Kyle Lafferty

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this guy any good? I've never actually seen him play...

He's a decent talent, but he's never worth the sort of money we would have to pay for him.

If we want to pay upwards of 4 million on a Championship player who might go on to better things then it should be Joe Ledley IMO.

What kind of player is he? I know he is 6ft+, but is he Crouch-like or more of a powerhouse target man?

He's pretty well built, more like (dare I say it) a Sutton type player.

What kind of player is he? I know he is 6ft+, but is he Crouch-like or more of a powerhouse target man?

He's a bit of both.

A guy his size is always going to have a physiacl threat, but he's got a not bad touch for a big guy too.

He does look similar to Crouch purely based on those YouTube videos.

hes got a worse goalscoring record than MIsser, no thankyou we have better at the club in Boyd, JCD, Naisy and dare I say Cousin

source http://www.burnleyfootballclub.premiumtv.c...3~34037,00.html

07/08 season

Comp App(sub) G YC RC

League 34 (3) 5 5 0

FA Cup 1 (0) 0 0 1

L Cup 2 (0) 0 0 0

His goal-to-game ratio is a joke. I know those youtube clips show his scoring a few goals, but fuck me, there are similar videos of folk like Sebo and Mi**er. That is definitely NOT what we should be looking at spending £4m on.

And with regards to him 'having a good build' - he is very easily knocked off the ball and never tracks back, while missing many a sitter.

l've followed as many matches as possible that he's been involved in, mainly cos he was linked with us and the taigs, and when i heard they were going to get him at one point, i was delighted.

To liken him to Chris Sutton, as much as i hate Sutton, is well wide of the mark.

We can spend our money much wiser than that, and shouldn't be getting held to ransom for him either. £4m is not an option IMO.

Lafferty is the Northern Irish Lee McCulloch but with a bit more pace.

I dont want him anywhere near Ibrox and the same goes for Miller.

I thought Smith said he wanted quality, these guys are garbage. Every player linked with us so far are not the quality we require.

One player Rangers are definitely showing a keen interest in is Kyle Lafferty, the Burnley striker. The Ibrox club, who were linked with the Northern Ireland international during the January transfer window, failed with an undisclosed bid three weeks ago.

However, Smith could return with an improved offer for the 20-year-old. Lafferty, contracted to Burnley until 2010, stands 6ft 4in tall (1.95m) and can play as a conventional target man as well as wide on the left.

Celtic offered the Lancashire side £2.5 million plus Derek Riordan in January, a year after a bid of £500,000 was rejected, but that was also knocked back.

Fulham had a bigger offer of £4 million rejected last August when Lawrie Sanchez, who chose Lafferty for Northern Ireland, was manager of the London club.

Burnley will be looking for at least that figure if they are to lose the striker to the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

£4m....dont even think about it Rangers.

BURNLEY manager Owen Coyle has refused to be drawn on whether Lafferty would be tempted by the Old Firm after Rangers were linked with a new move for the former Celtic transfer target.

The Ibrox side are understood to have had an undisclosed bid for the towering Clarets striker turned down earlier this month, but could yet return with a fresh offer for the Northern Ireland forward.

The 20-year-old had already been the subject of two offers from Celtic, most recently during the transfer window in January when the Hoops offered £2.5m plus Derek Riordan, which was turned down. A £3.5m bid from Wolves was also rejected last week.

And with Premiership sides also keeping an eye on the striker, Coyle has braced himself for fresh interest in his hot property.

He said: "We expect to be inundated with expressions of interest this summer for Kyle Lafferty.

"The lad is a great talent and one of the best players at the club but it would take something really special to prise him away."

Back in January, after Lafferty learned about Gordon Strachan's interest in him, he said: "Celtic are a huge club and I'm honoured to be the subject of a bid.

"I grew up supporting Rangers but that won't stand in my way and the lure of European football is very appealing."

The Old Firm could be set for a race similar to one last summer when both chased midfielder Scott Brown.

Celtic beat Rangers to the Scotland star when they shelled out £4.4m to prise him from Hibs.

The stage is now set for Strachan and Smith to go toe to toe in a bid to land one of English football's hottest properties.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/footbal...86908-20431021/

Kyle Lafferty Rangers move could smash fee record

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

By Steve Watson

Rangers will have to make Kyle Lafferty Northern Ireland's most expensive current international if they are to take the 20-year-old striker to Glasgow.

Walter Smith has been keeping tabs on the Burnley-man for a while and it emerged last night that the Ibrox club had an undisclosed offer rejected by the Clarets three weeks ago.

Now Rangers will have to up the ante if they are to beat Old Firm rivals Celtic to the Kesh-man's signature.

A year ago former Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez failed with a £4million bid for Lafferty when he was in charge at Fulham and Rangers are likely to have to pay more than that if they are to clinch a deal.

Celtic offered £2.5million plus striker Derek Riordan in January only to have that rejected.

Rangers are also keen on Lafferty's international team-mate Steve Davis, who was on-loan at Ibrox and who moved to Fulham for £4million last summer.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/atex-imp...icle3741694.ece

RANGERS are set to use veteran defender David Weir as bait to lure striker Kyle Lafferty away from Turf Moor.

The Scottish Cup holders are favourites to land the Irish international, who is a big Gers fan.

And they are set to test Burnley's resolve by offering a cash plus player deal, which includes Weir as a makeweight.

advertisement

The 38-year-old has been told by boss Walter Smith that he will not be an automatic first choice next season.

Sources in Scotland say the former Everton defender is keen to move back to England, and his family is still in Lancashire.

But much will depend on Burnley manager Owen Coyle, who sees Lafferty as a key player as he attempts to build a side around his young players.

Burnley have so far resisted all attempts to wrestle Lafferty away from Turf Moor, but they will come under increasing pressure this summer as some of football's big guns come knocking at the door.

Last week, Wolves reportedly tabled a £4 million deal, which is thought to have included Steven Elliott.

The Clarets have also rejected a £4m offer from Fulham, and £3m plus the £1m-rated Derek Riordan from Celtic.

But Smith has been admirer of Lafferty for almost two years, and sees the youngster as a major summer target.

Weir, capped 61 times by Scotland, started his career with Falkirk before moving to Hearts. Walter Smith took him to Everton in 2002 for £200,000, where he played more than 250 games.

Smith then signed him for Rangers in January 2007, and he has featured 78 times, culminating in Saturday's Scottish Cup victory over Queen of the South.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...ets_striker.php

BURNLEY manager Owen Coyle has refused to be drawn on whether Lafferty would be tempted by the Old Firm after Rangers were linked with a new move for the former Celtic transfer target.

The Ibrox side are understood to have had an undisclosed bid for the towering Clarets striker turned down earlier this month, but could yet return with a fresh offer for the Northern Ireland forward.

The 20-year-old had already been the subject of two offers from Celtic, most recently during the transfer window in January when the Hoops offered £2.5m plus Derek Riordan, which was turned down. A £3.5m bid from Wolves was also rejected last week.

And with Premiership sides also keeping an eye on the striker, Coyle has braced himself for fresh interest in his hot property.

He said: "We expect to be inundated with expressions of interest this summer for Kyle Lafferty.

"The lad is a great talent and one of the best players at the club but it would take something really special to prise him away."

Back in January, after Lafferty learned about Gordon Strachan's interest in him, he said: "Celtic are a huge club and I'm honoured to be the subject of a bid.

"I grew up supporting Rangers but that won't stand in my way and the lure of European football is very appealing."

The Old Firm could be set for a race similar to one last summer when both chased midfielder Scott Brown.

Celtic beat Rangers to the Scotland star when they shelled out £4.4m to prise him from Hibs.

The stage is now set for Strachan and Smith to go toe to toe in a bid to land one of English football's hottest properties.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20431021/

Kyle Lafferty Rangers move could smash fee record

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

By Steve Watson

Rangers will have to make Kyle Lafferty Northern Ireland's most expensive current international if they are to take the 20-year-old striker to Glasgow.

Walter Smith has been keeping tabs on the Burnley-man for a while and it emerged last night that the Ibrox club had an undisclosed offer rejected by the Clarets three weeks ago.

Now Rangers will have to up the ante if they are to beat Old Firm rivals Celtic to the Kesh-man's signature.

A year ago former Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez failed with a £4million bid for Lafferty when he was in charge at Fulham and Rangers are likely to have to pay more than that if they are to clinch a deal.

Celtic offered £2.5million plus striker Derek Riordan in January only to have that rejected.

Rangers are also keen on Lafferty's international team-mate Steve Davis, who was on-loan at Ibrox and who moved to Fulham for £4million last summer.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/atex-imp...icle3741694.ece

RANGERS are set to use veteran defender David Weir as bait to lure striker Kyle Lafferty away from Turf Moor.

The Scottish Cup holders are favourites to land the Irish international, who is a big Gers fan.

And they are set to test Burnley's resolve by offering a cash plus player deal, which includes Weir as a makeweight.

advertisement

The 38-year-old has been told by boss Walter Smith that he will not be an automatic first choice next season.

Sources in Scotland say the former Everton defender is keen to move back to England, and his family is still in Lancashire.

But much will depend on Burnley manager Owen Coyle, who sees Lafferty as a key player as he attempts to build a side around his young players.

Burnley have so far resisted all attempts to wrestle Lafferty away from Turf Moor, but they will come under increasing pressure this summer as some of football's big guns come knocking at the door.

Last week, Wolves reportedly tabled a £4 million deal, which is thought to have included Steven Elliott.

The Clarets have also rejected a £4m offer from Fulham, and £3m plus the £1m-rated Derek Riordan from Celtic.

But Smith has been admirer of Lafferty for almost two years, and sees the youngster as a major summer target.

Weir, capped 61 times by Scotland, started his career with Falkirk before moving to Hearts. Walter Smith took him to Everton in 2002 for £200,000, where he played more than 250 games.

Smith then signed him for Rangers in January 2007, and he has featured 78 times, culminating in Saturday's Scottish Cup victory over Queen of the South.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...ets_striker.php

Burnley will tell us the scum offered 3 million plus Riordan so we will need to close to that

Is the guy even worth shelling out for? Got to be honest here and admit I know heehaw about him, does he have a first touch, ability to hold the ball up, pace, technique, good goals to games ratio? why has no-one else went in for him at a higher level?

Sorry to sound so pessimistic here but as we are all aware money is tight in the coffers, would hate to see us shell out for someone when we could promote from within or sign someone cheaper with better ability and stats

For some reason I thought he was a lot older, at least he is a big bloke who can play up front or on the left and with Naismith probably going to be out all next season he might be an ok signing, I'm in two minds about him, my heart says he could do well for us, but my brain is saying it could be a disaster.

I do find it amusing that we're supposedly going to be using Weir as bait to sign him, as I'm sure Weir is now out of contract and can go to any club on a Bosman.

I am really confused about why we are supposedly in a bidding war of over £4 million for a guy who has a scoring ratio of a defender and it is being suggested that we would accept £2million for Boyd with his scoring ratio.

Is the new attacking philosophy and system going to involve punting alternate high balls to both sides of the park hoping that Lumbering Lee and Lumbering Lafferty can, on a few occsasions nod the ball on for Miller to miss the target?