Rangers and Celtic hold talks over possible reshaping of Champions League

Ace

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

No it is a sovereign state of former countries which were amalgamated into one country.    

Contradicts everything I was taught. We're a single nation (British as per passport) but 3 individual countries. So I call this bullshit, sorry.

Edit: Plus, how can one country have 2 devolved parliaments?

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

No it is a sovereign state of former countries which were amalgamated into one country.    

Nope it's a sovereign state of 3 countries and a province - the situation being made more complex by law as there were separate laws in England and Wales which then were amalgamated ( and then separated again) making wakes a pro Vance of England for a time and Scotland has its on legal system but we are separate countries run by a singular agreed parliamentary authority. Anyway back to the op we are separate countries from a UEFA / FIFA POV.

2 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

He wasn't correct as I had referred to 1707 when Great Britain was the name to be used for our country after the Union.   He is under the misapprehension that Scotland and England are still separate countries.  

Great Britain is not a country, it is a landmass. Scotland and England are countries, not nation states.

44 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Great Britain is not a country, it is a landmass. Scotland and England are countries, not nation states.

Great Britain was the name given to the entire country in 1707 at the Union of the parliaments.  It constituted England Wales and Scotland.  It would also have included islands.   Below from the Articles of Union 1707.

‘That the two Kingdoms of (fn. 1) Scotland and England, shall, upon the first Day of May next ensuing the Date hereof, and for ever after, be united into one Kingdom by the Name of Great-Britain

The Acts of Union 1800 brought Ireland on board and the entire country became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.  After the republic left in  the 1920s the name of our sovereign state became what we are still known as today and what is on your British passport, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  

1 hour ago, ChuckD said:

Scotland isn't a Country...ffs:7326:

It isn't.  If it was a country in its own right we wouldn't have had the referendum 2 years ago.  Scotland and England are no more separate countries than say Saxony or Bavaria in Germany or Catalonia in Spain or any states in the USA.   :uk:

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Nope it's a sovereign state of 3 countries and a province - the situation being made more complex by law as there were separate laws in England and Wales which then were amalgamated ( and then separated again) making wakes a pro Vance of England for a time and Scotland has its on legal system but we are separate countries run by a singular agreed parliamentary authority. Anyway back to the op we are separate countries from a UEFA / FIFA POV.

You are correct in the last sentence but as for the status of the UK and its make up, you need a history lesson.

7 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Cushy . The question would be . Would it be Rangers that turned up though .

I'm not so sure it would be  .We may  differ on opinions over this .

I still believe , we are nothing at the big table  . The corruption since we lost any power we had few years back will be with us probably till the day I die

No offence mate, but wish you'd hurry up - the last 41/2 years is taking a fucking lifetime.

WATP

5 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

You are correct in the last sentence but as for the status of the UK and its make up, you need a history lesson.

Na confident enough that I understand  the historical, legal, political and semantics of the issue - something you clearly don't 

7 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Great Britain was the name given to the entire country in 1707 at the Union of the parliaments.  It constituted England Wales and Scotland.  It would also have included islands.   Below from the Articles of Union 1707.

‘That the two Kingdoms of (fn. 1) Scotland and England, shall, upon the first Day of May next ensuing the Date hereof, and for ever after, be united into one Kingdom by the Name of Great-Britain

The Acts of Union 1800 brought Ireland on board and the entire country became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.  After the republic left in  the 1920s the name of our sovereign state became what we are still known as today and what is on your British passport, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  

You forgot to mention Cornwall, which technically isn't a part of England :P

Irrespective I served in the British Army and swore an allegiance to the Queen but from a sporting perspective, apart from events such as the Olympics where it is Great Britain that competes NOT Scotland, England and Wales, we are deemed to be separate nations and I really don't care what anyone else thinks I personally think it's good that we are back at these meetings and I doubt it has anything to do with Celtic but more to do with these other countries who respect us as a club and our history and tradition and are not blinded by the narrow mindedness that you find in Scotland.

Better get in the phone to Downing St

"The official site of the Prime Minister's Office"....

countries within a country

The United Kingdom is made up of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Its full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

ps let's just agree to disagree.

For a new league to be successful it needs clubs that have big supports, generate interest around the world, has a long history of success and has a nemesis (to generate more interest). Rangers tick all these boxes, we will help shape any new league that has us in it as we are one of the biggest clubs around. Our attendances are in the high 40k plus at our home games, we have just come through one of the most difficult period/event that any club could, our story is known world wide now, we set records for our attendance in our equivalent leagues worldwide and most teams in Europe would give their eye teeth for that kind of loyal support. Anyone setting up a league that people want to watch, needs clubs like Rangers without them they will fail.