***The official Rangers vs. St Johnstone match thread***

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

Wasn't his first match back from injury early september? surely he should be over it now, he's just not good enough imo.

That particular injury can take a while for a player to get back his confidence in himself. It's obvious that Waghorn has been affected in that way, to me anyway.

Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That particular injury can take a while for a player to get back his confidence in himself. It's obvious that Waghorn has been affected in that way, to me anyway.

He just seems far too awkward and slow on the ball for me even before his injury, the one goal he scored at the start of the season does not give me hope either tbh.

1 minute ago, Lloyd72 said:

He just seems far too awkward and slow on the ball for me even before his injury, the one goal he scored at the start of the season does not give me hope either tbh.

He is still our top scorer. A hamstring injury can be difficult to overcome initially because it can recur at anytime, and the player is aware of that. It is not an injury you can run off or get fit over. I think he will need time. I think he should play from the bench for now, with Mckay, and Dodoo and Garner should start.

2 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

We need forwards who can score against Hearts, Aberdeen and the filth, not Hamilton ffs.

I don't know how to answer that, because he nearly scored, and he did okay in that match, but still he is regaining his form. Yes, he has to prove himself against those teams, but I'm willing to give him time to rediscover his form.

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

He is still our top scorer. A hamstring injury can be difficult to overcome initially because it can recur at anytime, and the player is aware of that. It is not an injury you can run off or get fit over. I think he will need time. I think he should play from the bench for now, with Mckay, and Dodoo and Garner should start.

He's our overall top scorer but most of those goals came against lower league teams.

I agree he should played from the bench with Garner in for him but so should Mckay as he's been out of form for almost 7 months now and needs dropped but since he has played in 64 out of a possible 66 games(apparently) since Warburton arrived I doubt he will be tbh.

4 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

He's our overall top scorer but most of those goals came against lower league teams.

I agree he should played from the bench with Garner in for him but so should Mckay as he's been out of form for almost 7 months now and needs dropped but since he has played in 64 out of a possible 66 games(apparently) since Warburton arrived I doubt he will be tbh.

I can see Warburton's possible thinking as regards Mckay, I don't agree with it, but he knows the player's character better than us, and maybe it's a confidence issue etc. McKay needs more consistency; he has all the talent, but how often can he perform to a high standard. Every great Rangers player, no matter how talented, was defined by their ability to perform to a high standard consistently. That is what we need from McKay, and it's up to him. I don't think he will be playing regularly if he doesn't come through this. He should be playing from the bench in my opinion, but maybe Warburton has very sound reasons for starting with him as often. 

Guest Lloyd72

I'd like this to be our team:

Wes

Tav         Wilson         HIll         Hodson  

Crooks

Halliday              Forrester 

MOH                                            Dodoo

Garner

Time to give the fringe players a chance to show they deserve a spot in the team permanently so I'd play a front 3 with pace on the wings and Garner in the middle, Hodson was good on sunday and doesn't deserve to be dropped but neither does Tav imo but Wallace for me has been very poor this season and needs to be dropped for the next few matches to recapture his form. Forrester in for Holt as I think he needs a rest. Felt bad dropping Gilks but Wes is the number 1.

this will probably be what we end up with: 

Wes

Tav        Kiernan          Hill        Wallace

Halliday

Holt               Windass 

Waghorn                                        Mckay

Miller

Guest Lloyd72
5 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I can see Warburton's possible thinking as regards Mckay, I don't agree with it, but he knows the player's character better than us, and maybe it's a confidence issue etc. McKay needs more consistency; he has all the talent, but how often can he perform to a high standard. Every great Rangers player, no matter how talented, was defined by their ability to perform to a high standard consistently. That is what we need from McKay, and it's up to him. I don't think he will be playing regularly if he doesn't come through this. He should be playing from the bench in my opinion, but maybe Warburton has very sound reasons for starting with him as often. 

I'm probably alone in thinking this but I thought Mckay was one of our better players going forward when he was on in the second half against them, he played Wallace in a few times down the left but the cross was poor from him, he has a lot of talent and the ability and pace to beat his man he just doesn't use it. Seems really shy and mild mannered hopefully Wallace can bring some more personality and confidence out of his game as he went through the same issues at Hearts. I do see why he's playing to show confidence in him but I think he will lose more confidence from that because his head always goes down when he makes a bad decision and then the crowd get on his back which won't help the lad and it's a shame as he does have a lot of potential and is still really young maybe lacks the mentality right now.

Gilks 

Tav Kiernan Hill Hodson 

Rossiter 

Holt Halliday

Moh Miller Forrester 

Show a bit of drive and desire FS 

Lets see some high pressing, rough tackles a bit of drive and intensity! 

Go at them from the off, get in there faces and let them know they are at Ibrox. 

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

I'm probably alone in thinking this but I thought Mckay was one of our better players going forward when he was on in the second half against them, he played Wallace in a few times down the left but the cross was poor from him, he has a lot of talent and the ability and pace to beat his man he just doesn't use it. Seems really shy and mild mannered hopefully Wallace can bring some more personality and confidence out of his game as he went through the same issues at Hearts. I do see why he's playing to show confidence in him but I think he will lose more confidence from that because his head always goes down when he makes a bad decision and then the crowd get on his back which won't help the lad and it's a shame as he does have a lot of potential and is still really young maybe lacks the mentality right now.

I'm critical of the way he cuts in too much; he very rarely keeps the ball wide and hit the cross or the pass from that position; I don't why that is because it appears an obvious deficiency that I would have expected him to have resolved it by now. He also looks complacent in possession, and I though in that match he was the same. I think if he was both more direct and determined he would be three times the player he is now.

Guest Lloyd72
27 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'm critical of the way he cuts in too much; he very rarely keeps the ball wide and hit the cross or the pass from that position; I don't why that is because it appears an obvious deficiency that I would have expected him to have resolved it by now. He also looks complacent in possession, and I though in that match he was the same. I think if he was both more direct and determined he would be three times the player he is now.

I don't blame mckay for that as much as I do the system he is being used in, I remember against ross county he started RW and looked far more comfortable even beating his man a few times but then got moved back to the left and was ineffective. He needs to move quicker and make more runs in behind instead of coming short for the ball, the entire squad this season look worried about passing the ball forward tbh incase they lose possession Warburton even addressed it in a few interviews. It needs to stop.

5 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

I don't blame mckay for that as much as I do the system he is being used in, I remember against ross county he started RW and looked far more comfortable even beating his man a few times but then got moved back to the left and was ineffective. He needs to move quicker and make more runs in behind instead of coming short for the ball, the entire squad this season look worried about passing the ball forward tbh incase they lose possession Warburton even addressed it in a few interviews. It needs to stop.

I blame him in the way he takes a pass. He doesn't take it and then make a run, but appears to act as if we are already winning six nil and wants to rub it in to the opposition; in other words he looks as if he has time to kill. The cutting in thing looks as if he doesn't have confidence to run on and either play the cut-back, the pass across the goal, or even the cross ball with height. He cuts in and appears to expect to meet a striker's feet with the ball. If you were playing against him you would anticipate what he is going to do when he reaches the 18 yard line. Wallace has a good partnership with him when they play and Lee runs on, but often Barrie deliberates on the ball and the attack becomes impotent.

2 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

With him playing on the right side and him not being the quickest even if he's got infront of the defender he has to go back two yards to get on to his left foot and always get caught now.

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Just a thought but as he's been doing this like forever, maybe he's being told to do this, why won't the stubborn MW play him on the right where he is obviously more comfortable, I hate this obsession of playing right footers on the left and vice versa, it's okay on occasion but not permanently.

33 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Just a thought but as he's been doing this like forever, maybe he's being told to do this, why won't the stubborn MW play him on the right where he is obviously more comfortable, I hate this obsession of playing right footers on the left and vice versa, it's okay on occasion but not permanently.

If never thought of it as him playing that way because he was told be merely because it is so obviously the wrong thing to do. It never happens on the other side of the park either. I've never thought it was down to which side of the park he was on.(tu)