This was needed today.

6 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Halliday's performance yesterday was no better than the one Barton was slated for in the game at the piggery. Yet we have guys on here saying he was one of our better players. Incredible. 

I think Windass actually completed more passes to tarrier players yesterday than he did to our players.

I don't understand the obsession with Halliday, to me he is not good enough or strong enough to play in that central midfield role!

windass was poor and deserved to be subbed but I wouldn't have taken kenny off at same time! He was 1 of our better players and is always capable of that moment of brilliance 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Fair enough, all about opinions I suppose.

As I said other than the 4 players I've mentioned I wouldn't give any of the other players pass marks.

Agreed and I never thought I'd be saying that about Hill and Kiernan a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, livibear101 said:

I don't understand the obsession with Halliday, to me he is not good enough or strong enough to play in that central midfield role!

windass was poor and deserved to be subbed but I wouldn't have taken kenny off at same time! He was 1 of our better players and is always capable of that moment of brilliance 

McKay and Windass should've been off at HT.

I wouldn't have taken Miller off and even Miller himself seemed bemused by that decision.

What's more alarming is that it took 78 minutes for McKay to be brought off. He was horrific.

The subs he made yesterday were baffling to say the least. I'm still not sure what our shape was supposed to be when Waghorn and Garner came on tbh.

1 minute ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

I wouldn't have taken Miller off and even Miller himself seemed bemused by that decision.

What's more alarming is that it took 78 minutes for McKay to be brought off. He was horrific.

The subs he made yesterday yesterday were baffling to say the least. I'm still not sure what our shape was supposed to be when Waghorn and Garner came on tbh.

I know! The tactical decisions made were just crazy. McKay has been off form for ages now and should have been replaced! 1 thing I was glad to see was tav being moved up and hodsen in at RB that was a good move 

I was extremely surprised that bang on 60 mins a sub wasnt made, And when it was it turened out to be Windass who, whilst he didnt have the best game, he was getting on the ball a bit more and running where as McKay done absolutely fuck all. I dont like to jump on peoples back but he has been anonymous for pretty much the whole season and stays on the park longer than Kenny Miller who was supposed to be spearheading our attack was at one point back defending in our own box in a situation that wasnt a corner! Its hard to understand what is being done sometimes. We had a period where we came into in and we had a few half chances. If one of them is taken e.g Holt scores then they were there for the taking. Not angry, just disappointed

55 minutes ago, GOAT said:

See if I was a midfielder that played for Rangers.  First thing on my mind in an OF game is going straight through Brown in the first 10 minutes and letting him know "You're mine today ya wee rhat".

No idea why no one done that. 

An up to speed JB would be that guy.

45 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

The subs he made yesterday yesterday were baffling to say the least. I'm still not sure what our shape was supposed to be when Waghorn and Garner came on tbh.

Things like this will finish MW unless he actually learns himself 

11 hours ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Scott Brown was swaggering about that pitch today like a world beater, running the game for them while getting away with his usual antics. Throwing our players about like wee boys and getting sneaky wee digs in again.

We need someone in this team that isn't afraid to go out there and fucking smash one of their players. Concede the foul, take the booking but send the message to these bastards that they won't have it all their own way.

Barton was supposed to be that guy but that went tits up, Halliday could have been that guy today but never stepped up either.

We've been missing a midfield enforcer since Warburton came in and it's something that needs addressed. It doesn't always have to be about nice football and keeping possession, sometimes you just need a player to go in there and do the dirty work.

IMG_5634.JPG

IMG_5635.JPG

The only player I can see being that guy is Garner, and even he was quiet and reserved yesterday by his own standards. If Harry Forrester had played he would have been stuck in. probably sent off but fuck it, would have been fun to see Mutton have another meltdown.

9 minutes ago, 55Bear said:

The only player I can see being that guy is Garner, and even he was quiet and reserved yesterday by his own standards. If Harry Forrester had played he would have been stuck in. probably sent off but fuck it, would have been fun to see Mutton have another meltdown.

Forrester would be the one person that springs to mind but I'm not sure he could do it without getting a straight red. His tackles are a bit reckless at the best of times.

10 hours ago, gogzy said:

IF he is homesic, then we need a good 7 or so months out of him, playing a lot f fotball.... gt him in the shop window.  IIRC liverpool wanted an 8m development fee if he had gone to another English club.  We got him for 250k.   He looks like a star in the making, i'd love to see him stay for aother 2 years.  but we should be wanting 5m and not a penny less for him.

5 million???

I think we just need our players to be able to pass the ball 5 yards and stop making stupid mistakes. That's why we lost the game IMO, not because our players appear to be too nice. Legoheid really wasn't that great and a crunching tackle on him would have made no difference to the game IMO. We merely shot ourselves in the foot. Again! We made them look good. Again! They barely split us open with real quality. Almost every attack was down to a combination of our players not making themselves available, not making the correct decisions, not being able to pass 5 yards, not being able to control simple passes, giving the ball away and not being able to track your runner.

I agree we are team of soft touches. We do lack dig and we could do with toughening up but quite simply our quality on and off the ball is why we lost. I do agree we need a proper defensive midfielder. One who can run, tackle, position themselves correctly, pass and move. Barton was meant to be that player I believe but it's clearly not working out and Halliday for all his endeavour isn't quite a holding midfielder. I still have hopes Rossiter or Crooks could be the answer but they've been unfortunate with injuries and being called up for international duty. For me, quality is always more important than having an enforcer type player. I think if you look around the world, and that includes the top teams, very few teams actually have that hardman type. It's more about quality and if our players actually play to what their capable of then their lack of dig shouldn't make much difference......

20 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I think we just need our players to be able to pass the ball 5 yards and stop making stupid mistakes. That's why we lost the game IMO, not because our players appear to be too nice. Legoheid really wasn't that great and a crunching tackle on him would have made no difference to the game IMO. We merely shot ourselves in the foot. Again! We made them look good. Again! They barely split us open with real quality. Almost every attack was down to a combination of our players not making themselves available, not making the correct decisions, not being able to pass 5 yards, not being able to control simple passes, giving the ball away and not being able to track your runner.

I agree we are team of soft touches. We do lack dig and we could do with toughening up but quite simply our quality on and off the ball is why we lost. I do agree we need a proper defensive midfielder. One who can run, tackle, position themselves correctly, pass and move. Barton was meant to be that player I believe but it's clearly not working out and Halliday for all his endeavour isn't quite a holding midfielder. I still have hopes Rossiter or Crooks could be the answer but they've been unfortunate with injuries and being called up for international duty. For me, quality is always more important than having an enforcer type player. I think if you look around the world, and that includes the top teams, very few teams actually have that hardman type. It's more about quality and if our players actually play to what their capable of then their lack of dig shouldn't make much difference......

I agree with most of this but to allow quality to shine through you need to win the ball and give it to the clever ones.

A hard midfielder with footballing ability (Souness is a great example) is ideal.

I'm also hopeful that Rossiter or Crooks will give us that going forward.

Halliday tries hard but I don't think he has he physique to carry it out. Having said that Kante manages it okay.

You don't need to do someone to be a hardman, how about someone that simply wont be bullied, will go in hard but fair and can play, 

In the op's post he shows kyle bartley doing brown, only trouble with that is he got booked for it and effectively took himself out of the next 84mins that day, all to be a "hard" man

4 minutes ago, Jasper Blues said:

I agree with most of this but to allow quality to shine through you need to win the ball and give it to the clever ones.

A hard midfielder with footballing ability (Souness is a great example) is ideal.

I'm also hopeful that Rossiter or Crooks will give us that going forward.

Halliday tries hard but I don't think he has he physique to carry it out. Having said that Kante manages it okay.

I fully agree with your first point but it doesn't mean they need to be hard. All you want from your holding midfielder is to read the game well, cover ground, win the ball, pass it on and repeat. Kante as you mentioned is one of the best and he is very lightweight. He however is what every holding midfielder should aspire to be, and with those who have less pace a more Makelele type. Of course I don't expect most players to be as good as Kante or Makelele but if they use them as a benchmark, a lesser version of what they do would be more than fine.

They don't make them like Souness anymore, someone who can play and also hit cunts. You either get a great player on the ball or an Ian Black type. Also, the holding midfield role IMO has evolved over the years and your ability on the ball is more important than being a hardman. Quality will always shine through against everything else. The issue clearly being our quality on the ball has just not been good enough however kicking legoheid would change nothing IMO.

And yip, praying Rossiter and/or Crooks will be the answer. From the limited bits I've seen and heard of them they may very well be. Hopefully anyway.........

We seem to need just about everything that makes a good side, why not just bring in a new manager who can knows what players can do a job for us. The biggest problem is that we have came too far down on this road to the top which is now turning into a dead end of failure on the important aspects of running a football team, it has to change.