Rangers and Celtic hold talks over possible reshaping of Champions League

Ace

Express Sport can reveal the Light Blues are now back at the top table and joined Celtic for a meeting with representatives from several European clubs in Amsterdam last month.

Many of the sides – outside of England, Germany, Spain and Italy – are concerned over plans to revamp the Champions League and to give the big-four leagues another automatic place in the competition.

The proposal could make qualification for the Scottish champions to get into the group stages even harder.

Express Sport understands a number of proposals, including Atlantic and even Transatlantic leagues, were amongst the options that were discussed at the Dutch summit.

Those discussions are still at the early stages but could be stepped up depending on UEFA’s stance over the coming weeks.

Reports emerged in Spain last week that the Champions League changes had been killed off, but that was denied to Express Sport by senior Scottish Professional Football League sources

Rangers had been a prominent member of the European Club Association but were forced to take a backseat after being relegated to Scotland’s bottom tier.

The Ibrox side are still viewed as one of the top clubs on the European front and still have major pull.

Rangers are looking to try to seal their European return next season via the Premiership or by winning the Scottish Cup.

There have been some question marks whether they would need to be granted special dispensation because their accounts since they started on the bottom rung don’t adhere to UEFA’s Fair Play license.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/739781/Rangers-Celtic-hold-talks-over-possible-reshaping-Champions-League-News-Gossip

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Ace said:

Express Sport can reveal the Light Blues are now back at the top table and joined Celtic for a meeting with representatives from several European clubs in Amsterdam last month.

Many of the sides – outside of England, Germany, Spain and Italy – are concerned over plans to revamp the Champions League and to give the big-four leagues another automatic place in the competition.

The proposal could make qualification for the Scottish champions to get into the group stages even harder.

Express Sport understands a number of proposals, including Atlantic and even Transatlantic leagues, were amongst the options that were discussed at the Dutch summit.

Those discussions are still at the early stages but could be stepped up depending on UEFA’s stance over the coming weeks.

Reports emerged in Spain last week that the Champions League changes had been killed off, but that was denied to Express Sport by senior Scottish Professional Football League sources

Rangers had been a prominent member of the European Club Association but were forced to take a backseat after being relegated to Scotland’s bottom tier.

The Ibrox side are still viewed as one of the top clubs on the European front and still have major pull.

Rangers are looking to try to seal their European return next season via the Premiership or by winning the Scottish Cup.

There have been some question marks whether they would need to be granted special dispensation because their accounts since they started on the bottom rung don’t adhere to UEFA’s Fair Play license.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/739781/Rangers-Celtic-hold-talks-over-possible-reshaping-Champions-League-News-Gossip

Dunno why but it feels good to know that we're still looked upon as a "big dog" if you will.

Of course we should be at the top table. How many of these big clubs had 50,000 at their game at the weekend.

Couple that with the biggest fan movement between two European countries in manchester 2008 and we have every right to be in the champions league. 

We never left the European Club Association. I think we went from full to associate status though. We were initially part of the body that actually ran the organisation but we'be been hugely important to football administration and we were the club that actually drew up the idea of the Champions League, with Campbell Ogilvie often cited as the guy that came up with the Champions League  idea when he was with Rangers.

I hate it when the media says we were relegated. Um, NO!

We left the Scottish Premier League due to our holding company going bankrupt and we joined the Scottish Football League afterwards. We were never moved from the top level to the lower leagues. We joined the lower leagues after leaving the top league. There is no way that is relegation.

16 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Of course we should be at the top table. How many of these big clubs had 50,000 at their game at the weekend.

Couple that with the biggest fan movement between two European countries in manchester 2008 and we have every right to be in the champions league. 

I hope this is a mistake.

"Two European countries" :drugang:

Britain is ONE Country!!!!

1 hour ago, weeto said:

We never left the European Club Association. I think we went from full to associate status though. We were initially part of the body that actually ran the organisation but we'be been hugely important to football administration and we were the club that actually drew up the idea of the Champions League, with Campbell Ogilvie often cited as the guy that came up with the Champions League  idea when he was with Rangers.

I hate it when the media says we were relegated. Um, NO!

We left the Scottish Premier League due to our holding company going bankrupt and we joined the Scottish Football League afterwards. We were never moved from the top level to the lower leagues. We joined the lower leagues after leaving the top league. There is no way that is relegation.

You say fanny, I say gash

7 hours ago, cushynumber said:

What they talking about accounts for? I thought we had already posted 3 years worth and that satisfied the criteria.

Think it's due to our amount of losses over the last three years or so

7 hours ago, cushynumber said:

What they talking about accounts for? I thought we had already posted 3 years worth and that satisfied the criteria.

Aye but they accounts were posted with losses greater than the permitted amount set by uefa.

7 hours ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Not a mistake mate - in a football sense, Scottish clubs compete English clubs. They do it at both club and national level - you know when Rangers played Leeds and Scotland play England. Hence my "2 European countries" 

Or maybe your hoping that when around 200,000 bears flocked to Manchester (whilst filling Ibrox at the same time to watch it on close circuit tv with close on 50,000) that it neither illustrates how big we are or that this display of support should be thrown out the record books because you MISTAKENLY think Britain is one country - study the union flag. It's made up of separate national flags and it's what makes us Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  We are a United Kingdom  

Baulk ..............

38 minutes ago, gersandy said:

Some sort of european league WILL happen. Whether or not us and celtic are in it is another question.

I don't see any plausible reason that this would happen without the Old Firm.

Indeed, I think that Rangers and Celtic are pretty central to the whole idea. We're big draws.

3 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I don't see any plausible reason that this would happen without the Old Firm.

Indeed, I think that Rangers and Celtic are pretty central to the whole idea. We're big draws.

Aye your probably right. 

7 hours ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Not from a UEFA or FIFA perspective - and just for the record Britain is 4 separate nations / countries operating under a single parliament 

31 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Not a mistake mate - in a football sense, Scottish clubs compete English clubs. They do it at both club and national level - you know when Rangers played Leeds and Scotland play England. Hence my "2 European countries" 

Or maybe your hoping that when around 200,000 bears flocked to Manchester (whilst filling Ibrox at the same time to watch it on close circuit tv with close on 50,000) that it neither illustrates how big we are or that this display of support should be thrown out the record books because you MISTAKENLY think Britain is one country - study the union flag. It's made up of separate national flags and it's what makes us Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  We are a United Kingdom  

Baulk ..............

The sovereign nation is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland." Scotland, England and Wales can be referred to as nations, countries or nation-states as well. So it's not mistaken but entirely correct to say the UK is a country.

17 minutes ago, Loyal Bear 72 said:

The sovereign nation is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland." Scotland, England and Wales can be referred to as nations, countries or nation-states as well. So it's not mistaken but entirely correct to say the UK is a country.

But not in a football sense with separate NATIONAL fa's