The way the Germans played the night against the tarriers

GOAT

That's exactly the way I've always wanted Rangers to play.  Slick passing.  Always on top of the opposition, force them to make mistakes.

We started that way last season, we had a spell towards the end of last season we played the same way.  Then it disappeared, and it's been rotten this season.

whats changed?  Let's get right on top of them from the start on Sunday and force them to make the same mistakes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not got the players for it I don't think. Gladbach are riddled with quality footballers who can play that way. For as good as Holt and Halliday can be, they just don't have the technical ability to be that good on a ball like Gladbach's midfielders are 

Teams sat off of us and let us play last season. We don't get the same liberties in this league so it's tougher. 

With the right players that's how we'd look under Warburton though, imagine he had £6m or so to spend? He'd make wonderful things happen 

That big Kramer barely broke sweat. Stindl was class. Vestergaard had the sellic front line pinned under his pinkie.

We don't have that, sadly. But yeah, we could some lessons from them about shape and pressing.

Gladbach are a good team but, by Bundesliga and CL standards they are very ordinary.  The smhellies were well beaten tonight and made to look as average as they are.... but the fact is, football in Scotland is garbage and we need to seize on that quickly.

Said it once and I will argue to the hilt that if we spent £5m on transfer fees in a sensible manner, we would be equal to then. Possibly stronger given they have enough duds to fill a B team.

it shows they can be beaten and it doesn't have to by teams with the class of Barcelona. We do have to be aggressive. Most of all we have to be purposeful. Too often we slow down the play and lose the ball because we're waiting for gaps rather than forcing them with good running. Once we see forward players making incisive runs, then we'll see just how valuable kranjcar is.

17 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Not got the players for it I don't think. Gladbach are riddled with quality footballers who can play that way. For as good as Holt and Halliday can be, they just don't have the technical ability to be that good on a ball like Gladbach's midfielders are 

Both are decent on the ball. Holt in particular has a great 1st touch and is very neat and tidy in possession. In my opinion they lack the athleticism of top players, like many of our squad unfortunately. Wallace lacks pace and agility as does Wilson. Holt and McKay lack strength (although understandable given their stature). Kiernan and Hill both lack agility as does Senderos. 

Miller (now) lacks acceleration as does Garner. Waghorn lacks acceleration and agility and can be very cumbersome. 

Rossiter and Niko both slow and immobile but at least Rossiter is strong and aggressive. 

Tavernier and Dodoo are the only real athletes in the team. And MOH but he's such a poor footballer he can't use his physical prowess.

At the moment we look like a physically weak, slow team. 

when they played city,  they looked very good,  but lost 3-0. Played the same tonight and won easily. Moved the ball about very quickly both games.  I could see a lot of similarities in what we are trying to do,  but they just move the ball so much quicker. No taking a touch,  just pass to a player,  then straight back out.

42 minutes ago, GOAT said:

That's exactly the way I've always wanted Rangers to play.  Slick passing.  Always on top of the opposition, force them to make mistakes.

We started that way last season, we had a spell towards the end of last season we played the same way.  Then it disappeared, and it's been rotten this season.

whats changed?  Let's get right on top of them from the start on Sunday and force them to make the same mistakes.

In my opinion, that is probably exactly how MW wants his team to set up and play.. unfortunately, you need a higher quality of player than we currently have. Given time, however... ;)

12 minutes ago, gsa said:

Both are decent on the ball. Holt in particular has a great 1st touch and is very neat and tidy in possession. In my opinion they lack the athleticism of top players, like many of our squad unfortunately. Wallace lacks pace and agility as does Wilson. Holt and McKay lack strength (although understandable given their stature). Kiernan and Hill both lack agility as does Senderos. 

Miller (now) lacks acceleration as does Garner. Waghorn lacks acceleration and agility and can be very cumbersome. 

Rossiter and Niko both slow and immobile but at least Rossiter is strong and aggressive. 

Tavernier and Dodoo are the only real athletes in the team. And MOH but he's such a poor footballer he can't use his physical prowess.

Fuck sake you will be taking my moaning title with this post.

I hope Dodoo gets a start, we need some speed and someone to make quick runs into space behind defenders. We saw saw tonight. Forrester could maybe do that as well and he can also be quite crafty. Miller is nailed on for his form and experience so that would be probably be my front three, and keep the same midfield I suppose, or bring in Windass for Holt or even Kranjcar. Our midfield confuses me. <cr> 

As shite as they can be I'm still not that confident about Sunday. Still going to back us at 4/1 though..... and hope for a double celebration . :D 

Even playing with pacy players in the middle 3 (Holt, Windass etc) we still look slow and stale. Our defence is horse shit, that won't change, but I know out midfield and forward 3 can play in a higher gear than what we've seen so far this season.

39 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Dodoo won't play on Sunday 

I agree, I think Waghorn will play with Mckay and Miller/ Garner. In the long run I think Dodoo will prove to be our best forward but the manager appears to have his favourites at least for now.

1 hour ago, gsa said:

Neymar isn't exactly a powerhouse and he copes at the top level, Xabi Alonso isn't a speed demon but he has comfortably controlled midfields for years. You don't need to be a physically gifted person to get to the top, it helps, but in the end it's all down to ability.

Expecting us to perform like Monchengladbach is unrealistic.  Monchengladbach are a Champions League team and we're sitting 4th in the SPL.  If we had serious investment and could bring in players of quality I'm sure we could start dominating again but we're not there now.

Celtic ran at them from the off until they ran out of steam. They did that against Man City and us. We should learn from tonight what to expect and at least deal with it. None so blind as them that will not see, over to us now to put what we have seen to advantage.