Davie Cooper

bordersbear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll probably get grief for this, but first let me say that when Cooper was in the mood he was indeed a genius, but the problem for us supporters who watched him from the beginning is that for a lot of the time he seemed to go into moods and just went through the motions, he was tremendous when he first signed for a couple of seasons but time seems to have blurred a lot of memories as he should have done a lot more with the talent that he possessed, although in his defence he was always a couple of moves ahead of his teammates at that time.

He could be a moody cunt at times, he wasn't nicknamed "the moody blue" for no reason but it wasn't until Souness took over and better players were brought in that IMO we got to see the true genius of Davie Cooper, it has always been one of my regrets supporting The Rangers that we never got to see Coops for longer than we did in a team with players who could read his game.

I did admire Cooper but my favourite #11 was wee Bud, never had Coops ability I know but I just loved the wee man.

2 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

You lucky man! Such a good player and man. Always had time for the kids. Still sad that we lost him.

Massive loss especially at fighting our corner, Davie was coming into his own in the media, articulate, knowledgable on the game and wise to those who knocked us and let them know it, absolute massive loss for us and football !:sherlock:

12 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I'll probably get grief for this, but first let me say that when Cooper was in the mood he was indeed a genius, but the problem for us supporters who watched him from the beginning is that for a lot of the time he seemed to go into moods and just went through the motions, he was tremendous when he first signed for a couple of seasons but time seems to have blurred a lot of memories as he should have done a lot more with the talent that he possessed, although in his defence he was always a couple of moves ahead of his teammates at that time.

He could be a moody cunt at times, he wasn't nicknamed "the moody blue" for no reason but it wasn't until Souness took over and better players were brought in that IMO we got to see the true genius of Davie Cooper, it has always been one of my regrets supporting The Rangers that we never got to see Coops for longer than we did in a team with players who could read his game.

You're right mate . Many a dark winters afternoon was brightened up by a wee bit of Cooper magic during the early '80's but also there were many games when after the first 5 minutes we knew that Davie wasn't in the mood that day especially in the more mundane fixtures . Like you I believe that the better the teammates around him , the better Cooper performed on a consistent basis . 

A privilege to watch in a Rangers shirt and more good memories than bad , but if forums like this had been around during the John Greig managerial reign then Davie Cooper's legacy might be seen differently .

Watched both Coop and Laudrup throughout their careers with Rangers.  If I had to choose between the two, Laudrup would certainly get my vote.  Actually think Davie may have been more skilful than the great Dane but his big shortcoming was his lack of pace.  Quite often saw Coop having to beat the same player two or three times to get away from him,  Laudrup beat a player once and he was gone.

In Davie's defence, much of the time he played for us our team was not of the highest quality, certainly compared to the players Laudrup had round him.

As has been said before Supercooper could be a world beater or a pile of crap. Obviously the only footage we have of him is when he is playing at his brilliant best so everyone thinks he was amazing all the time. The one thing I will say is that the game today could do with his type of player i.e. a dribbler who could beat a man.

53 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I did admire Cooper but my favourite #11 was wee Bud, never had Coops ability I know but I just loved the wee man.

Same as Jim Baxter then? I don't remember either but you hear this a lot about genius players. Maybe that's just part of it

When the main stand was getting the club deck fitted, my season ticket got moved to behind the broomloan goal area. 

Cooper was now playing for Motherwell and they were practising free kicks. The good looking older lassie behind me was reading her programme and sipping her coke and never saw Coops shot coming over the bar.

Not sure where the ball caught her, but she was covered in coke and missing her programme. 

He got a few pelters for that.

Really funny though.

12 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

Same as Jim Baxter then? I don't remember either but you hear this a lot about genius players. Maybe that's just part of it

You probably have a point here re genius players, but IMO Baxter had way more of an influence in games than Coops ever did, plus Baxter was playing from midfield as opposed to Coops out on the wing and therefore was more involved being in the engine room of the team, when Slim wasn't in the mood he was probably more hung over rather than he couldn't be bothered LOL.

57 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

Watched both Coop and Laudrup throughout their careers with Rangers.  If I had to choose between the two, Laudrup would certainly get my vote.  Actually think Davie may have been more skilful than the great Dane but his big shortcoming was his lack of pace.  Quite often saw Coop having to beat the same player two or three times to get away from him,  Laudrup beat a player once and he was gone.

In Davie's defence, much of the time he played for us our team was not of the highest quality, certainly compared to the players Laudrup had round him.

Both geniuses in their own ways. And both great Gers!

27 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

You probably have a point here re genius players, but IMO Baxter had way more of an influence in games than Coops ever did, plus Baxter was playing from midfield as opposed to Coops out on the wing and therefore was more involved being in the engine room of the team, when Slim wasn't in the mood he was probably more hung over rather than he couldn't be bothered LOL.

I'm reading his book just now