Andrius Velicka

Ibroxblue

Rangers set to launch shock £1m transfer bid for ex-Hearts forward Andrius Velicka

Jun 7 2008 Exclusive by Neil Cameron

RANGERS are poised to make a shock bid for former Hearts striker Andrius Velicka.

Record Sport can reveal the Ibrox club will table a £1million offer for the Lithuanian who joined Viking Stavanger in Norway from the Tynecastle club in February.

Manager Walter Smith expects to get his man and is also confident the transfer of Kenny Miller will be completed this weekend. Velicka scored 14 goals in 26 games for Hearts last season, including one against Rangers at Ibrox.

Smith hopes to land the 27-year-old hitman for around £1m, the same figure that took him to Norway where he scored three times in six appearances after his move.

Smith expects Miller's controversial £1.75m switch from Derby County to be sealed before Monday. The Scotland striker will sign a three-year deal to become the first footballer in modern history to play for Rangers twice and also for Celtic.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2008/06...86908-20598469/

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers set to launch shock £1m transfer bid for ex-Hearts forward Andrius Velicka

Jun 7 2008 Exclusive by Neil Cameron

RANGERS are poised to make a shock bid for former Hearts striker Andrius Velicka.

Record Sport can reveal the Ibrox club will table a £1million offer for the Lithuanian who joined Viking Stavanger in Norway from the Tynecastle club in February.

Velicka scored 14 goals in 26 games for Hearts last season, including one against Rangers at Ibrox.

Smith hopes to land the 27-year-old hitman for around £1m, the same figure that took him to Norway where he scored three times in six appearances after his move.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20598469/

Awful journalism, Velicka is now 29 years old.

Hopefully just pish as he's yet another player who would do a job, nothing more, not the quality we require.

The lack of knowledge and ambition shown by the club is frightening.

FFS. £1m for Velicka, £2m for Miller and we were prepared to spend £1m on Reynolds. Now I have no problem with strengthening the squad with 'do a job' bit part players, but only if it doesn't come at the expense of quality.

Now those 3 would cost us £4m. If our transfer budget is just £10m, as indicated a few months ago, then that would leave only £6m to bring in quality players that would actually improve our starting 11. And that's simply not enough.

Our budget better be £15m minimum if we really plan on landing some of the mediocrity we've been linked with recently.

FFS. £1m for Velicka, £2m for Miller and we were prepared to spend £1m on Reynolds. Now I have no problem with strengthening the squad with 'do a job' bit part players, but only if it doesn't come at the expense of quality.

Now those 3 would cost us £4m. If our transfer budget is just £10m, as indicated a few months ago, then that would leave only £6m to bring in quality players that would actually improve our starting 11. And that's simply not enough.

Our budget better be £15m minimum if we really plan on landing some of the mediocrity we've been linked with recently.

I think it was mentioned last year that we didnt have a budget as such. A ballpark figure was given to WS and if he went over that he had to justify it to SDM, supposedly. Probably be the same thhis year.

im not going to get too carried away yet but lets hope to see some real quality players being romoured about ibrox in the next few weeks.

lets hope to see some real quality players being romoured about ibrox in the next few weeks.

More chance of England winning the Euro's than us being linked with and signing the 'real quality' players that both Bain and Smith were on about.

He's just not a player who will improve us. Doesn't surprise me if we are after him, ex SPL player, means Walter and Chester wouldn't of had to get off their arse and watch a player.

Who else can we go for, Stephen Pearson, Mathias Doumbe, Ulises de la Cruz, Ivan Sproule, Russell Anderson....

Guest The Brown Brogue

If this is the best we can do then I'm glad my season ticket this season fell through (due to the ticket offices ineptness surprise surprise).

Going by our transfer targets so far, it would appear our ambitions are aimed no higher than 2nd place in the SPL.

Can't see any threads on this so apologises if there is already one about him.

What do you's all think of him??

Anyone with any more info on the story or is it just another guess that the Daily Rebel has made on our signings???

EDIT: Sorry Admin didn't realise there was a transfer talk room.

i aint seen the papers today yet, has he been linked with us??

i think he's a decent player and was held back at hearts due to their regime, and i think he'd be ten times the signing Mhisser will ever be, his finishing is deadly and clinical and he always makes intelligent runs, i rate him and would'nt mind him here to be honest.

He would be a good back up if we were to sign another European class forward. But him and miller would not be an improvement on what we have IMO