3 Years

To Be A Ranger

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 72 we won the european cup winners cup. Its not a bad foundation to build a team on. MW has nowhere near that level of squad at his disposal. Also, the commercials in football have changed beyond all recognition in the 40 years since Wallace. Players then came to play for Ranger because they could, because they wanted to and the money on offer down south was on a par, making it far easier to keep good scottish players north of the border. In fact I believe every player involved in the 72-73 final was scottish - on both sides - and some of those players were the best that British football had to offer.

I think MW has far more catching up to do and i think 3 years is asking a lot without throwing funny money at it.

To be honest I think the whole comparison is a bit of a nonsense.

7 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

In 72 we won the european cup winners cup. Its not a bad foundation to build a team on. MW has nowhere near that level of squad at his disposal. Also, the commercials in football have changed beyond all recognition in the 40 years since Wallace. Players then came to play for Ranger because they could, because they wanted to and the money on offer down south was on a par, making it far easier to keep good scottish players north of the border. In fact I believe every player involved in the 72-73 final was scottish - on both sides - and some of those players were the best that British football had to offer.

I think MW has far more catching up to do and i think 3 years is asking a lot without throwing funny money at it.

To be honest I think the whole comparison is a bit of a nonsense.

Don't think anyone is comparing the two scenarios. I just dressed it up to show that there can be a good outcome when all seems lost and maybe patience is a virtue we should be aware of.

All MW has to do is swallow his pride and get the finger out.

3 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Don't think anyone is comparing the two scenarios. I just dressed it up to show that there can be a good outcome when all seems lost and maybe patience is a virtue we should be aware of.

All MW has to do is swallow his pride and get the finger out.

I dont get this all seems lost bit - we won a euro trophy on 72 with Wallace as coach. How did all seem suddenly lost the following season? i dont get that.

Just now, cushynumber said:

I dont get this all seems lost bit - we won a euro trophy on 72 with Wallace as coach. How did all seem suddenly lost the following season? i dont get that.

Do you think we all sat back and said nothing while winning sod all the following season? I doubt it very much especially as the tims won the double and got to the league cup final. Things didn't look too good in 73-74

7 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Do you think we all sat back and said nothing while winning sod all the following season? I doubt it very much especially as the tims won the double and got to the league cup final. Things didn't look too good in 73-74

so between the 24 May 1972 when we won the European cup winners cup and the 5 May 1973 when we won the Scopttish cup, all seemed lost?.

Honestly mate it is a comparison too far.

6 hours ago, To Be A Ranger said:

I'm sure when Jock Wallace became our manager he said it would take 3 years to build a team capable of winning the league and maintaining a challenge every year onwards. 

In his 1st season Jock brought us the Scottish Cup.

In the following 73-74 season I quote 'the start to the league championship was poor, no goals in the first four home games saw just seven points from the first six league matches. This early blip meant Rangers were always chasing the title and eventually finished third'

The rest is history with 2 trebles in 3 seasons.

There's no way I am drawing comparisons between Wallace and Warburton but is MW capable of building a strong side with his 3 year plan.

But that team while not being stellar at the start was able to compete we don't look as if we can, it's hard comparing era's but our present style of play appears to be shite or shine with no middle ground and to be fair for the last 6 months it's been shite.

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

so between the 24 May 1972 when we won the European cup winners cup and the 5 May 1973 when we won the Scopttish cup, all seemed lost?.

Honestly mate it is a comparison too far.

Nope I'm not saying that.

I'm saying after May 73 until May 74 (ie the 73-74 season) when we didn't win anything (finished 3rd in the league) and the tims kept winning the league which we hadn't won in a long long time there would have been a lot of disgruntled bears. But the following season (74-75) we won the league.

8 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

There is no patience among our support unfortunately. He, and others have said countless times that it's going to take a while before we're back properly competing, no-one said it was be straight away but that's what the fans expect. 

You can't fault the fans, in order to sell Season tickets we whored out the tag line Going for 55...fans bought into it and sold Season Tickets by the bucket load, if we expect to be challenging then its quite simple why, the club pushed this train of thought onto the fans, it came from the top.

1 hour ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Nope I'm not saying that.

I'm saying after May 73 until May 74 (ie the 73-74 season) when we didn't win anything (finished 3rd in the league) and the tims kept winning the league which we hadn't won in a long long time there would have been a lot of disgruntled bears. But the following season (74-75) we won the league.

Different world back then, even 20 years ago it was a different world, the invention of the Internet has given every fan a voice from Govan to Shanghai, if someone isn't happy they can air their views to the World, years ago if you weren't happy you'd moan about it at the game or maybe a phone in for an hour a week and latterly the Record hotline, disgruntled fans never really had a voice, now they talk to fellow fans 24/7 365 days a year, everyone has a voice now.

On 27/10/2016 at 3:08 AM, Smile said:

He signed over twenty players now and we look no better than anything Ally could produce, his Magic Hat seems to be working on some right enough.

This board has helped produce this shambles and should be held accountable for it as well.

Board comment, I agree.

The Ally comment is nonsense, for Christ sake he spent 21 million over 3 years on salaries and transfers and couldn't even win the challenge effing cup, then he failed to get us an easy promotion to the top flight.   MW did the both in his first season and got us to a cup final which we blew.

On 27/10/2016 at 10:51 AM, Gaz52 said:

There is no patience among our support unfortunately. He, and others have said countless times that it's going to take a while before we're back properly competing, no-one said it was be straight away but that's what the fans expect. 

Agree with that. MW has built good foundations and we are currently going through a very bad patch, but I think once the team gels we will turn a corner.

MW is not perfect. He is still learning and patience is required form us. I think his vision could bear fruits, but he needs to take a more flexible approach. His no plan B tactic is a major flaw for example.

18 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Board comment, I agree.

The Ally comment is nonsense, for Christ sake he spent 21 million over 3 years on salaries and transfers and couldn't even win the challenge effing cup, then he failed to get us an easy promotion to the top flight.   MW did the both in his first season and got us to a cup final which we blew.

I think my main point is Warburton's football at times is certainly as poor to watch as Ally's and has been for some time regardless of money spent  you only had to look at the second half of the St Johnstone game to see that.

The football has been ponderous and poor to watch for a while now.

12 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Agree with that. MW has built good foundations and we are currently going through a very bad patch, but I think once the team gels we will turn a corner.

MW is not perfect. He is still learning and patience is required form us. I think his vision could bear fruits, but he needs to take a more flexible approach. His no plan B tactic is a major flaw for example.

What foundations? When has he had a team gelling bar early on at Rangers. ?

27 minutes ago, Smile said:

I think my main point is Warburton's football at times is certainly as poor to watch as Ally's and has been for some time regardless of money spent  you only had to look at the second half of the St Johnstone game to see that.

The football has been ponderous and poor to watch for a while now.

We've certainly lost the crispness that epitomized our play last season, even against the tarriers.  Last season ir was like watching one of the great French rugby teams, all out attack from the back and passing that looked automatic, players seemed to instinctively know where each other was.  This season it's like way ching the Scottish rugby team, kick and spend 30 - 60 seconds over each pass.  The difference is hard to explain. 

9 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

We've certainly lost the crispness that epitomized our play last season, even against the tarriers.  Last season ir was like watching one of the great French rugby teams, all out attack from the back and passing that looked automatic, players seemed to instinctively know where each other was.  This season it's like way ching the Scottish rugby team, kick and spend 30 - 60 seconds over each pass.  The difference is hard to explain.

I agree when warburton first came and waghorn ,tav  played with no fear it was whatever you have we are better than you those two were in a personal goalscoring competion .

So where has that team dissapeared to ?

Kenny Miller who has been transformed he has been a sucess under MW

Harry Forrester until he got injured looked the buisness , Kranjaer looked good last two games injured

Rossiter first couple of games looked a find

If we had a fully fit squad to choose from would help for a start

I havent gave up on him yet just needs to drop certain underperforming players (including the captain)

He needs the players that turned up for him at the start to get back to that same attitude they had then.

35 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I wonder what changed from the start of his time here as Manager as he really had the players believing in what he was trying to do, the players moved the ball quicker took fewer touches and there movement and fitness blew teams away, We were creating loads of chances every game All that seems miles away now.

I was happy to see so many on Wednesday night,  and hope the majority of us stick with it.  Don't know how long it will take to win the league,  but it will be sweet.  Maybe too many younger supporters are too use to success.  The treble winning years in the 70's were just magic,  and saw us back to the top.  Warburton is no Wallace,  but I haven't written him off yet. It may be him,  or someone else who gets us back to no 1. And I don't know when.

On 27/10/2016 at 6:55 PM, NixonRFC said:

You can't fault the fans, in order to sell Season tickets we whored out the tag line Going for 55...fans bought into it and sold Season Tickets by the bucket load, if we expect to be challenging then its quite simple why, the club pushed this train of thought onto the fans, it came from the top.

Let's go back to the early season poll on here where around 70% on here believed we'd win it.

Was that just bravado?

Awful lot of people on here now saying 'winning the league was never a realistic expectation'.

I'm sure some of them must have been in the 70% at the start of the season.

28 minutes ago, Smile said:

I wonder what changed from the start of his time here as Manager as he really had the players believing in what he was trying to do, the players moved the ball quicker took fewer touches and there movement and fitness blew teams away, We were creating loads of chances every game All that seems miles away now.

Bringing in two luxury lopers in Zelalem & Oduwa.

Put the brakes on what the initial 15 or so had started off.

The clarity of style which marked the first dozen or so matches went out the window when they started getting more game time & I think a few lost a bit of belief in the system.

Also, while working, the style was a bit arse about face.

Too many goals from full back.

Nice as it was & good goals as most were, most teams are not set up to get their full backs in on goal.

Now that goals from that source have all but dried up, we haven't got a fuck of a lot else to fall back on.

I don't know why folks go on about his style and his philosophy. 

What actually is it? Can you tell by watching us week in week out - put a name to it, I can't.  

Why do we talk about a "possession game" when we can't keep possession. 

All I know is it's a "pass it out from the keeper and bump it around the back four for an eternity" type game. 

5 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Why do you keep trolling me? Taigish tactic.

Trying far too hard wee man. 

Come back when your balls drop.

What are you going on about now, try and explain yourself if you can manage that.?