Looks like Gilks starting Sunday

Bad Robot

Who starts   

254 members have voted

1. 1. Who deserves the jersey?

• Gilks
    • Fod

Walter did it with Neil Alexander in 2011, played him in the league cup and stuck with him for the final vs them 

I don't have a problem with the concept only thing is it's difficult to judge Gilks on the games he has played since he had so little to do in all of them, Gilks has a good track record but we all know what the hype will be about if he happens to make a mistake on Sunday

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Why? Is loyalty to players more important than fielding your best 11 in a big game? 

He's also not played every league cup game this season so I dont see how it wouldn't make him look good when he's already played Wes twice.

He has played the knockout round games , the group games were shared because they were part of pre season training 

6 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Yes, otherwise you look like a snake, aye Matt you can play the cup games unless we get Celtic. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the players? 

There isn't a lot between Fod & Gilks, I'd see the point if we were making ourselves a lot weaker but we're not, what Gilks lacks in passing etc he makes up for in commanding his box and coming for crosses etc.

I rate Fod very highly, don't get me wrong, but it's just very sneaky to drop Gilks when he hasn't put a foot wrong. It's bad management. Why go with him in the first place if he's just going to get dropped when a harder game comes along?

He's already not played 2 cup games in favour of Wes so I cant see why it would be a big deal if the same happens again?

1 minute ago, scottyc06 said:

He's already not played 2 cup games in favour of Wes so I cant see why it would be a big deal if the same happens again?

That was probably more because of the set up of the league cup group stage with four games so close together, Warburton was rotating pretty much using the games like pre-season 

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

That was probably more because of the set up of the league cup group stage with four games so close together, Warburton was rotating pretty much using the games like pre-season 

That's a fair point. I still believe the strongest 11 should play the big games & players can be rested for lesser games. Rangers winning is by far more important than loyalty to a back up goalkeeper. Imagine the uproar if he plays Gilks & he has a Rab Douglas!

5 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

That's a fair point. I still believe the strongest 11 should play the big games & players can be rested for lesser games. Rangers winning is by far more important than loyalty to a back up goalkeeper. Imagine the uproar if he plays Gilks & he has a Rab Douglas!

Strongest 11 is a bit of an easy phrase to use but ideally you should be able to trust your squad enough where there isn't a particular strongest 11, we've changed the team about all season thanks to injuries and the Barton fiasco 

If Gilks is as good a keeper as seems to be thought then him coming in shouldn't really weaken us, Walter did the same with Alexander and McGregor. Your last point is true though there's a big risk of making the headlines if he has a howler but Warburton's obviously willing to take that risk

13 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Imagine the credit and the backtracking if Gilks wins the game for us with vital saves. It is a gamble.

It seems Gilks is a better keeper for defending set plays and organisation, and Fod is better at reflex saves,having the ball at his feet and getting out quickly. Gilks is probably a better pick in a game where we will be under the cosh at times, Fod is better for teams that don't see the ball and counter us.

Both are good goalkeepers.

I really rate Foderingham, takes responsibility with the ball at his feet, knowing it's him who will be ridiculed if it goes wrong, never hides. 

That being said I also like Gilks, decent keeper and appears to conduct himself well. It may well be the case that to secure a number 2 keeper of any decent standard you have to promise him cup games. 

Let's get behind him, wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up being the hero...

I don't get this whole way of thinking, in my book and I'm certainly no expert, I would say that if fit you should play your best team that fit into the formation and tactical game you are wanting to play.

So having one goalie play cups and another play league makes no sense to me other than keeping the squad happier. So I guess that's what it comes down to - playing the best team possible and not having as happy a squad or play a weaker team and keep the squad happy.

Is Gilks a better keeper than Fod? My answer doesn't matter. The answer that matters regarding my point is that one definitely has strengths over the other and vice versa. They are not equal.

13 hours ago, ianferguson said:

The Goalie in his prime would have lost 5 to the  tims in last game but he'd not have saved Griffiths 30 yrd free kick which would have won them the semi. Play your best 11, end of.

Fucking behave yourself mate

4 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

Yes that's a point but what about the euthoria if he comes out Goramesque and nothing can get past him!

He hasn't put a foot or a glove wrong so far so personally I don't have a problem with this.Only time will tell and hindsights a wonderful thing.

4 hours ago, OnwardsandUpwards said:

Yes that's a point but what about the euthoria if he comes out Goramesque and nothing can get past him!

He hasn't put a foot or a glove wrong so far so personally I don't have a problem with this.Only time will tell and hindsights a wonderful thing.

I agree he hasn't done anything wrong but he's only played against lower league opposition! Is this really the game you want to try him out against 'decent' opposition! (I use the term decent loosely).

As you say hindsight will be beautiful! Personally I would rather Fod plays but that's just my opinion! Either way a clean sheet would be fucking beautiful!! 

4 hours ago, OnwardsandUpwards said:

That's the point though, if he gets it wrong then we're out. You okay with those kinds of decisions, selecting second choice keepers in cup games, and cup games like this?