Praise Dundee's tactics? You're having a laugh!

If ever a game epitomised everything that is wrong with Scottish football, then Saturday was it. Unfortunately, there's been a few like it so far this season. I found it laughable reading the press match reports over the weekend, stating that Paul Hartley got his tactics "spot on". So what is so savvy about getting everyman and their dog behind the ball, and running down the clock from the 60 min mark? Even taking over a minute to take a bloody simple throw-in. I noticed in the first half, the Dundee players broke forward 3 or 4 times, only to look up like frightened rabbits, and simply do a hopeless pass, or kick the ball straight out of play; then quickly all funnel back into their comfort zones, behind the ball. Utterly pathetic.

Years ago, when we had players like: Laudrup, Gasgoine, Abertz etc, and teams set up like this, I got it. I really did. Even in Smith's last season at the helm, when we had gems like: Jelavic, Naismith and Davis, I accepted it too. The onus was on us to break teams down, as they simply couldn't match our quality.

When we got promoted this season however, I thought I would be seeing much more end-to-end type games, considering we no longer have the type of top players quoted above.

All things considered, I thought we played quite well on Saturday and enjoyed our win. Dundee got exactly what they deserved from the game - fuck all. With the exception of playing 'them' at the piggery, all the teams have adopted these type of tactics against us - even the vile dons played like this in their own ground, ffs!

Considering our team is now made up of players from the lower echelons of English football, why are the premier league sides not opening up and having a real go at us from the start, like a few of the teams did in the championship last season?! I find it bizarre, that the so-called 'premier league teams' all want to stifle the games against us, with the hope of getting 'lucky' at some point during the match - just like Dundee almost did on Saturday!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opposing teams tactics arent about pleasing us. Hartley obviously felt he had a good chance at keeping a clean sheet and nicking something. Based on the fact we're struggling to score goals and shite at the back thats understandable. 

Had they lost and early goal and our confidence got up they could have been looking at 3-0

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

Opposing teams tactics arent about pleasing us. Hartley obviously felt he had a good chance at keeping a clean sheet and nicking something. Based on the fact we're struggling to score goals and shite at the back thats understandable. 

Had they lost and early goal and our confidence got up they could have been looking at 3-0

Never said it's all about "pleasing us" mate...Dundee couldn't string two passes together. And the sad thing about it was they looked pleased with that.

Are opposing teams expected to come and be open so that we have an enjoyable afternoon? 

Were you complaining when Watty was playing 5 or 6 centre backs on the pitch at one time? It got us to a European final.

Utterly stupid OP. Opposing teams will come and be nagative. It's up to us to break them down. 

1 minute ago, gsa said:

Are opposing teams expected to come and be open so that we have an enjoyable afternoon? 

Were you complaining when Watty was playing 5 or 6 centre backs on the pitch at one time? It got us to a European final.

Utterly stupid OP. Opposing teams will come and be nagative. It's up to us to break them down. 

If you read my OP, I said I understood why teams did it with us in the past. We don't have the players like that anymore. If you're happy with that, then good for you.

Just now, Truth_is_out_there said:

If you read my OP, I said I understood why teams did it with us in the past. We don't have the players like that anymore. If you're happy with that, then good for you.

"If you're happy with that, then good for you"

What on earth are you talking about?

Opposing teams tactics at Ibrox don't determine my happiness. Your post makes no sense. 

If you can't understand why teams play that way I suggest you watch the Hamilton and (both) Ross County games.

The crux of your argument seems to be; "we aren't that good now so how dare teams sit in and defend against us".

And what is more bizarre is that you seem genuinely upset about it.  

1 minute ago, gsa said:

"If you're happy with that, then good for you"

What on earth are you talking about?

Opposing teams tactics at Ibrox don't determine my happiness. Your post makes no sense. 

If you can't understand why teams play that way I suggest you watch the Hamilton and (both) Ross County games.

The crux of your argument seems to be; "we aren't that good now so how dare teams sit in and defend against us".

And what is more bizarre is that you seem genuinely upset about it.  

Not upset at all. My argument was that the press praising Dundee to the high heavens about their crap tactics. 

3 hours ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

If ever a game epitomised everything that is wrong with Scottish football, then Saturday was it. Unfortunately, there's been a few like it so far this season. I found it laughable reading the press match reports over the weekend, stating that Paul Hartley got his tactics "spot on". So what is so savvy about getting everyman and their dog behind the ball, and running down the clock from the 60 min mark? Even taking over a minute to take a bloody simple throw-in. I noticed in the first half, the Dundee players broke forward 3 or 4 times, only to look up like frightened rabbits, and simply do a hopeless pass, or kick the ball straight out of play; then quickly all funnel back into their comfort zones, behind the ball. Utterly pathetic.

Years ago, when we had players like: Laudrup, Gasgoine, Abertz etc, and teams set up like this, I got it. I really did. Even in Smith's last season at the helm, when we had gems like: Jelavic, Naismith and Davis, I accepted it too. The onus was on us to break teams down, as they simply couldn't match our quality.

When we got promoted this season however, I thought I would be seeing much more end-to-end type games, considering we no longer have the type of top players quoted above.

All things considered, I thought we played quite well on Saturday and enjoyed our win. Dundee got exactly what they deserved from the game - fuck all. With the exception of playing 'them' at the piggery, all the teams have adopted these type of tactics against us - even the vile dons played like this in their own ground, ffs!

Considering our team is now made up of players from the lower echelons of English football, why are the premier league sides not opening up and having a real go at us from the start, like a few of the teams did in the championship last season?! I find it bizarre, that the so-called 'premier league teams' all want to stifle the games against us, with the hope of getting 'lucky' at some point during the match - just like Dundee almost did on Saturday!

(tu)

Agreed mate ..... you would think that we had all our past greats on the park the way some of these "premier league" teams carry on.

Your points are valid that we do not have a great amount of talent as opposed to back in the day, and would expect a few to come out of the 18 yard box and play a bit more of a game ...... the management team has come under a lot of fire for not being able to break down this "Smithsonian" type of tactics, but as we saw with Walter it did work and frustrated a good few top teams in our run up to the Uefa cup final (but failed us at the final step).

Unfortunately we are now in the same boat as those teams were back then, and are finding it increasingly frustrating that we are not capable of breaking down teams who use this park the bus tactic.

:7325:

Just now, Bobby Hume said:

(tu)

Agreed mate ..... you would think that we had all our past greats on the park the way some of these "premier league" teams carry on.

Your points are valid that we do not have a great amount of talent as opposed to back in the day, and would expect a few to come out of the 18 yard box and play a bit more of a game ...... the management team has come under a lot of fire for not being able to break down this "Smithsonian" type of tactics, but as we saw with Walter it did work and frustrated a good few top teams in our run up to the Europa cup final (but failed is at the final step).

Unfortunately we are now in the same boat as those teams were back then, and are finding it increasingly frustrating that we are not capable of breaking down teams who use this park the bus tactic.

:7325:

Spot on. Maybe I didn't put my point across very well, but when you consider the dons are supposed to be one of the top teams in the counrty, and they refuse to have a go at us, I just found it odd, that's all.

Rangers have had to face these kind of tactics for as long as most of us can remember especially at Ibrox. Aberdeen would come draw nil nil or whatever and think they had won the league.Then go out the following week and get fucked by Motherwell. When this is what's passed as football no wonder the whole game in Scotland is pretty much fucked.

18 minutes ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

Not upset at all. My argument was that the press praising Dundee to the high heavens about their crap tactics. 

Hardly "high heavens" ffs. A 30 sec chit chat. Stop being so offended ffs. 

Some of our fans are like babbling little girls fucking moaning at fuck all. 

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

Hardly "high heavens" ffs. A 30 sec chit chat. Stop being so offended ffs. 

Some of our fans are like babbling little girls fucking moaning at fuck all. 

Not offended at fuck all. Simply putting it out there and asking the question.