Years ahead? Nah.

gsa

Where did this "years ahead" thing come from and why do people moronically repeat it? How can a football team be "years ahead"? What does it even mean? 

How many years would we have said Chelsea, Man U, City, Arsenal, etc were ahead of Leicester? Funnily enough sport doesn't work in year long cycles. It happens dynamically and things can change extremely quickly.  If we signed 3 quality players in January (i accept we won't but theoretically) would that mean we had clawed back X amount of years?

It's embarrassing listening to so called "Rangers men" fawn all over Celtic like they're some elite outfit. 

We've been playing lower league football for 4 years. It wa always going to take some time. Get behind the manager and players and man the fuck up. So many of us seem determined to act like hysterical tims.

We got beat by a single goal from a so called Champions League team. One goal. 

Inagine we get our act together, which make no mistake, we will...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, gsa said:

Where did this "years ahead" thing come from and why do people moronically repeat it? How can a football team be "years ahead"? What does it even mean? 

How many years would we have said Chelsea, Man U, City, Arsenal, etc were ahead of Leicester? Funnily enough sport doesn't work in year long cycles. It happens dynamically and things can change extremely quickly.  If we signed 3 quality players in January (i accept we won't but theoretically) would that mean we had clawed back X amount of years?

It's embarrassing listening to so called "Rangers men" fawn all over Celtic like they're some elite outfit. 

We've been playing lower league football for 4 years. It wa always going to take some time. Get behind the manager and players and man the fuck up. So many of us seem determined to act like hysterical tims.

We got beat by a single goal from a so called Champions League team. One goal.

Inagine we get our act together, which make no mistake, we will...

and got beat by 5 goals to 1 about a month before that.

I do kinda take your point though regarding the years ahead comments.

With the right investment and signings - we can be on a level playing field with them come August next season as the next campaign starts. That's a big if though.

Also most of the comments I've seen have actually said Celtic aint a great team, but they are still far better than us - what does that say about us?

A good manager and £5m spent wisely would see us close the gap to a very, very fine line.  Our squad is not as good as their one but there are 6 or 7 who, with better players around them, would do a better job.

Where said £5m comes from is another question.  Who and/or should get it is another based on £1.6m Garner.

6 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Beaten by one goal, going on 5.

'Years behind' is a term used for exaggeration. We are a long way behind though, squad- wise.

Not that far. Their defence is only marginally better than ours. Brown is a shocking player who's only effective because referees in Scotland are reluctant to actually officiate him. Bitton will be off as soon as possible as will Sinclair and Dembelle. Rogic not as good as Niko and doesnt have the excuse of age for being so slow and unfit. Griffiths is SPL fodder. Both goalkeepers not as good as both of our goalkeepers. 

Just now, gsa said:

Not that far. Their defence is only marginally better than ours. Brown is a shocking player who's only effective because referees in Scotland are reluctant to actually officiate him. Bitton will be off as soon as possible as will Sinclair and Dembelle. Griffiths is SPL fodder. Both goalkeepers not as good as both of our goalkeepers. 

We're not that far behind?

Which of our players would get a game for them? 

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

Not that far. Their defence is only marginally better than ours. Brown is a shocking player who's only effective because referees in Scotland are reluctant to actually officiate him. Bitton will be off as soon as possible as will Sinclair and Dembelle. Griffiths is SPL fodder. Both goalkeepers not as good as both of our goalkeepers. 

There were two Celtc fans today absolutely convinced they can get £20m for Dembele.  I honestly could not breath for laughing at them but they were so serious.  That deluded mentality is our asset and we should take advantage sooner rather than later whilst we still have the chance to cause a surprise.

On paper I really don't see any major differences between the two sides. I'd have any of our keepers over theirs. I'd have Tav and Wallace over their full backs. Centre halves for both sides are vulnerable. I look at their midfield of nae neck, Bitton, legoheid and rogic who really aren't that good IMO. Sinclair, Dembele and thumb apart they're not anything to fear and even they aren't world beaters.

Sadly we have under performed far too often and continue to make stupid mistakes on a consistent basis. We've also had a bit of bad luck in some games, as well as some unfortunate injuries to key players although that's not an excuse. It's frustrating as fuck as I genuinely can't see a significant gulf but until we actually show it on the park nothing else matters.

Just now, kanjo said:

There were two Celtc fans today absolutely convinced they can get £20m for Dembele.  I honestly could not breath for laughing at them but they were so serious.  That deluded mentality is our asset and we should take advantage sooner rather than later whilst we still have the chance to cause a surprise.

He'l sign for someone like Sunderland, score 9 goals a season and in 5 years he'l be playing for someone like Birmingham in the Championship. 

1 minute ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

So there is no gap,the moon landings didn't happen,Elvis is still alive and Barrie MacKay is as brave as a lion.

Did you read the posts or just comment to be a complete wanker? 

Nobdody claimed in this thread that there is no gap. Only that it cannot be measured in "years". Try reading the posts. 

Back in 2000 Advocaat had rangers playing the best football I've ever seen a rangers team play. That summer the Shettleston's appointed martin  oneill and gave him a big transfer budget. From losing the league by around d 20pts to winning by a similar margin in the space of 12 months. And they were told they were years behind us then. 

It can be one year or a hundred years - we need money 

One other thing - if they get to 9 in a row they will throw all kinds of money to make it 10. The clock is ticking - maybe DK has decided to hand his money to his kids after all. 

At this time of night I think some of the posters on here have already started dreaming. The only reason we were not royally embarrassed yesterday was because of: 

Our fantastic keeper

Their poor finishing and

A lucky break from a poor refereeing decision.

The problem for us seems to be (against them at any rate) that either we attack and get picked off or we defend and create next to nothing. A proper rounded side should actually be capable of doing both.

1 minute ago, gsa said:

Did you read the posts or just comment to be a complete wanker? 

Nobdody claimed in this thread that there is no gap. Only that it cannot be measured in "years". Try reading the posts. 

You're trying to deflect in my opinion by making a narrow point about the language being used to describe the gap,I can't remember two consecutive old firm games when he have hardly laid a glove on them and that's what worries me but if you would rather concentrate on the gap between the teams being described in years then so be it.

11 minutes ago, kanjo said:

There's a reason he's up here and not at a premiership team. He's good up here because he is quick but not good enough especially to warrent that kind of money. They are deluded

How long will it take us to assemble a squad that is as good as Celtics? No they are not that good but they are better than us and i was hoping our signings this summer would have narrowed the gap but actually they have been a disaster and a wasted opportunity to narrow the gap. In addition they won't stand still waiting on us catching them - they will also try and improve as they already have shown with signings such as Dembele. 

With no significant investment in our squad it could easily be years till we assemble a squad good enough.That's what I would mean by being years behind.

And frankly that's unacceptable. 

They will soon change there choone if we win all our games up to the next scum game at Ibrox, big ask I know but that's what we should be aiming to do, there desperate to shout about them being years ahead of us because deep down they know we will be back at the top some day, they think if they say it enough then it will keep us below them, I'm not buying that, it's them and not us who have the insecurity complex, when we lift 55 the lot of them will really need therapy and I include the mhedia in that! Keef and aw they Fanny's at the rhecord take note.

17 minutes ago, standup said:

In the big picture it is them who are years behind. How long will it take them to become the worlds most successful club.

Like THAT would ever happen. We'll be at a higher level than Celtic in no more than two years and I'm not ruling out winning the title this season yet if drastic changes are made at the window and we don't lose more ground.

Surely someone has got to see that we're a club with enormous potential but we can only make profit and draw revenue by being in our rightful place in the Champions League.

As much as it hurts to say it.. The two things they have that we lack.. A decent manager & strikers who are putting the ball in the net! 

On paper there is very little between the sides imo! However they seem to be set up to win games & adapt when needed! We have the same set up week in week out with the same personnel in positions that need changed and rotations in positions that should be cemented! 

This talk of the "gap" being reduced is a lot of shite! It's exactly the same as it was a month ago.. The difference? Warbs set us up to sit in on Sunday & keep the score down! 

4 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

They will soon change there choone if we win all our games up to the next scum game at Ibrox, big ask I know but that's what we should be aiming to do, there desperate to shout about them being years ahead of us because deep down they know we will be ba

Do you even believe what your saying? We've won 4 games out of 9 this season and you think we can go and win the next 11 on the spin? Based on what exactly? 

2 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Do you even believe what your saying? We've won 4 games out of 9 this season and you think we can go and win the next 11 on the spin? Based on what exactly? 

Listen the league's the most important thing and I did say it was a big ask, what we meant to do? Just surrender and say aw fuck were no good enough and take it up the arse, 

Just now, superallysbears said:

Listen the league's the most important thing and I did say it was a big ask, what we meant to do? Just surrender and say aw fuck were no good enough and take it up the arse, 

Do you honestly believe we will win the next 11 games?