The Widow's Son

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Trooblue said:

Total legend, of course.  I was at Ibrox for one of his early games.  We hammered Clyde, and I think it was another hat-trick for Stein.  Then, in the last few minutes he was repeatedly hacked by the Clyde full-back Eddie Mulhearn, and got no protection from the referee.  Stein had his back to Mulhearn, was kicked once, kicked twice, and at the third kick he just turned round and kicked back.  Mulhearn collapsed in a heap. Stein was sent off, of course, but if ever there was justified retaliation this was it. 

Remember that game so well, was almost in tears when Stein got sent off.  To compound the matter, SFA threw the book at him and suspended him for the rest of the season.  That decision effectively finished our league challenge and was a big factor in us losing out in the SC final and Fairs Cup semi final that season.

1 hour ago, Zappa6995 said:

I have man love for Colin Stein.

A proper centre forward.

Legend

Responsible for the greatest football picture of all time.

You tease. ;)

And these are great images too. Personally I think that this top one is better than the one you are probably suggesting.

16gy3uo.jpg

2pskk1j.jpg

Stein_Rennes.jpg

7 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I think you're right.

Was the goal scored at the cellic end, I was too young to go to the disaster game but always thought (without reason) the last goal was scored at our end. 

Greig obviously in the photo, is Davie Smith the other ? The hair stye looks familiar. :)

Think the cellic player is Brogan.

10 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Was the goal scored at the cellic end, I was too young to go to the disaster game but always thought (without reason) the last goal was scored at our end. 

Greig obviously in the photo, is Davie Smith the other ? The hair stye looks familiar. :)

Think the cellic player is Brogan.

Only just noticed first part of your post.  Our goal was definitely at the Broomloan end that day.  The foggy / murky conditions also makes me think that it may have been that terrible day (although those conditions were not uncommon in the 60s/early 70s).

He was the first £100k player in Scotland, scored 3 v Arbroath, 3 v Hivees, 2 v Dundlak and 2 v Clyde and got sent off after reacting enthusiastically to a leg breaker challenge by Brian Mulhearn, A hero of mine when a boy.  I met him at a Barcelona Bears tribute night in EK a few years ago and he is a truly unassuming gent.

20 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

This threads fulla auld cunts 

And a token insecure attention seeking ignorant wee thug type idiot proves the exception to the rule.

Any thoughts on the gers which are pertinent to the thread ?

Can you name the Barcelona team ? 

7 minutes ago, tannerall said:

And a token insecure attention seeking ignorant wee thug type idiot proves the exception to the rule.

Any thoughts on the gers which are pertinent to the thread ?

Can you name the Barcelona team ? 

Haha angry auld cunt 

Calm yourself down chief. Can't take a tiny comment? Issues?

And yes u can. I know all of our history. Read every day about our history. And if you see other comments I'll make you would know that 

23 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

Haha angry auld cunt 

Calm yourself down chief. Can't take a tiny comment? Issues?

And yes u can. I know all of our history. Read every day about our history. And if you see other comments I'll make you would know that 

So you're quite happy still calling fellow fans cunts ?

Just now, tannerall said:

So you;re quite happy still calling fellow fans cunts ?

I think you know that most people from the West use it in a friendly manner. To call me a thug and an idiot for making an off the cuff remark shows your intelligence and hypocrisy with that comment you've just made. 

Peace out bro xxxxxx