How long should Mr Warburton get?

ChrisMcb

8 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Should be given to the end of the season. Then should be sacked if he doesn't reach first place next season.

This,but to finish 1st the board will have to back him seriously. I'm not saying we need to match the spends but a couple hundred grand won't win you any top flight title.  Anywhere between 5-8 million spent on 4 players would be a massive upturn in performance and results.

if we had to spend more than that then I'd quite happily just let the scum have it as playing with the clubs future is a big no no from me.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have to give him funds to compete with them and then judge him. They have spent close to 5 million on Sinclair and dembele who if they weren't in that team we wouldn't have lost 5, in other words at this stage they are the difference just now. This season has been a disaster from the start so I'm just going to see how we go then hope the real work starts next season then judge him as he should hopefully have some dough to spend. What's the alternative bring some dud Scottish manager in and give him no money and hope for the best, at least MW has vision and wants to play the game the right way. Imo the 1 thing he did wrong was underestimate this league, we know it's not la liga but it's better than he thought but he's a clever guy and will know now it's no as bad as ppl make out 

1 hour ago, Virtuoso said:

...and that is coming from where exactly? Unless we have a new board in place by then :)

If there was any funds available, then it was this year on the back of ST sales. ST sales won't be anywhere near as high next season unless we pull off some miraculous recovery and finish 2nd (or 1st..No Surrender :rolleyes: )

Whilst our manager roots about for bargain signings (which don't seem to be the bargains they're made out to be), the Bheasts have a few spare million to spend without touching their ST sales etc. They'll strengthen further whilst we.....

This board is ultimately to blame for where we are just now, but Warburton is the one who chose the team and is responsible for what we see on a weekly basis and on that basis, at present he doesn't deserve another season.

Well the board have let us down and not the manager,  Warbs can't win the league unless we invest in a better squad, he has built as good a squad as possible with very little funds and we will finish second, but second is not good enough.

Shares are still delisted and the boa need to get their finger out.

You say we won't sell as many season books next season? Well those part timers should hang their heads in shame and to be honest should never darken our door again.

Time they showed the club a bit of loyalty, or to me they are not real Rangers fans.

Warbs can't produce miracles , you can't beat a Porsche or something simpler with a Ford Capri and that's what we are all expecting.  

17 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

Should have been sacked months ago

Away you go and chase yourself , Sacked? Who would you replace him with ? How much would it cost to sack him and the back room staff? How much for a new manager? And how much would you give him? 

And nice to see your  loyalty to the man who has given his all for us  

2 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

Good managers win trophys so I have no real judgement on MW yet.

Hasn't he already won two trophies? :pipe:

Really can't believe some of the comments in some of these threads, remember we did beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup last season, there is no reason why we can't win again this Sunday.

As for some of the results this season we've actually been very unlucky, there have been games where we had clear penalties that weren't given and that is down to our players getting into the opposition box, we played well for the most part against Aberdeen but again a shocking refereeing decision lost us the game, there are very fine margins between winning and losing at times and I really hope that people give him a fair chance.

I also believe the expectations on MW have been made clear, it is expected by the Board that we qualify for Europe next season, if that doesn't happen then he will probably be sacked, if he does then he will have another season with us at least.

17 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Well the board have let us down and not the manager,  Warbs can't win the league unless we invest in a better squad, he has built as good a squad as possible with very little funds and we will finish second, but second is not good enough.

Shares are still delisted and the boa need to get their finger out.

You say we won't sell as many season books next season? Well those part timers should hang their heads in shame and to be honest should never darken our door again.

Time they showed the club a bit of loyalty, or to me they are not real Rangers fans.

Warbs can't produce miracles , you can't beat a Porsche or something simpler with a Ford Capri and that's what we are all expecting.  

I don't expect Warburton to be win the league on the limited funding he received, you can only piss with the cock you've got but the fact is that we should be sitting comfortable in 2nd place instead of dropping points to the likes of Hamilton /  Killie and even Aberdeen.

In theory, we have a team, which on paper should be producing results...but for whatever reason, there's something missing / not working. We all know what it is, but obviously Warburton isn't keen on change which is costing us.

MW is a gentleman who would be the ideal type to have as your manager in terms of dealing with the press and public.   However the footballing aspect is a harder nut for him to crack.   My concerns stem from last season and specifically from the second half of that season.   We never changed tactics but others did.  We stumbled over the remainder of the season.  This season I think he underestimated the league.  He has stuck rigidly to 433 for which we do not have good enough players.  Other teams set out 451 and we struggle badly.   He has signed Garner and MoH both of whom have hardly kicked a ball.   Only Rossiter has been a success from his summer signings.  McKay has been awful this season as has Waghorn but he persists in playing them.  We cannot afford passengers in games.  I hope he changes things but he seems set in his ways.

1 minute ago, Virtuoso said:

I don't expect Warburton to be win the league on the limited funding he received, you can only piss with the cock you've got but the fact is that we should be sitting comfortable in 2nd place instead of dropping points to the likes of Hamilton /  Killie and even Aberdeen.

In theory, we have a team, which on paper should be producing results...but for whatever reason, there's something missing / not working. We all know what it is, but obviously Warburton isn't keen on change which is costing us.

The performances have been improving.

Need to give him time, most of his summer signings have been injured or returning to fitness.

Let's see how he gets on if he can play rossiter, dodoo and crooks for a run of games for example.

How do we judge Mark Warbuton? Do we overlook the context of where this club has been in recent times- no scouting network, no systemic youth policy of note, the boardroom battles and so on and what he inherited when he came? Do we overlook the work that has been happening at Murray Park, the putting in place of a scouting set up, the youth policy, the support from the board and their work off the park to sustain the club for the long term? And who would be the alternative anyway, is there really better than the current manager out there who would do a better job under these circumstances? We have a gem in Warburton, a man who thinks seriously about the game, with a postive ethos, and who deserves a lot better than this thread actually. He respects players, and he gives a great deal of respect to others, opponents etc. He is a fine Rangers manager, both in character and in ability; and he will get it right, given time.

5 hours ago, Dazzler said:

The performances have been improving.

Need to give him time, most of his summer signings have been injured or returning to fitness.

Let's see how he gets on if he can play rossiter, dodoo and crooks for a run of games for example.

Doodoo should start out Sunday with either McKay  or Waghorn benched. I really like the guy he has pace and that is something we are lacking, him, Miller through the centre and either Waghorn or MacKay on the other wing. 

We can easily win on Sunday, yes Celtic are favourites but they were favourites in 2012'when Jelavic scored the winner, they were favourites last season also.

Warbs need to start benching under performing players and give someone else's a chance as we have the squad. 

Warbs is not the problem it's under achieving players who need to stand up and be counted. 

As others have said we should and I think will finish second, but draws need to start turning into wins like the ICT  game which I thought again we made hard work of it.

Lets not hear talk about the managers head with this game coming up on Sunday as it's disrespectful, we will cheer the team on to a league cup final and hammer the sheep and win a cup that has always been kind to us.

Then Warbs will be a hero for life at Ibrox.  That's how easy this is to turn around.

Come on bears leave all this talk of the manager to next week 

2 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Doodoo should start out Sunday with either Mclay or Waghorn benched. I really like the guy he has pace and that is something we are lacking, him, Miller through the centre and either Waghorn or MacKay on the other wing. 

We can easily win on Sunday, yes Celtic are favourites but they were favourites in 2012'when Jelavic scored the winner, they were favourites last season also.

Warbs need to start benching under performing players and give someone else's a chance as we have the squad. 

Warbs is not the problem it's under achieving players who need to stand up and be counted. 

As others have said we should and I think will finish second, but draws need to start turning into wins like the ICT  game which I thought again we made hard work of it.

Lets not hear talk about the managers head with this game coming up on Sunday as it's disrespectful, we will cheer the team on to a league cup final and hammer the sheep and win a cup that has always been kind to us.

Then Warbs will be a hero for life at Ibrox.  That's how easy this is to turn around.

Great post, and you are right, we have certain crucial players who are off-form at the same time. I agree about Dodoo, and I would do as you say and drop Waghorn or McKay.

9 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Doodoo should start out Sunday with either Mclay or Waghorn benched. I really like the guy he has pace and that is something we are lacking, him, Miller through the centre and either Waghorn or MacKay on the other wing. 

You are spot on with this but the think that does annoy me about manager is it's clear these players need dropped yet it won't happy

2 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

This guy got a team from the middle of League 1 to the championship playoffs on a fairly small budget (compared to the rest of the teams).

He then came here built a whole new team in a few weeks which comfortably won the championship playing an attractive style of football which we haven't seen at Rangers in years.

Yes our first season back has in the top league has been disappointing so far, but even so we still only sit 3 points behind second place and are in the semi final of a cup.

I'd like to know who people want in to replace him? The absolute minimum he should get is this season. MW is trying to build something, let him get on with it and stop these ridiculous threads.

Great post. I can't believe that people are calling for his head, or saying they will if we get beaten by Celtic (a title winning team with 5 times the budget). 

He deserves the season at least, and must finish 2nd. 

44 minutes ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

Hasn't he already won two trophies? :pipe:

Really can't believe some of the comments in some of these threads, remember we did beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup last season, there is no reason why we can't win again this Sunday.

As for some of the results this season we've actually been very unlucky, there have been games where we had clear penalties that weren't given and that is down to our players getting into the opposition box, we played well for the most part against Aberdeen but again a shocking refereeing decision lost us the game, there are very fine margins between winning and losing at times and I really hope that people give him a fair chance.

I also believe the expectations on MW have been made clear, it is expected by the Board that we qualify for Europe next season, if that doesn't happen then he will probably be sacked, if he does then he will have another season with us at least.

Yes technically he's won 2 lol but in reality they're lower league trophies.

Theres certainly fine margins and recently we've not had luck or decisions going our way but hopefully this will change and yes we can put them to the sword on Sunday aslong as we turn up with the defence making good, we control the midfield and and we take our chances up front.

A European place is at least a top 3 finish out with the SC place but I believe 1/2 is our aim but we need a run of form in the league. If we end up 3rd or 4th and with a Euro place, I suppose it would really depend on the points gap. 

A half decent CB and someone who can score goals coming in during the next transfer window will put us in a great position to challenge Celtic IMO. If he conducts poor business and doesn't address our issues he won't be here next season.

i don't think we are that far off from being a good team and results have picked up since that horror show at Pittodrie

Limited resources or not, two and a half months into the season not one of the summer signings has made us any better than we were last season. Be they arseholes like Barton, washed up like Hill and Senderos, or injury prone like Rossiter, Crooks, Windass and Dodoo. 

3 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

This guy got a team from the middle of League 1 to the championship playoffs on a fairly small budget (compared to the rest of the teams).

He then came here built a whole new team in a few weeks which comfortably won the championship playing an attractive style of football which we haven't seen at Rangers in years.

Yes our first season back has in the top league has been disappointing so far, but even so we still only sit 3 points behind second place and are in the semi final of a cup.

I'd like to know who people want in to replace him? The absolute minimum he should get is this season. MW is trying to build something, let him get on with it and stop these ridiculous threads.

Couldn't agree more

8 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Limited resources or not, two and a half months into the season not one of the summer signings has made us any better than we were last season. Be they arseholes like Barton, washed up like Hill and Senderos, or injury prone like Rossiter, Crooks, Windass and Dodoo. 

I think you forget how many players have been brought in! There was virtually no preseason and as you say there has been injuries! I think the first couple of months Barton's had a detrimental effect on the team there has been an improvement since he's been suspended! There has to be some patience it's not going to be easy but give him time 

Winning the league was always a big ask when celtic are so far ahead of us in terms of squad cost and wages. There are plenty of managers who could take us to second in the SPFL (even though I think their results would be as inconsistent along the way too) but I think it would be very difficult for any manager to come in and sustain a realistic challenge to them with the squad we currently have.

We should finish second, but it's going to be close and we aren't going to run away with that position either because there isn't that much of a gap between us and Hearts/Aberdeen.

Unless the wheels well and truly come off and it becomes clear we won't finish second then Warburton should get until the season and if he finishes second he should get next season, with proper investment to build us a squad capable of challenging celtic, too.

8 minutes ago, kdybear55 said:

I think you forget how many players have been brought in! There was virtually no preseason and as you say there has been injuries! I think the first couple of months Barton's had a detrimental effect on the team there has been an improvement since he's been suspended! There has to be some patience it's not going to be easy but give him time 

I'm not forgetting how many were brought in. New players are brought in to every team with the aim of improving it. None of the seven mentioned have improved ours, so far. I'm hopeful the young guys get fit and stay fit enough to do that. The other three won't.