This is the reality

Deanzmeanzheinz

First of all, yes most of them are traitors, greedy fuckers, etc etc I get that but that's not my point.

May 2011 - rangers clinch the title at Rugby Park - Mcgregor, whittaker, papac, boogie, weir, edu, Davis, naismith, Wylde,  jelavic, Lafferty.  Not world beaters but in my opinion it's that standard of player we need to properly challenge for the league. If I'm being honest I think the current taig team is not far off the team they had in 2011. 

Now there are a couple of players you could pfffft at in that team - probably Wylde, Lafferty - although Laff had a happy knack of coming very good in title run ins 

So while there's a big debate about Hill, Wilson, Senderos and Keirnan none of them are close to Weir and Bougherra. And frankly that's the standard of centre half we need. Well at least to feel confident about Sunday 

So ask yourself this Wes or Shagger? Tav or Whittaker? Halliday or Davis? Because for me that's the benchmark currently required to take us back to our rightful place. Or put it another way would our current 11 go down to rugby park next May when the chips are down and win 3,4,5-0?

I think we are well short of that - and Dave King has a promise to live up too. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Tin hat on but the difference might not be so much the players but the guy who is shaping them and sending them out to play.

I think we had a core of better players down the spine back then.

Jelavic, Naismith, Bougie, Weir, Davis, McGregor. Overall the standard was significantly higher.

23 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

First of all, yes most of them are traitors, greedy fuckers, etc etc I get that but that's not my point.

May 2011 - rangers clinch the title at Rugby Park - Mcgregor, whittaker, papac, boogie, weir, edu, Davis, naismith, Wylde,  jelavic, Lafferty.  Not world beaters but in my opinion it's that standard of player we need to properly challenge for the league. If I'm being honest I think the current taig team is not far off the team they had in 2011. 

Now there are a couple of players you could pfffft at in that team - probably Wylde, Lafferty - although Laff had a happy knack of coming very good in title run ins 

So while there's a big debate about Hill, Wilson, Senderos and Keirnan none of them are close to Weir and Bougherra. And frankly that's the standard of centre half we need. Well at least to feel confident about Sunday 

So ask yourself this Wes or Shagger? Tav or Whittaker? Halliday or Davis? Because for me that's the benchmark currently required to take us back to our rightful place. Or put it another way would our current 11 go down to rugby park next May when the chips are down and win 3,4,5-0?

I think we are well short of that - and Dave King has a promise to live up too. 

Totally agree and been saying the same thing myself a lot.

We all know they are rhats but the fact remains we probably lost about 30 million of talent (or put your own figure on it - not going to argue over the amount) but the point is we have not replaced these players and we need this standard of player to compete.

We had a core/spine/title winning mentality with that crop of players. We need to get that back which is where King comes in.

Some of the players we brought in in the summer are questionable so Warburton has to take some responsibility on that front but you can't tell me if King came good and say here's 3/4 million for a good, quality center half - go find one - then there's a good chance we'd get someone decent in.

Whether we spend the money this season, or next it still needs spend - every window that passes we don't spend what's required Celtic stand to get another 20-25 million into their coffers every season with the Champions League and should in theory pull further away from us - which we can't have.

It won't take as much you think either - guys like Cuellar, Mendes, Bougherra, Miller, Davis, Jealvic, Naismith, Cousin etc cost us from between 700k and 4m ... is signing 3 or 4 of these types of players really beyond us?

Spend the money you promised King.

Just now, Inigo said:

I think we had a core of better players down the spine back then.

We did but so did they.

Set up properly this team could do more than enough to match them.

I like Warburton i really do, but a bit more tactical nous wouldn't go astray.

13 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Tin hat on but the difference might not be so much the players but the guy who is shaping them and sending them out to play.

Manager might have his faults but completely disagree.

Half of that team went on to play in the English Premiership (McGregor, Jelavic, Whittaker, Davis, Naismith)

Right now our team consists of free agents and guys who were squad players at Swindon, Doncaster, Wigan, MK Dons.

We need to spend about 10 million on the right players to make the team Europe/Champions of Scotland ready.... most likely wont happen as we dont have the cash.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

We did but so did they.

Set up properly this team could do more than enough to match them.

I like Warburton i really do, but a bit more tactical nous wouldn't go astray.

We are further from what we were than they are from what they were. We couldn't get a result against Man City with these players. No chance. Sellic have better players than us just now, sadly. No doubt about it.

I don't think that calibre of player is needed anymore. Something close to it but not as good as they were. The whole of Scottish football has regressed completely in that time. 

I'd say Wes could be the best keeper in Scotland. Is Gordon setting the heather alight or De Vries? None of them are near McGregors standard but none of them are so much better than the other at the moment. Bit long winded but you can see my point.

Just now, cushynumber said:

It's a matter of trust. The 2011 team earned it. The 2016 team have yet to do so . They may never.

I'd give my left bollock for boogie and wier to be playing on Sunday

Was literally about to post the exact same thing. I wouldn't have dared to spell Sir Davie's surname wrong though.

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I don't think that calibre of player is needed anymore. Something close to it but not as good as they were. The whole of Scottish football has regressed completely in that time. 

I'd say Wes could be the best keeper in Scotland. Is Gordon setting the heather alight or De Vries? None of them are near McGregors standard but none of them are so much better than the other at the moment. Bit long winded but you can see my point.

The whole of Scottish football has regressed?? The nappy tuggers did regress for a while but they are definitely on the up again. Investment of a prem manager, sinclair testify that- as does a 3-3 draw with the premiership favourites. 

59 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

The whole of Scottish football has regressed?? The nappy tuggers did regress for a while but they are definitely on the up again. Investment of a prem manager, sinclair testify that- as does a 3-3 draw with the premiership favourites. 

A harsh reality but fact never the less. Did we think cellic were going to stand still and watch us as we surge to the title on a wave of Warburton euphoria?  I think not. 

We have some work ahead of us.

9 minutes ago, Inigo said:

We are further from what we were than they are from what they were. We couldn't get a result against Man City with these players. No chance. Sellic have better players than us just now, sadly. No doubt about it.

Sadly so.

What annoyed me about that result the bheggars had against Man City was that the tranny shagger studied Citys weaknesses and exploited them but our manager tells us it's not about the opposition its about what we do.

Same way they sussed out our game plan for the last game and totally out foxed us by flooding the midfield.

I agree that that's round about the standard needed, but then again i genuinely don't think Celtic's team just now would even threaten our 3 in a row team. We'd sit in and stifle them, eliminate the threat of their pace and then into the second half step out, take charge of the game and get our goal within 2 or 3 quality moves. We did that time and time again in big games. 

The style now is totally different, for the style we're trying to play you need a different type of player to what we had then - but in truth i actually think you need a slightly higher calibre just because of the high risk that comes with the style. Walters style was about risk management. Every single team we've played in the premiership or the top 4 championship have had spells where they have or had the chance to hurt us. It's just an incredible hard style to find an efficient balance with. Look at barca for example, back in 2011 or 2012 when Bayern absolutely ruined them - that happened because about 3 or 4 players were just one year too far down the line, and bayern ripped them apart. Totally different levels, but for me the calibre of players needed to get this system spot on  just aren't attainable for a Scottish team with football as it is.