need to put up a better fight than the last time 

7 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Win or lose next week won't define his future but we really need to put up a better fight than the last time 

Reckon that 'fight' has to be measured.  I want to see some players 'fight' while I want other like Niko to stay away from that side of the game, if he is playing, and concentrate on doing what he does well. Four central defenders and I honestly don't want any two of these four playing, its a worry.

Just now, siddiqi_drinker said:

Reckon that 'fight' has to be measured.  I want to see some players 'fight' while I want other like Niko to stay away from that side of the game, if he is playing, and concentrate on doing what he does well. Four central defenders and I honestly don't want any two of these four playing, its a worry.

Games like next week always means a lot obviously it's against them and it's a chance of a trophy. I've got my eyes on the next two league games as well, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock at home back to back are two games that should be more than winnable and gives us the opportunity for four league wins in a row, something we need really as our start didn't leave much margin for error. 

23 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

. If it doesn't matter where we finish I take it you'd accept us finishing bottom and going back to the championship

Oh come on now your just being silly, if we finish top six/five that's a result to be honest, and if we're paying out more wages than the sheep that doesn't make us a better team, it just means we've learned nothing in 4 years

1 minute ago, onwardsupwards said:

Oh come on now your just being silly, if we finish top six/five that's a result to be honest, and if we're paying out more wages than the sheep that doesn't make us a better team, it just means we've learned nothing in 4 years

What a lot of shite.

5th or 6th a result ffs.

Utter bollocks.

1 minute ago, onwardsupwards said:

Wages and player for player we should be better than them, our squad obviously has deficiencies related to where we thrive to be but who barring one or two from Aberdeen's squad would genuinely improve us? 

I accept the need for some realism hence why i wrote off much of a title challenge very early on, but saying its a result to finish 5th or 6th seems like criminally low expectations, just how slow is our progression supposed to be if that's the case?  The standard of Scottish football has been rotten for years and everything I've seen suggests it's only got worse in our time away, 2nd doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation at all 

Just now, simplythebest said:

Either this guys at the wind up or some of our fans expectations have been dumbed down incredibly 

Hundred posts in 3 years then seems to look for a fight on every thread....

Don't think he likes folk on here for some reason.

27 minutes ago, onwardsupwards said:

You're at it. The better team lost v the sheep.

7 hours ago, SwordandShield said:

The thing is, they didn't really consolidate in those four years, they went back the way. If clueless Ronnie had still been in charge then I don't think they'd have been that far in front of us, but unfortunately they appear to have made some reasonable signings that has seen them qualify for the CL and also move on a couple of levels from where they were.

Yup, they did just enough to win the league by spending as little as they could get away with, to build a warchest for the day we returned. That warchest is now being spent at a rate that a drunken sailor on shore leave would balk at.

They've benefited from the new manager bounce but they're spending (by Scottish football standards) a fortune on wages. Can they keep it up? We'll see but Man City rejects like Sinclair don't come cheap. Other guys like Forrest are playing out their skins yet were ready to chuck it under Deila - they won't keep that passion up. Plus the luck they're carrying is breathtaking. Look at the Man City game - fair enough, they put a lot of effort in, but of their three goals, the first was offside, the second was such a massive deflection it was given as an own goal and the third came from a shocking piece of defending that if Rob Kiernan had done it we'd want shot of him.

This season is all about consolidation. We need to accept that it's a learning curve for our manager and for many of the players, who have never played consistently at this level. Remember, that for guys like Waghorn and Tavernier, last season was pretty much their first full season playing first team football in their careers. Add in the pressure of playing for us and the expectations we have of them, there will be another weeding out process over the next few months. I'm also looking forward to seeing what new targets the manager has for the January window and beyond - we all know by now how he does business so we won't know until the deal(s) are done.

18mths ago we had no core of quality and had to start afresh.... on a tight budget. People underestimate how difficult that is to build on. 

We have mostly done OK with our signings and at least now have a base to build on, which we didn't 18mths ago. This loss of a core is the price we are still paying for the McCoist disaster, and the utter uselessness of previous boards. We are 18-24mths, and maybe £10m worth of player behind where we should be, if we had done 'the journey' correctly.

Delia left Celtic a mess but.... he left behind £25m of players in that squad. Aberdeen have maintained a core of decent quality, etc. Even Hearts at least had a core of youth to build on when they had their issues.

The biggest concern is a lack of match winning quality, however we have not been lucky with regards to injuries and players out of form. The problem is this teams ceiling is a fair bit lower than fan expectation. We actually need to play well to beat ICT, Hamilton, etc - we can't just play ok, grind out a performance, and rely on superior quality to dig us out a hole - past Rangers side had this luxury (and a budget 3 or 4x more). We are closer to Aberdeen than Celtic when it comes to budget. It is worth remembering, to keep perspective, that we are operating on about 30-40% of the budget that McLeish had when he finished 3rd.

I'm willing to accept this for the moment, but I want to see money available in January to secure 2nd and Warburton to take the team up a gear. Whilst this teams ceiling isn't high, we maybe are not performing great. With this current team, and current budget, a points haul of about 70pts, seems about level par.

18 hours ago, Albertz 78 said:

Last night we had a 38 year old at the back, a 36 year old up front and a 32 year old in midfield.

For a manager that's supposedly based his philosophy on youth and good football I find that ridiculous tbh..

It really does not matter if the guys I mentioned above were fit or not Warbs wont drop his favourites (Miller,Mckay,Kiernan) for anything.

Miller was by far our best player though. Which is good for him but worrying for us 

I'm pretty certain we'll finish this season in second place.  Our start to season has been horrendous, even so, we're currently second on points.  Over the course of the season I'm sure we will get better and a gap between our club and 3rd place will appear. We're too far behind Celtic this season to catch them but we're better than the rest of the pack.  The real question is, how do we get from 2nd to 1st given the current gulf in spending.  Celtic are spending double what we currently do in player wages and transfer fees and that shows no signs of slowing.  It's perhaps unrealistic to expect Warburton to compete with Celtic given the difference in spending power. 

I thought we played well in spells against Inverness, and looked like we were improving. 

We have been unlucky this season with injuries. Crooks, Windass, Dodoo and Rossiter might turn out to be fantastic players for us, however they have not started together or had a run of games.

We will finish second, and some poor results from the soap dodgers could see us pushing them to the wire.

Aberdeen were only a few results from putting serious pressure on them last season. We have not seen how they will react to a dip in form.

The game against Hearts will go a long way to defining this season.

We will finish second this season, it's been painful so far this season so far but for me the signs are there we are turning the corner, although most of out problems are of our own making I believe. We do have the players to beat everyone in this league but we have to cut out the stupid individual mistakes, I have only seen Aberdeen twice this season (once against st Johnstone in the cup) and obviously against us, and they are fucking shite, we should have beaten them last time out and this is exactly the sort of result that we need to be grinding out and for me no doubt that will come, albeit to late to do anything other than finish second. 

3 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'm pretty certain we'll finish this season in second place.  Our start to season has been horrendous, even so, we're currently second on points.  Over the course of the season I'm sure we will get better and a gap between our club and 3rd place will appear. We're too far behind Celtic this season to catch them but we're better than the rest of the pack.  The real question is, how do we get from 2nd to 1st given the current gulf in spending.  Celtic are spending double what we currently do in player wages and transfer fees and that shows no signs of slowing.  It's perhaps unrealistic to expect Warburton to compete with Celtic given the difference in spending power. 

Double is a conservative estimate.

We're spending between 7m and 9m in wages, Celtic 25-27m. The total cost in transfers of the playing squad, Celtic are at £25m odd, we are at £5m. It's a massive gulf to bridge, and we'd need to double our wage budget, and sign £10m worth of players - at least - to make it a realistic chance. By comparison Aberdeen are spending 4-5m in wages. We are far closer to them than to Celtic - whether that is acceptable or not is another debate, but it is the reality of the situation.