Our problem has reversed since the season start

Torontoblue76

Obivous to all maybe, but yesterday we were weaker at the front than the back. I'd like to see the same team start against St. J, except with either MOH or Forrester in for McKay, and depending on fitness, Rossiter in for Halliday. Every time he pulls on the jersey I am less and less impressed with Garner, and Waghorn's confidence seems to go down with every game.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. The back is solidifying whilst the front is running out of ideas. 

It's simply that lack of quality in forward going areas that's been mentioned elsewhere. That wee sprinkle of quality is far more important in attacking areas.

8 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yup. The back is solidifying whilst the front is running out of ideas. 

It's simply that lack of quality in forward going areas that's been mentioned elsewhere. That wee sprinkle of quality is far more important in attacking areas.

What I still can't understand about yesterday was, ok we were playing a deep sitting counter-attacking game against them which in some ways has it's merits but with about 20 minutes to go and when he made his changes, why not O'Halloran and play him on the flanks or even better through the middle?

I'm not an O'Halloran fan by any means - but that was set up perfectly for him and the way we were playing on the counter-attack.

Those fresh legs through the middle like that for last 20 minutes could have got us something but Warburton sees things so differently from the rest of us at times and I think it will end up costing him.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

What I still can't understand about yesterday was, ok we were playing a deep sitting counter-attacking game against them which in some ways has it's merits but with about 20 minutes to go and when he made his changes, why not O'Halloran and play him on the flanks or even better through the middle?

I'm not an O'Halloran fan by any means - but that was set up perfectly for him and the way we were playing on the counter-attack.

Those fresh legs through the middle like that for last 20 minutes could have got us something but Warburton sees things so differently from the rest of us at times and I think it will end up costing him.

Maybe because we have to pay St Johnstone appearance money every time he plays ?

2 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Maybe because we have to pay St Johnstone appearance money every time he plays ?

That would be a stupid reason even if true.

Buy a player then never play him because you have to pay for it. :lol: 

He might be a crap manager but he's not stupid.

2 minutes ago, MasterD said:

That would be a stupid reason even if true.

Buy a player then never play him because you have to pay for it. :lol: 

He might be a crap manager but he's not stupid.

Cosgrove mentioned it on Saturday, said he would like too see him playing because it meant more money for his club..

Dont know if he was talking shite, he usually does.

We're looking solid at the back because our back four were condensed and sitting so deep they hardly left the edge of the box.

Our front 5 players train week in week out to build from the back, maintain possession, with short quick passing. But when your set up so defensively you need a get out ball to a striker who can hold up the ball- like a Prso or Jelavic- and some raw pace- a Lovenkrands, or Alulko. Playing wee guys who want to slow down play like McKay was never going to work because they we're constantly isolated and not strong or direct enough to keep the ball or go past he man. MOH, & Forrester would have given us more direct running. Waghorn or Garner through the middle are both more physical than Miller.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Our intelligent way of moving and passing the ball from last season has completely disappeared.

I agree with that, But is it due to playing against a higher level of opposition?

We seem to get bogged down in midfiled passing in triangles, without a telling pass at the end!

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Our intelligent way of moving and passing the ball from last season has completely disappeared.

Its great against lower quality players but its relatively easy to defend against if you know what you are doing. 2 banks of 4, double up against the wide players and the game is played in front of you - something defenders love.

31 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

The back 4 have been solid for most of the season, it's been the piss poor attack that has lost us most games 

Not sure I would describe them as solid however I agree, not taking our chances when on top has been the main issue, changes the shape of the game. 

Our defense is still shit by the way, just because we've not lost as many goals as we did before doesn't mean we have a good defense now, it's far too short sighted. Due to our poor slow defense we might be sitting deeper now and defending in numbers to protect the goal and that's perhaps why our attack has suffered.

1 hour ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Is that the case mate?  If so what a shocking piece of business that was.  Why the fuck we would agree to a contract like that I'll never know.  

Thought our centre backs played really well yesterday (for a change) , we had no get out though, our midfield was pushed too deep and this one man up front is hopeless as the forwards we have are not strong or big enough, McKay has not kicked a ball this season, he is timid and needs dropped, and due to injurys Waghorn and Windass are not up to speed yet, I was really dissapointed in Halliday yesterday, if any player I was hoping would bully them it was him, but he was bullied out the game.

6 minutes ago, minus22 said:

Is that the case mate?  If so what a shocking piece of business that was.  Why the fuck we would agree to a contract like that I'll never know.  

No chance thats the case.  If there is an 'appearance fee' that will be that we give them a fixed amount after he has played so many games.

10 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Clint Hill is having a good effect on the defense no question and after the cellic game i would either have Hodgson at RB with tav in front of him or give Wallace a rest and put in Hodgson at LB. Clean sheets are a priority as the forwards are hardly banging them in.

I didn't think Tav in midfield worked at all. To me his performance suggested he prefers coming from deeper and having everything in front of him.

On Hodson though, he deserves great credit. To be on the sidelines so often and be so dependable whenever called upon is admirable stuff. He's very reliable on the evidence so far. 

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I didn't think Tav in midfield worked at all. To me his performance suggested he prefers coming from deeper and having everything in front of him.

On Hodson though, he deserves great credit. To be on the sidelines so often and be so dependable whenever called upon is admirable stuff. He's very reliable on the evidence so far. 

I agree my preference is dropping Wallace for Hodgson. I still think we should move to a 4-4-2  formation though to make us harder to beat.