Gaz52

Are we going to finish 2nd?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Confident or not?

• Confident
    • Not confident
    • Not sure

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Indeed. But they're what we're stuck with so the problem doesn't go away and my concerns/points are still valid.

I am not disagreeing with you, Im just saying our problems are not easily fixed, if we overextend our finances again we will be fucked.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

Shower of gutless bastards and/or tarriers on here

On what basis this season do you have any kind of optimism though? I've been to about 80% of the games this season home and away and it's been painful at times. We were rotten on Sunday and were lucky to only lose 1-0. I'll be there tomorrow night and I reckon we'll be lucky to win. Can see it being a scrappy 1-0 and that's me being optimistic.

2nd

Aberdeen had 1.87 points per game last season and Hearts had 1.71 points per game. They have therefore both had a good start to the season. Neither of them I would imagine will be recruiting in January whilst we have a slim chance if the Barton nonsense is sorted. They also have slimmer squads than us so In the long run we will get 2nd. It won't be pretty by any means at times.

Just now, BigBearButt said:

I am not disagreeing with you, Im just saying our problems are not easily fixed, if we overextend our finances again we will be fucked.

I know mate but there also has to come a point where we push the boat out & speculate to accumulate to get us to the level we need to be at.

Our current strategy has failed us. I predicted as much and said it was Football Manager nonsense to take a team of freebies and lesser known players from the English lower leagues, hope they are all gems, beat Celtic to the title, qualify for the Champions League and save ourself the 30-50 million King talked about.

Just doesn't work that way and the people at our club need to be held accountable for being so stupid to persue it as a decent model to get us "where we need to be" King's words again.

I am confident we'll finish 2nd in the end but I feel it will be very tight throughout the rest of the season if we don't get our January recruitment right. 

These next 5 games will be a massive sign on how our season will go however. 5 very winnable games (in theory) before the big 3 games with Hearts and Aberdeen. 

Admittedly the task has just got harder with Niko out but I am still confident. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

I know mate but there also has to come a point where we push the boat out & speculate to accumulate to get us to the level we need to be at.

Our current strategy has failed us. I predicted as much and said it was Football Manager nonsense to take a team of freebies and lesser known players from the English lower leagues, hope they are all gems, beat Celtic to the title, qualify for the Champions League and save ourself the 30-50 million King talked about.

Just doesn't work that way and the people at our club need to be held accountable for being so stupid to persue it as a decent model to get us "where we need to be" King's words again.

First things first we need to remove some of the deadwood off the wage bill (Barton, MoH since warburton doesnt rate him, Waghorn not signing a new deal)

I do think with a couple of quality additions we wouldnt be far off but I dont see king splashing out £3-5 million on a player or two.

I also think people are writing off some of the players too early, I'm still holding out hope the likes of Rossiter and windass will fulfill their potential likewise Garner, Dodoo, Forrester and Crooks. None have had any substantial game time either through injury or not performing when subbed/training.

If none of our strikers are better than a 36/7 year old Kenny Miller then we are in trouble, Miller has been a great servant to the club but he is past it and we need to be brave and play one of the younger players at our disposal 

46 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I think we can finish 2nd but I am not sure whether we actually will.

MW doesn't know his strongest team. We still have too many not in form or coming back from injury so not sharp. The defense while looking better is still prone to lapses. We are not scoring nearly enough goals to justify a 4-3-3 formation. For me there are too many negatives and not enough positives and saying Hearts and Aberdeen are shite isn't good enough - we still have to beat them and beat more of the other teams than they do. We are not doing that yet.

However a good run up till xmas could easily put us in 2nd position, but it is seeing where that run is coming from based on current evidence rather than blind faith thats the problem.

He doesn't know strongest team but certainly knows his favourite one. 

1 minute ago, BigBearButt said:

First things first we need to remove some of the deadwood off the wage bill (Barton, MoH since warburton doesnt rate him, Waghorn not signing a new deal)

I do think with a couple of quality additions we wouldnt be far off but I dont see king splashing out £3-5 million on a player or two.

I also think people are writing off some of the players too early, I'm still holding out hope the likes of Rossiter and windass will fulfill their potential likewise Garner, Dodoo, Forrester and Crooks. None have had any substantial game time either through injury or not performing when subbed/training.

If none of our strikers are better than a 36/7 year old Kenny Miller then we are in trouble, Miller has been a great servant to the club but he is past it and we need to be brave and play one of the younger players at our disposal 

Forrester is a good player but again he seems like another Warburton doesn't fancy for whatever reason.

Crooks not seen much of him but my gut feeling tells me he's not going to be a priority over Holt or Halliday. I can't tell you if that's right or wrong until I see more the guy play.

Garner I don't think will do a job for us but not entirely his fault - it's not his fault he cost almost 2 million and Warburton doesn't play him and when he does he seems to be wide right. He would probably work better in a 4-4-2 but again that's not going to happen plus I don't think he's done himself justice any time he has played too, to flip it.

Dodoo I think I've seen enough. Don't rate him at all. If he proves me wrong then magic.

What we really need is to get out there and identify and then spend maybe 3-4 million on a right good Steve Davis type midfielder. Someone who can break with the ball, beat a man, take a touch, drive and probe with it & a right good engine. That would make all the difference for starters,

I think the reason our forwards look so pish is that they play in that inter-changable 3 which means none of them are really nailed down in the box for cut backs and any break throughs that do come our way. I think we might get a bit more from them if we scrap that stupid inter-changable 3 forwards tactic that he loves so much.

Yes, I think we will. I'm fairly confident. Most of my criticism is based on the benchmark we should have which is sellic.

We are not good enough to win the league, nothing like it, but I think we will be second by a smallish margin.

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

I think being 'real' is admitting that Celtic are a lot better than anything else in he SPL and their results each week show that. So measuring us against is pointless 

We dominated Aberdeen at Pittodrie and harshly lost. Hearts have Connor Sammon up front and people are quivering at the thought of them. 

We do need to get real and realise that it's just Aberdeen and fucking Hearts. 

We are currently on a 2 game win streak in the league, a good chance to make it 5 over the next 3 games. Aberdeen will drop points to the tims on Saturday. 

I think this is spot on. I saw little against Aberdeen to convince me that they are great, despite the result. Unfortunately Celtic are the best team in the league currently. 

We do have the players to achieve second over the course of a season. Like I said on another thread we have really struggled with injuries/fitness and some odd selection decisions that have stopped us playing a settled team from one game to the next. Wallace and Mackay posted missing but not dropped, even though we have other players signed to play in those positions. Injuries to Waghorn, Rossiter, Dodoo, Kranjcar, Holt, Windass and Crooks. The Barton debacle.

It is crucial that Warburton deals with that and nails down his first 11. If we can put a run together between now and Christmas I reckon we can be in 2nd with a few points cushion by then. To not finish in second by then end of the season would be a failure in my opinion. I hate talking about second as a Rangers fan though.......it is not right. 

i did not vote,

i think it is possible to finish second. but by no means certain.

there were some positives against Septic. we defended better and Keirnan was one of our successes, albeit we rode our luck at times.

where we failed was on the few breaks forward our passing was abysmal.

Windass in particular was poor, i think he will come good and deserves more chances, he has pace and potential.

losing Kranjcar was a blow although i would not have started him, which made the decision not to start Forrester simply baffling and the inclusion of a clearly off the boil McKay was unbelievable.

Rossiter is being written off without a chance. Crooks needs a chance to prove himself.

if we could pass the ball better and create more chances we could perhaps sneak second.

also i would like to see us having more attempts from outside the box, as we seem intend on only scoring from free kicks or from inside the 6 yard box

January, we may get some deadwood off the payroll and perhaps one or two additions may give us a chance.

i wish i could say we had a chance of winning the title, but while i am an optimist but also a realist

Realistically, second has to be our target this season. Our budget and general expectation as a club can be absolutely nothing less.

Having said that, based on the season thus far, I'm not confident that we can achieve that.

Let's be honest; our season has been a bit of a disaster so far, less than three months since #goingfor55 was being touted.

Our marquee signing, Barton, was suspended after just a handful of mediocre league games and six weeks later, he's still on the payroll despite spending his time signing copies of his book. Our next big attraction, Kranjcar, has looked significantly off the pace; starting with being sent for a hotdog for Hamilton's goal at Ibrox, including an appalling 45 minute cameo at Parkhead and from what I understand, ending with a season-threatening knee injury.

Senderos topped-off an abysmal debut with a shocking sending-off, Clint Hill has been out-paced by Kris Boyd, Rossiter has accumulated around 90 minutes of football in five months, Crooks has accumulated a shakey ten minutes, Joe Garner is £1.8M of anger and ankle wrestling while, to put Dodoo into perspective, he's older than Celtic,s Dembelé.

We've dropped points at home to Kilmarnock and Ross County, lost late on at Pittodrie, been humiliated at Parkhead in the biggest Old Firm loss in 16 years and at the weekend, lost a late goal that secured Celtic a place in the Cup final.

It is a difficult time to be a Bear, I'll be honest.

I'm not sure why the poll has three options. If you're not sure if you're confident, then you're not confident...

Anyway, I'm not confident. I'm hopeful, I expect us to do what it takes to finish second (as hard as it is to say we should be pushing for second). Confidence would come from performances demonstrating that we have the guts and ability to come second. I've not seen that yet, but it had better be coming.

I expected top half of the table on our first season promoted, anything else is a bonus. Don't know where people got the idea we were going to be title challengers from, never seen anything in our performances to suggest that

I wonder what people were realistically expecting this season,  specifically after 4 years in the wilderness,  with very limited resources in comparison to what we used to enjoy,  no scouting system,  not real coaching system to speak of,  an array of hopeless managers at the helm and wage thieves playing in the team. While we all want to win the league,  and its by no means set in stone that we won't,  we all knew that that the real challenge this season we finishing second and getting into Europe.   Anyone who expected us to romp to 55 is either deluded or full of shite. 

I would urge caution when listening to the pundits when they talk about gulfs and gaps.  There is a fiscal disparity at the moment,  nothing more than that. 

People really need to take a more pragmatic look at things and realise what has been achieved so far i Warburtons tenure and what little he's had to do so,  in contrast to other Rangers sides. 

I said yes because I couldn't stomach the thought of not, but in reality I'm not so sure. I'd say we've got the 4th best squad in the league, yes worse than Aberdeen and Hearts too, but I still have a sliver of faith in MW that he can turn us around in steer us to second and hopefully silverware.

I assume the 3 year plan Warburton and the board have in place is:

• Year 1 - to get promotion from the championship (completed)
  • Year 2 - to "be more than competitive" and attain a place in Europe
  • Year 3 - I can only hope the plan was to topple the fenian cunts and win 55

I feel like we're a bit behind where we should be in this 2nd year of the plan due to some transfers not panning out as we'd hoped (and the shit results obviously). I'm not confident at this moment in time being honest, however, I sincerely hope we find our feet fucking pronto!

Failure to achieve 2nd this year is completely unacceptable. 

Ideally we string wins together throughout our upcoming tough run of games at the end of the year then add quality in January (whether it be a few loans or outright buys), getting 2nd place and Europe. Then (ideally again) we add even more quality in the summer.

Pains me to say I can't see this happening though sadly.