Barton on BBC 5 Live

Captain Hilts

4 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Its no hard being smarter than you ya taig.

Mark Warburton is the manager of Rangers and he thought Barton would be a good signing for us and therefore brought him to this club.  You said Barton was a "papish bastard should never have been signed and most of us knew it at the time".  Who is "most of us"?  Drunk guys in pubs and anonymous people on the internet?  Barton won the English Championship with Burnley last year and was their POTY he was seen by many as a bit of a coup for us.  Indeed many Burnley fans hoped he would stay on with them in the EPL and it looks like he'll go back there.  Although I do have issues with Warburton I trust his judgment more than yours and we must back his signings while he's the manager.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Mark Warburton is the manager of Rangers and he thought Barton would be a good signing for us and therefore brought him to this club.  You said Barton was a "papish bastard should never have been signed and most of us knew it at the time".  Who is "most of us"?  Drunk guys in pubs and anonymous people on the internet?  Barton won the English Championship with Burnley last year and was their POTY he was seen by many as a bit of a coup for us.  Indeed many Burnley fans hoped he would stay on with them in the EPL and it looks like he'll go back there.  Although I do have issues with Warburton I trust his judgment more than yours and we must back his signings while he's the manager.

Warburton also thought at least half a dozen other signings would be good and they were all shite too.

You keep on defending him taig.......

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Warburton also thought at least half a dozen other signings would be good and they were all shite too.

You keep on defending him taig.......

Let's be honest, it has fuck all to do with the manager.  You just hate Joey Barton.  If you want to hate him that's fine but I don't.  We're both entitled to our opinions.  Can we leave it at that?

6 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Let's be honest, it has fuck all to do with the manager.  You just hate Joey Barton.  If you want to hate him that's fine but I don't.  We're both entitled to our opinions.  Can we leave it at that?

The manager has made a helluva lot of terrible signings , anybody can see that.

I cannot go taigs that post on here defending him everytime his name is mentioned.

38 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Someone called Barton a "useless tarrier bastard".  I said you shouldn't hate the guy for his religious beliefs.  It was then said the hate for him had nothing to do with his beliefs it was because he was a Celtic fan.  Barton maintains he isn't a Celtic fan and that he was here to do well for Rangers but apparently that's beside the point.  I then pointed out we have Celtic fans currently at Rangers such as MOH.  I'm then told no one has a problem with MOH despite his allegiances.  Well, if no one has a problem with Barton's religion or with him being a Celtic fan (which is debatable) then why call him a "tarrier bastard" and the like?  Going round in circles indeed.

I would prefer people to just openly say they don't like Barton instead of making shit up about his footballing ability.  Barton's had a great career as a footballer and achieved much.  Just about all of the guys currently in our team would love a career that boasted 240 games in the EPL. 

Tarrier tweet 1.

"@DGSToon if you where born catholic in Ireland, what would you do? I know what i'd of done, hence why I have sympathetic tendencies..."

Tarrier tweet 2.

Can't wait to play at Paradise today... #HH #boyhooddreamscometrue"

2 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Difference between playing for Burnley who the only people who care about Burnley is people who live in Burnley. Rangers has millions of fans around the world, every performance of every player is highlighted. Its a different ball game, its why not everyone can play for big clubs, some just can't handle it.

1 hour ago, martin93 said:

Utterly pathetic the people on here dishing out abuse to him when they know fuck all what happened, pathetic

In fairness the people dishing out the abuse are basing their respective comments on FACTS.  These facts were obtained from a taxi driver, Kenny Millers next door neighbour and the wee waitress in Nandos.  Who are you to question these facts.

14 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I also thought it was a bit of a coup, he turned out to be a bit of a coo.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:02 PM, tannerall said:

This.

What an opportunity to finish his professional career with professional dignity and maybe a few medals.  And perhaps he could have scaled a few heights in our revival, become one of our favourites.

But from day one was playing the big man and tweeting rubbish all round the place. We should maybe have seen the light when he backed off Broonie, then congratulated him with a smile later

So we probably lost a decent footballer, but he won't be missed as a person, his heart was never with us.

I don't have much against Barton. Just the wrong sort of guy for the club at the moment. An opinionated guy with a big ego was always going to struggle at Rangers were if someone takes a fart at Ibrox there are people paid to sniff it from all angles. They would have spun any comment from the lad so Rangers would need to take him to school on guidelines for him to have any chance of not creating publicity outwith football. They probably did but I doubt it could be done well enough anyway given Barton's nature.

No doubt Warburton had a word with him about his nonsense on twitter and the radio because he seemed to quieten down before the old firm match. But qualities like super confidence and arrogance were always going to cause problems even within the dressing room after losing one of those games so poorly given a lot of our boys don't have big names or personalities. If it was the likes of Laudrup or Gough in the dressing room he'd have just been put in his place. Or if Wallace or Souness were manager he'd have been less likely to become too loud and more likely to have been put in his place in the traditional way by the manager. This would have meant nothing more than the usual handbags at training headlines.

But Barton admitted going into the managers office and having strong words at Warburton so his chances of staying thereafter were always going to be slim. How can any manager have an employee giving them what sounded like a loud mouth argument were the player doesn't doesn't seem to have shown any respect. Souness used to practically sling bigger names out the door. Even Smith got physical with genuine football stars. Those days are gone and might have worked but Warburton cant be blamed for being professional or feeling he shouldn't need to get aggressive with a player.

When Barton then goes on Radio and suggests he could have been less confrontational with the manager but was essentially still right then surely even he knows that would not be tolerated even by a lesser club. The manager would have to be a fool to accept that sort of arrogance from a player. You'd be given him the green light to say as he pleased in the dressing room and publicly. I just think the Barton signing would never have worked out at the moment with Rangers and probably could only have worked in the past were you have players of equal arrogance or standing in the game beside each other and a sling them around type of manager.

I think he's the sort who might have ended up giving his thoughts on bigotry, Northern Ireland, Scottish independence and fuck knows what else. Press would have had a field day with a guy like him. Other football supporters would likely give him a mouthful at some point in public like Waghorn but Barton might just batter the shit out of them if tipsy and the clown was old enough because he's not the type to give a fuck about the consequences in the moment.

Might have been useful to keep him until he battered one of they scumbags or Brown during a match but he sadly didn't make it to then. But doubt this could have worked out given you'd need to be Mystic Meg as a manager to keep him out of trouble with the national obsession with Rangers.

I also find it difficult to believe that he could be dumb enough to think there was a way back after saying he was still in the right on radio afterwards even though he also admitted he shouldn't have been so confrontational. Think he must have not fancied it after causing a ruckus and worked his ticket. If he's just that stubborn then he's too stupid and disrespectful in his dumbness to make it with Rangers.

I hope we do better in January. 

I wanted him to succeed and was disappointed when he didn't. Not all signings work out. Personally, I'm glad as a high profile player he spoke well of us on a National platform (bound by an agreement or not) as it reflects well on our club. He is gone and we move on.