Do you miss the Ne'erday Old Firm games?

The Widow's Son

It seems so long ago now when Old Firm games were played at Ne'erday.  Remember only a few (largely through my own indulgence) but it was always something to look forward to.  Always seemed to be very cold but the punters sang long and strong.  Buses were few and far between too if memory serves.  Maybe they can be reinstated and we can create some good memories for the younger bears (and older ones too).    

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been away for so long but in my teens and twenties, used to love these games, not sure how they would work now.  Back then, after 'The Bells' it was normal to visit friends, relatives, friends of relatives, relatives of friends, wee sing-song  and have a damn good swally.  Personally, I'd arrive home at about 10:00 am, grab some breakfast, shower, coffee (with something in it) and head off to meet my mates, have more bevvy and head off to the game. 

Lots of singing from both ends, nothing was ever held in reserve either on or off  the field, inevitably some would either give or take a battering after the match but, and here is the rub, no cunt was ever offended, sore yes but offended NEVER. 

After the game, depending on the result we would either continue partying or drown our sorrows, either way lots more bevvy would be consumed.

Not sure if the current Hogmanay experience now would facilitate the above, like I say its all changed.  

Those games were great back in the day but I don't miss them now.  It's no longer banter it's just pure venom and I don't enjoy these games at all anymore.  If they win the next one at Ibrox it'll be a real hard one to take.  If we win it'll be an empty victory since the title race is already over.  I honestly couldn't care at this point.

Despite being old enough to know better, it tended to define the festive season for me.

Christmas would pass me by, as I was always looking forward to the game more.

Made it for me, as long as we won.

Crashing downer, and the new year off to a terrible start, if we lost!

Really wish we didn't have to play the cunts ever again.
Really wish we never had to share a park with these cunts ever again.
Really wish we never had to share a city with these cunts ever again.
Really wish we never had to share our country with those cunts ever again.
Actually know I would never miss the horrible cunts if they weren't here.
As far as i'm concerned they showed there true colours over the last 4 year.
Fuck them :uk:   

Vaguely remember back in the 60s/70s that we always played Thistle on New Year's Day.  Played them on the following days, sometimes it was even the day after.  Don't think MW would take to kindly to that sort of 'loading' on his players nowadays.

Games at Firhill were always a nightmare to get to because of the limited public transport on New Years Day.  

4 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Those games were great back in the day but I don't miss them now.  It's no longer banter it's just pure venom and I don't enjoy these games at all anymore.  If they win the next one at Ibrox it'll be a real hard one to take.  If we win it'll be an empty victory since the title race is already over.  I honestly couldn't care at this point.

No win against the tarriers is ever empty, especially the new year fixture... Great way to end the year/ start the new year,  is with a victory against the immigrant club. 

Thank fuck there's still ten's of thousands of Rangers supporters who do care 

5 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Understand partly where you're coming from, but to say you don't care? Not sure how much you actually mean that. 

The thing is, back in these days, even the polis were good for a bit of banter at Ne'erday games. You had to really overstep the mark to get huckled. We sang what we wanted, they sang what they wanted. No chance of getting these days back in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Scotland.

9 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Pure venom is the way it should be.