Do we expect too much?

Miller time

20 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Sometimes. I think football has changed a little and the lesser teams have become less fearless and more difficult to break down whereas the better teams are struggling to break their opponents down. I also think the overall gulf in most leagues has been reduced.

Over the last few months the so called greatest teams in world football have found difficulties. Barca lost at home to Alaves then shipped 4 at Celta, Real went about 5 games without a win, Man City are 6 without a win, Man United got pumped by Chelsea and have looked generally quite poor, Chelsea, Arsenal Spurs etc have been hit and miss and Bayern and Dortmund have struggled in spells. I think there was one weekend when pretty much all of the above failed to win.

Of course I'm not comparing us to their level and their opponents to our opponents level but I think the gulf between oppositions is comparable if not more in favour of the big teams named about. Even at international level Northern Ireland, Iceland etc are showing what is possible and the likes of Malta, the Faroes, Azerbaijan are proving difficult to beat too.

I agree we can and should be doing better though and we should never accept mediocrity. We should always strive to be the best. The line between success and failure is so fine however. We're going through a tough time and I hope we can get out of it asap. I believe we are good enough. We just need to show it on the park.

Sometimes i think that, then i look closer to home and see how far the bheggars are in front already.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are every bit a mid table team right now. The manager took a gamble with our signings and so far it hasn't paid off. I was one of the fans who wasn't impressed with the Barton signing and unfortunately has been proven to be correct. Kranjčar is prone to injury and in my opinion will probably retire soon. he is in no way fit enough to play in the kind of system our manager likes to play. Windass for me is a bit like Forrester; too inconsistent. I also think this of most of our players. Too many of them are off the boil and we have lost that dynamism we showed last year. 

Hopefully things will click together soon with a bit of luck, but it's looking increasingly unlikely without some proper investment from the board. And on a side note i really hate the formation we play. I just don't think that it is working. i prefer two up front at all times. I'm a bit of a traditionalist that way.

I don't want to lose faith in Warburton but without proper investment from the board the fans are already becoming increasingly restless. Patience is not something that we do well, let's be honest. 

15 hours ago, Bertent said:

Just proves the campaign to lower expectations is working with some. 

This, i've never seen so many new faces on here opening the door and letting Mediocrity walk right in at Rangers, It started with the Comical Board appointed and has filtered down to the team and Support.

37 minutes ago, Smile said:

This, i've never seen so many new faces on here opening the door and letting Mediocrity walk right in at Rangers, It started with the Comical Board appointed and has filtered down to the team and Support.

Was that the comical board that had a tent on the pitch for the AGM or the comical board that handed lovely retail deals to Big Mike with a big bow tied round them? :belm:

1 minute ago, Lidl said:

Was that the comical board that had a tent on the pitch for the AGM or the comical board that handed lovely retail deals to Big Mike with a big bow tied round them? :belm:

No the comical board that allowed a player to get attacked at Motherwell and players and supporters to be  attacked at the Cup final those cowardly bastards. 

On 27/10/2016 at 8:54 AM, plumbGER said:

Ferguson could change his tactics to win at all costs, Ferguson could make a sub to change a game (solsjkaer).

Expect too much? No.

Expect more than a point at home to St.Johnstone, Hamilton etc.

Is that where we are at now?

No more excuses, his system is failing him and if he can't change it to suit then he has to do the honourable thing and admit the job is too big for him.

A bit like everyone was saying during SAF first 4 years in charge at Man U 

46 minutes ago, Smile said:

Nobody is accepting mediocrity - but some ( of us) don't expect the greatness we will achieve to happen instantly and accept it's a process. 

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Let us hope we don't make the same mistake Man Utd did with Pique we can't afford to let Kiernan be picked up by Barcelona.:matron:

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Nobody is accepting mediocrity - but some ( of us) don't expect the greatness we will achieve to happen instantly and accept it's a process. 

Its like settling for a fat spotty burd when you can pull a stunner, Stunner everytime for me you stick with Plooky.:belm:

18 minutes ago, Smile said:

No the comical board that allowed a player to get attacked at Motherwell and players and supporters to be  attacked at the Cup final those cowardly bastards. 

The board of Rangers employ the stewarding at grounds outside of Ibrox now. That's a new one to me.

27 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

And like others have said on here, Ferguson had won a European trophy with the sheep.

Quite an achievement it must be said.

Mark Warburton can't point to his CV with the same accolade to back his methods up.

Sure it might work with Barca and such likes with the level of player they have, but we are dealing with players with limited abilities and skill sets.

I want it to work, i really do, but most people can see it isn't.

We have had rotten luck this season with injuries and the Barton saga.

That's fair enough, we can cut him some slack for that, but by continually employing the same tactics and formations and results remaining poor i can only see the pressure building for him to go.

Coming out the toilet in the club deck the other night, some old guy (ages with yourself), was cracking right up to me about the state of the team.

Never a Rangers manager in a million years he's shouting, discontent is growing and you must have heard the boos at the end? 

42 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

To be fair, I think most of us would have accepted a bit of adequacy.

On 27/10/2016 at 8:46 AM, Queen's_highway said:

Just look at what we were looking at not long ago.

We may have not been able to have a moan about our team anymore after everyone tried to end us.

We're just back in the spl and I know it's awful watching us right now but back then I would have gave anything to be where we are.

Last season every fan was shooting their load over Warburton and now they think he's a terrible manager.

We as rangers fans expect our team to win every game but it's just not the same anymore. 

The likes of superstars playing for us has gone. 

This is the first season back and every team out there wants to give us a doing.

In no way am I saying that Warburton is like Alex Ferguson but everyone wanted him sacked and now he's regarded as one of the best (if not thee best) managers of all time.

I feel we just need to get this season out of the way and hopefully next season we'll be stronger and our team and management will be more experienced with what to deal with 

We expected to challenge for the league & cups

If we cant do that?

Good post. I've said it since the start of the season. Warburton has his faults, no doubt about that but we aren't the same team from the Smith years and sadly enough we are quite a bit away from competing with Celtic. It isn't our fault, Warburton's fault or even Dave King's fault that we're in this rebuilding phase, but we are. It's obviously hard and will get harder but we'll get there, we'll just have to be (I know, I know, I hate hearing it as well) patient. Whether Warburton is the man to lead us back to top only time will tell but shouts for sacking him right now is beyond stupid. 

27 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

I have a suspicion that MW will forever be behind declan rodgers.

Same as many of the savillite managers were second in the queue to SWS.

He needs to severe his friendship with the guy - and take the gloves off and give declan a good fucking skelping.

Rodgers has been given huge money/wages for players to win a cash strapped league. Swansea aside, he's failed at every other job he's took. Managerial wise him and Warburton aren't too far apart. Same philosophy, same style etc but one has had huge backing on an already title winning team and the other has been searching the lower leagues of England because that's within our budget, on top of that we are easily the most hated club in the Country and every game is a cup final where as everyone's afraid of the myth that is Rodgers and his team. 

37 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Rodgers has been given huge money/wages for players to win a cash strapped league. Swansea aside, he's failed at every other job he's took. Managerial wise him and Warburton aren't too far apart. Same philosophy, same style etc but one has had huge backing on an already title winning team and the other has been searching the lower leagues of England because that's within our budget, on top of that we are easily the most hated club in the Country and every game is a cup final where as everyone's afraid of the myth that is Rodgers and his team. 

At the mo, MW is subservient to declan - he must cut that out immediately if he's going to cut it in Glasgow. 

Ironic that those posters willing to be patient, to realise an ambition of a team capable of not only winning, but winning playing an open, fluid, attractive style of football is somehow spun as accepting mediocrity...I would say personally what I'm demanding is actually a higher level than simply accepting a team setup to grind out 1-0 victories to keep those infatuated with Celtic happy.

Don't incorrectly confuse this with not questioning MW, there are big question marks at the moment, and he must address them pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, HG5 said:

To be fair, I think most of us would have accepted a bit of adequacy.

I think if we could see some of the positives the other posters bang on about, maybe we just aren't bright enough to see the Philosophy. 

I think elements of our support need too be very careful NOT to lower their expectations.

Sure, there's a fine line between being expectant and being entitled and spoiled - but we are a giant fish in a small pond, a backwater league. With the financial gulf ever increasing between the top leagues and leagues like ours, the big fish in the small pond like Rangers, Celtic, Dutch sides, Scandinavian sides, Portuguese sides and the like have to scrap tooth and nail to even compete.

Our only claim to being a big club in 2016 is our proud history and fanbase. If the expectation goes away, so too does the fanbase. In essence, as soon as we supporters lower our expectations we're absolutely done as a club of any relevance. Bare that in mind in threads like this. 

6 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

I think elements of our support need too be very careful NOT to lower their expectations.

Sure, there's a fine line between being expectant and being entitled and spoiled - but we are a giant fish in a small pond, a backwater league. With the financial gulf ever increasing between the top leagues and leagues like ours, the big fish in the small pond like Rangers, Celtic, Dutch sides, Scandinavian sides, Portuguese sides and the like have to scrap tooth and nail to even compete.

Our only claim to being a big club in 2016 is our proud history and fanbase. If the expectation goes away, so too does the fanbase. In essence, as soon as we supporters lower our expectations we're absolutely done as a club of any relevance. Bare that in mind in threads like this. 

Whatever else has happened we are still Rangers :541: