George Best

tannerall

Cheers mate , enjoyed watching both clips . They reckon that game against scotland was his finest for his country , the wee run in the last minute was worthy of a goal . Mind older Bears when I was growing up spoke of the games at Windsor in the same way as Wembley !

The other game I've no idea but will guess some select side in a testimonial for Uwe Seeler ?

1 hour ago, slimjim1690 said:

Up there with the best to have played the game, I can only imagine what he would have been like playing on the carpets players get to play on these days, even on the mud heaps teams played on back then he seemed like a ballet dancer, great great player.

Great point, you have take into account the pitches back then not to mention the tackles bordering on GBH from guys like Ron Chopper Harris and Norman Bites Yer Legs Hunter.

a

5 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Great point, you have take into account the pitches back then not to mention the tackles bordering on GBH from guys like Ron Chopper Harris and Norman Bites Yer Legs Hunter.

A magazine I read back then has always stuck in my memory, there was a full spread picture on the centre pages showing all the scars and recent bruises to his body that he had received playing football, it was like a patchwork quilt, he really did take some abuse but then it was a real mans game back then and though he looked skinny he was strong as fuck and kept coming back for more.

I also seem to remember Harris saying something along the lines of "it doesn't matter how many times I clatter him he just gets up and comes back for more".

4 hours ago, tannerall said:

...Almost 50 years ago was at the peak of his career. 

And here's George Best in a blue jersey. (Anyone want to guess the game ?)

as I posted before tannerall I was at that Scotland game....down the front in the Park Drive Stand......6 year old... couldn't see a fucking thing

4 hours ago, bluedylan said:

as I posted before tannerall I was at that Scotland game....down the front in the Park Drive Stand......6 year old... couldn't see a fucking thing

My favourite Best game was when you lot won at Hampden in the 70s ? 

Me and the mates got in at the Rangers end early and went down to the right hand side. Was quite quiet and not a big crowd expected so we decided to skip across in to the enclosure. Doing that we saw the entrance to the stand at the side and went in. We moved along to empty seats as people came in then nobody bothered us and it is the only time  I sat in the main stand at Hampden and I got to watch Best roaming up and down on the left wing from  my seat in the gods. Was a treat. 

He was brilliant and I'm sure he sat on the ball during the second half of the game right below us. Can anyone confirm as I can't find any video ?

Saw him from the enclosure at Ibrox v Hibs, and on the terrace at St Mirren v Hibs. Probably the only non Rangers player I saw from the terrace, the enclosure and the stands. :)

The BBC have a clip of him playing against Chelsea when he is running through the middle of their defence and Chopper Harris just comes across and tries literally to half him in two .Best just squiggles his body and keeps going then sticks it past the keeper and turns and celebrates .No going down in a heap or trying to get a player booked just kept going and scored which is the best response of all.

9 hours ago, Tom0411 said:

The BBC have a clip of him playing against Chelsea when he is running through the middle of their defence and Chopper Harris just comes across and tries literally to half him in two .Best just squiggles his body and keeps going then sticks it past the keeper and turns and celebrates .No going down in a heap or trying to get a player booked just kept going and scored which is the best response of all.

I'm just thankful that I grew up watching fitba back then.

There has never been another player with the natural balance Best had. 

No other player could take the tackles he did and stay on their feet (whether they wanted to or not!)

People like Messi etc  have to work very hard to be as good as they are. Best just had a God given talent. 

4 hours ago, WMT said:

There has never been another player with the natural balance Best had. 

No other player could take the tackles he did and stay on their feet (whether they wanted to or not!)

People like Messi etc  have to work very hard to be as good as they are. Best just had a God given talent. 

While I appreciate you're trying to complement him Ithink you're doing the man a monumental injustice by saying that, Best from what I've heard and gathered was one of the hardest trainers at Manchester United during his absolute peak, by the turn of the 70s that tapered completely but a pure natural talent alone was nowhere near enough to take him to the level he found himself at.

6 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

While I appreciate you're trying to complement him Ithink you're doing the man a monumental injustice by saying that, Best from what I've heard and gathered was one of the hardest trainers at Manchester United during his absolute peak, by the turn of the 70s that tapered completely but a pure natural talent alone was nowhere near enough to take him to the level he found himself at.

I understand what you're saying, but if Best had applied himself half as much as say Ronaldo \ Messi etc. espescially after Sir Matt Busby left the job, his absolute peak would've come later and been so much higher. That's when the partying took over.

Also, coming from NI, he was never going to get to show his talent in the top international stages regularly. If he had been English, they would have statues at the end of every street in England of him by now!