3 Years

To Be A Ranger

I'm sure when Jock Wallace became our manager he said it would take 3 years to build a team capable of winning the league and maintaining a challenge every year onwards. 

In his 1st season Jock brought us the Scottish Cup.

In the following 73-74 season I quote 'the start to the league championship was poor, no goals in the first four home games saw just seven points from the first six league matches. This early blip meant Rangers were always chasing the title and eventually finished third'

The rest is history with 2 trebles in 3 seasons.

There's no way I am drawing comparisons between Wallace and Warburton but is MW capable of building a strong side with his 3 year plan.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no patience among our support unfortunately. He, and others have said countless times that it's going to take a while before we're back properly competing, no-one said it was be straight away but that's what the fans expect. 

And a short term approach could be worse for us in the long term. We need to bed in, and realise this is going to take time. 

Still entitled to vent frustrations though, no excuse for last night we should have won that game no bother. 

I think you have to give Warburton time but he doesnt do himself favours in his podt match interviews. Brave is the new buzzword. We get beat and we are brave. Learning and respect are the other ones. He should just say we were rubbish and things will improve.

He signed over twenty players now and we look no better than anything Ally could produce, his Magic Hat seems to be working on some right enough.

This board has helped produce this shambles and should be held accountable for it as well.

So in his first season he lifted a cup had the traditional bad first month of a season for Rangers then finished third in a far harder league than we have today, then success. 

So in his first season playing in the second tier we got off to a flyer but still had hivs right on our heels then they imploded (thank fuck) by Christmas we had been sussed lost most of the top the table away clashes the remainder of the season and limped home to promotion, had one good day in the Sun then fucked it all up in the final again losIng to a rival that couldn't get promotion. Second season we continue where we left off (in a far weaker league than Jock found himself in) get humped by our main rivals, we sit just 3 points of the bottom 6 and are leaking points at home and away. 

Aye I can see the trebles just on the horizon. 

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

He signed over twenty players now and we look no better than anything Ally could produce, his Magic Hat seems to be working on some right enough.

This board has helped produce this shambles and should be held accountable for it as well.

No better than ally could produce? That's ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

No better than ally could produce? That's ridiculous. 

Is it what do you think these results are, beat by the scum twice beat by a shite Aberdeen team draws against Hamilton Kilmarnock ross county and now St Johnstone.

Ten games and sixteen points tell us something.

I can only think some are so brainwashed they can't think for themselves now.

24 minutes ago, Smile said:

Is it what do you think these results are, beat by the scum twice beat by a shite Aberdeen team draws against Hamilton Kilmarnock ross county and now St Johnstone.

Ten games and sixteen points tell us something.

I can only think some are so brainwashed they can't think for themselves now.

Never let harsh reality stand in the way of a good philosophy.....

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Never let harsh reality stand in the way of a good philosophy.....

This is it they talk about the journey and the progression you ask them about what they see as you can't see it yourself and they change the subject.

51 minutes ago, Smile said:

This is it they talk about the journey and the progression you ask them about what they see as you can't see it yourself and they change the subject.

Dead on. If you take this time last year, you could see it.

If you take the year since, not so much.

But we're still 'heading in the right direction'.

You're more caught up  in the idea of progress and a journey if you think we should be anywhere other than where we are right now.

In your head we should punt Warburton, strengthen in the January window, then really bring in some quality next summer. You think that because that's the way it's gone all the other times we've started to look a bit shit. Fact of the matter is there's no money for that. Its possible this team and manager might be the best we'll have for a long while. 

8 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

You're more caught up  in the idea of progress and a journey if you think we should be anywhere other than where we are right now.

In your head we should punt Warburton, strengthen in the January window, then really bring in some quality next summer. You think that because that's the way it's gone all the other times we've started to look a bit shit. Fact of the matter is there's no money for that. Its possible this team and manager might be the best we'll have for a long while. 

So your saying no other manager could get that team playing better football? Really  

I wouldn't give Warburton any money in Jan, this season is gone, he has one job to do and that's finish second or third in this shit hole of a league. 

Then he can leave in the summer and let the new guy have some money. 

2 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

There is no patience among our support unfortunately. He, and others have said countless times that it's going to take a while before we're back properly competing, no-one said it was be straight away but that's what the fans expect. 

That has always been our problem.

When you look at it from a distance, as I do, it looks frankly ridiculous.

But it is borne out of the sheer hatred we have from the fhuckers, and if they are in a dominant phase, we lose it completely.

14 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

That has always been our problem.

When you look at it from a distance, as I do, it looks frankly ridiculous.

But it is borne out of the sheer hatred we have from the fhuckers, and if they are in a dominant phase, we lose it completely.

There's fans in the Caldwell Sacked thread saying it's ridiculous he's been sacked so soon after winning league one yet they're in the bears den saying Warburton should be sacked 

I'm not saying Wigan are anywhere near the size of Rangers or have the same expectations but the same logic applies to Warburton surely. 

We're only 2 points off second and if we beat Killie on Saturday and the tims beat Aberdeen then we'all overtake them 

We need to be patient and hope King etc see sense and pump more money in to us

22 minutes ago, CottonRunt said:

Our short term thinking has always really bothered me.

I've always said that i would take 2 or 3 years of failure if it meant building towards something great in the long term.

You would need to absolutely guarantee something great in the long term - which just isn't going to happen.

Arsene Wenger was always building something - the reality of which has turned out that his earlier teams were his most successful.

Obviously a better manager than him would do a better job with the players. 

But who was the obvious better manager on the same or less money that we passed up on when we selected Warburton? 

Who's the better manager out there just now who'll take less money than Warburton because we're going to have to pay him and his backroom team off? 

Where is any of this extra money coming from? It might have to come from selling a player or two (tav + another?), at which point a new manager on less money than the previous one with less to spend than the previous one will have to do a better job with what he has. 

That's obviously quite possible, but its not easy in practice. 

Having a three year plan is fine, but I want to know where the money to build a team is going to come from because at the moment it's not looking good.

I reckon at the moment a top six place might be the best we can hope for. I hope I'm wrong and I'm just being pessimistic over the results we've been having. 

Don't know if he's capable or not tbh but the talk of change right now is crazy. Our fans are ridiculously impatient as well. We aren't the title winning team of 5 years ago under Walter anymore, we're 5 years behind a Celtic team that's won 5 in a row and without serious funding to challenge them that unfortunately changes expectations. They've also strengthened their team ridiculously well because they've got the resources to do so. Ffs, the thumb scored 40 goals last season and they even improved on that. That's not excusing Warburton's faults but the amount of lashing out without thinking it through is startling. 

I think warburton has been caught in two minds and because of this he's faltered. When moving up to the premiership it's like he panic bought lots of older players because he didn't want to get caught with his pants down and thought they'd be able to piss it up here and get him his first title without too much bother leaving him to build his young team ethos.

So he's gone against his original philosophy of getting players in that would add value, and nothing adds value more than a young player with no fear who is ready to prove himself. He also miscalculated the quality of the premiership. Everyone says it's shit but it's not as shit as people make out or think.

I think he now realises this, and it's too late so he's scrambling to get some kind of run of wins but it's not happening. He cant say he's made a miscalculation on the quality of the league, he can't say he fucked up. He's just recycling the same positive lines not to give the media or any of his players who might be listening in any kind of reason to drop their performance.

He's stuck between a rock and a hard place and all that's left is to weather the storm until he can add quallity.

Will he be able to? Ask that mother fucker king. I doubt it.

Just my take, peace.

4 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

You are right about patience among our support, but the board will be patient. As much as I'd love us to go out and spend fortunes, given our recent history there is no chance in hell that sort of spending will be sanctioned. This is going to be a long slow building process, so long as the manager meets the goals set out by the board then they'll support him. The question is what are the goals this year? I personally think that the board would be happy for us to finish in the top 6 this year.