Edu - an American dream

Muff

DaMarcus Beasley issued a glowing endorsement of Rangers' latest American acquisition, Maurice Edu, writes Darryl Broadfoot.

The club will this week attempt to secure a work permit for the 22-year-old US international midfielder after agreeing a $5m transfer with Major League Soccer for the player, who won the Rookie of the Year award while at Toronto FC.

His arrival will enable Brahim Hemdani to leave as part of the Rangers exodus between now and the transfer deadline.

Edu watched Saturday's 2-0 win against Hearts from the directors' box and Beasley expressed his excitement at working with the athletic holding midfielder. "He is a good young player who can use either foot," said Beasley. "He has a good size on him and is very fit; he will push guys like Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson on.

"He played in the Olympic team at centre-back and broke into the main team at 22.

He was rookie of the year last year and can definitely play.

" We hang in the same group in the national team and it will be good to work with him every day."

Edu will be joined by Steven Davis, who returns this week, with Rangers now expected to make one more signing, a centre-back, before the deadline. Martin Bain, the Rangers chief executive, will now turn his attention to relocating the squad surplus. Daniel Cousin, Hemdani and Alan Gow are all allowed to leave, while Andy Webster, a loan target for Motherwell, and Graeme Smith, the third-choice goalkeeper, also have no immediate prospects at the club.

Steven Smith will be given until the January window to show he is capable of recovering from a two-year injury absence, while the arrivals of Edu, Pedro Mendes and Aaron Niguez Escaplez have pushed Charlie Adam and Christian Dailly down the pecking order. Walter Smith, the Rangers manager, declared himself satisfied with his new options. "I felt the midfield was an area we had to improve on," he said. "People have to realise that things don't appear right in front of you; sometimes it takes a bit longer.

"Pedro was influential in an area we felt a bit short.

If we get the other two Edu and Davis, added to the three strikers we signed in the summer, hopefully we will be successful in our aims."

went on a Toronto forum and they seem very happy he is leaving <cr> he hasn't performed at all this year and they are even slagging the standard of the SPL. I don't think they realise that $5 mil is actually £2.5 mil to us. One Canadian said he will be watching Rangers a lot more to see how he progresses which I thought was good for us :) here's the link : http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4691

went on a Toronto forum and they seem very happy he is leaving <cr> he hasn't performed at all this year and they are even slagging the standard of the SPL.

Sour grapes. A lot of our guys were doing the same with Cuellars departure.

Also, they're American.

Toronto is in Canada last time I checked.

went on a Toronto forum and they seem very happy he is leaving <cr> he hasn't performed at all this year and they are even slagging the standard of the SPL.

Also, they're American.

Balls, I keep thinking the MLS is purely American.

Okay, they American Jr.

Also, they're American.

Canadians. :mutley: wtf do they know anyhoo? :P

Also, they're American.

Thats what it looked like to me after reading it as well.

Also, they're American.

Balls, I keep thinking the MLS is purely American.

Okay, they American Jr.

Haha that's about right actually.

Anyway, I've seen him play quite a few times over here and he's definitely good enough to play for us, TFC are just awful and he doesn't fit in well with a team that can't play with him. Figure he'll come good in a year or so and be a steal for the price.

The standard of the MLS is on par with our First Divison at most times. Not kidding. So if they slag off our league I just wouldn't listen at all.

Afterall, we can make our own decision on Mo soon!

Mo is the real deal. Most MLS players slack off when they know they are leaving for Europe. Beas did the same thing when he was leaving Chicago for PSV. Definite sour grapes from their fans since Edu was one their only stars. TFC is bottom rung. Marvell Wynne will probably be the next to exit. If not this year, next window. Rangers should keep an eye on him if RB is not sorted.

Mo is the real deal. Most MLS players slack off when they know they are leaving for Europe. Beas did the same thing when he was leaving Chicago for PSV. Definite sour grapes from their fans since Edu was one their only stars. TFC is bottom rung. Marvell Wynne will probably be the next to exit. If not this year, next window. Rangers should keep an eye on him if RB is not sorted.

Agreed. Toronto FC is terrible.

It occurs to me that Walter may actually be considering Edu as cover at RB as well... he certainly has more pace than Broadfoot.

He has virtually no experience playing at Centerback. He played in the Olympics due to injury emergency. He has little experience at RB as well. He is a defensive/ central midfielder by trade.

Do not expect him to play at all for the first several months if Smith wants him to play CB.

DMF or even RB, I can him getting a few games over the next few months.

Another American, Claudio Reyna, was forced to do the same for Rangers in the past, shifting from midfield to full back.

Agreed. Toronto FC is terrible.

It occurs to me that Walter may actually be considering Edu as cover at RB as well... he certainly has more pace than Broadfoot.

He has virtually no experience playing at Centerback. He played in the Olympics due to injury emergency. He has little experience at RB as well. He is a defensive/ central midfielder by trade.

Do not expect him to play at all for the first several months if Smith wants him to play CB.

DMF or even RB, I can him getting a few games over the next few months.

Another American, Claudio Reyna, was forced to do the same for Rangers in the past, shifting from midfield to full back.

Rubbish! Toronto are not a bad team at all,and there is no way Walter would dream of playing Edu at right back,and if he wanted a right back Marvel Wynne would be the obvious signing then.

Rubbish! Toronto are not a bad team at all,and there is no way Walter would dream of playing Edu at right back,and if he wanted a right back Marvel Wynne would be the obvious signing then.

You mean like Walter Smith wouldn't dream of playing:

A Centerback at LB (Papac)

A Centerback at RB (Broadfoot)

A Rightback at Central Midfield (Whittaker)

A Rightback at Right and Left Wing (Whittaker)

A Rightback at Leftback (Whittaker)

A Striker in Central Midfield (McCulloch)

A slow DMF at Centerback (Dailly)

A slow DMF at Rightback (Dailly)

A creative Holding MF as an Attacking MF (Ferguson)

A central MF at Right Wing (Davis)

Every striker in the side bar Kris Boyd on the Wing (Novo, Lafferty, Naismith, Darcheville, Cousin, Miller)

Really, you mean just like that. :rolleyes:

All of these were starts last season or early this season. I'm not saying its worked out badly in most cases, or that it wasn't partially due to injury or that it doesn't happen for other clubs... but jesus... Walter Smith would never dream of beating Celtic either under that criteria.

I hope Edu doesn't play at RB or CB at all, but history tells other otherwise

Plus, where I come from finishing bottom of the league in points, goals scored, and losses and being in nearly the same position at this time, having sold your best player.... :unsure:

http://web.mlsnet.com/standings/index.jsp?...s&year=2007

means you are a dire team. Hopefully things improve for Toronto, but its not happening this season.

"I felt the midfield was an area we had to improve on,"

now he realises it doh

I seem to remember during Jock Wallace's second term there was a big sign inside Ibrox that said something along the lines of "The Motto Says Ready So Make Sure You Are" ... if only Murray had nailed that to Walter's office wall before he went his summer holidays <_<