Subs

The manager's subs never seem to positively influence a game, it's fucking infuriating. The only exception to the rule I can think of is Kranjcar v Motherwell maybe. I'm not calling for MW's head but it's something that's becoming impossible to deny imo.

Even on Sunday, the subs did nothing and arguably helped Celtic. We should have got fresh legs in midfield, not replacing all of our front three like for like.

It's a huge part of the game, especially when we consistently give away the first goal.

1 minute ago, the goal machine said:

The manager's subs never seem to positively influence a game, it's fucking infuriating. The only exception to the rule I can think of is Kranjcar v Motherwell maybe. I'm not calling for MW's head but it's something that's becoming impossible to deny imo.

Even on Sunday, the subs did nothing and arguably helped Celtic. We should have got fresh legs in midfield, not replacing all of our front three like for like.

It's a huge part of the game, especially when he consistently give away the first goal.

The like for like thing is so annoying. You'd think when he brings Miller on and Garner is still on, yes we are going 442, but Kenny Miller ends up LW? Left fucking wing. 

10 minutes ago, WGOH said:

The like for like thing is so annoying. You'd think when he brings Miller on and Garner is still on, yes we are going 442, but Kenny Miller ends up LW? Left fucking wing. 

Aye, everyone could see their defence struggled when someone ran at them so why bring on a 36 year old striker to play on the wing? Madness.

27 minutes ago, WGOH said:

A waste of a substitution. Why the fuck does MW think Miller can play left wing. He did it at the piggery and hasn't learned from it. 

1 hour ago, rfc1990 said:

Holt and Halliday should have came off tonight. Both played poor. MW has his favourites, who play poor constantly, players not getting games must be wondering what they need to do to get a chance. 

Thought Holt played ok to be honest, but fuck knows what Halliday is doing at the moment, just running about aimlessly, losing the ball and gurning.

Av no seen a tactical sub fa Warburton yit. Seems like it gets to 60-65 mins then he decides to give a few players a game just to keep them happy. Never seen a manager sub players every game at the same time just for the sake of it. Its like fucking groundhog day 

30 minutes ago, WATP84JRL said:

Av no seen a tactical sub fa Warburton yit. Seems like it gets to 60-65 mins then he decides to give a few players a game just to keep them happy. Never seen a manager sub players every game at the same time just for the sake of it. Its like fucking groundhog day 

Its because he manages in theories (optimum time for fitness reasons) and not by using what he sees happening infront of him with his own eyes

I am a massive Warburton fan but that is something that annoyed me tonight. Thought Windass was looking like he was ready to get a grip of the game and then he is pulled off. I also thought Garner was looking dangerous and linking up effectively with the midfield when he was taken off. I didn't have any problems with who was going on but more the players that were being taken off.

3 hours ago, the goal machine said:

It's a huge part of the game, especially when we consistently give away the first goal.

I agree, I hate to make this comparison but

Look at Celtic subs on Sunday,

Bitton, good tackler and held the ball up well replaced with Armstrong who was good at going forward. So giving up some midfield control for some forward aggression which 0-0 at 60 is a good idea. and at that, Rodgers would have already seen our midfield having a nightmare. So no loss there.

Rogic, a big goal threat. Made a good amount of efforts on goal replaced with Griffiths another big goal scoring threat. Anything lost? Not at all. 

The last sub was just time wasting though, so tactically that's sound too. Celtic are our rivals, and one thing we will need to get right is subs.

They can massively impact a game but for example tonight,

Windass went off and Miller came on. More lost than gained there in all honesty. Another possible goal scorer but Windass was someone who is direct and started attacks. Miller doesn't have that same aspect of his game, he's better suited on the end result of a midfielders attack.

Forrester taken off for McKay. This one is a more of a straight swap in terms of position but forrester for me is definitely a scrappy player and did at least try to take on opponents. McKay didn't, he stayed in our own half more often than not.

Garner off for Waghorn. Taken off the goalscorer for someone who hasn't been having the best of runs, and at so late in the game where chances were few and far between. We were getting mileage and our first goal came from crosses. Waghorn has a tendency to walk the ball into the box. 

so our tactics just aren't right. We don't gain anything from our subs, if anything we lose more than we gain. Windass did take a knock so it could've been a cautionary thing but after he got some medical attention he came on and looked best he did all game. 

Again I hate bringing up celtic as a comparison but we do need to swallow our pride and admit they do have something right that we are currently needing to aspire too. They lose virtually nothing in their subs and are able to make 8 changes and still comfortably beat a team 0-3 away from home. 

2 hours ago, AldoKrfc said:

I am a massive Warburton fan but that is something that annoyed me tonight. Thought Windass was looking like he was ready to get a grip of the game and then he is pulled off. I also thought Garner was looking dangerous and linking up effectively with the midfield when he was taken off. I didn't have any problems with who was going on but more the players that were being taken off.

I thought Windass was limping when he came off, I think that was why he was subbed.