***Official NHL Thread***

bluenose_72

When NFL ain't on guys I'll tune in to a bit of Hockey I'll also cheer NY Rangers just cause Rangers in there name (tu)

No, the Boston Bruins they are bears :P

LOL. That's true.

Dov in Hebrew means bear. (this one is what I just learned a few days ago)

Oso in Spanish means bear.

Ours in French means bear.

Gers in Rangerspeak means bear. :D

Bruin is probably Dutch (?) means bear.

In the 1970s, the Bruins were a force to be reckoned. Bobby Orr, Brad Park, and others were the reasons they got the Stanley Cup.

Afinogenov gets the empty netter and the Atlanta Thrashers win 5-3!! :D :D

Unlucky landoso, it was all Rangers in the 3rd and they really should have tied it.

Oh, well. Congratulations on the win tonight. That means the Thrashers are now 5-5-1 in the last 11 games whereas the Rangers are 3-7-1.

Bruins lose 1-0 in OT. :(

Dang! The Southern teams are winning: Atlanta over New York Rangers and Florida over Boston.

Washington beat the Islanders last night aswell! :lol:

Bruins are really struggling for offense just now with Savard and Lucic out. I think they visit Phillips next Thursday, should be a good game and a win for Atlanta :D:P

Leafs for the Stanley Cup, Phil Kessel for Lester B Pearson & Art Ross and The Monster for the Vezina. :craphead:

I live just outside Toronto so I would like to see it.

I'm actually a Colorado Avalanche fan though, still got my Patrick Roy jersey from 1999 when I was only 10, it fits a little snug. What a start to the season though, great to see them back to winning ways, it's been a bad few years.

Stars have to play in San Jose tonight :anguish:

I'd expect Joe Thornton and Marleau to run riot

And the Stars win in a shootout (tu)

Saw that, finally they win a shootout-they've had lots of trouble in those. Stephane Robidas surprisingly nets in the shootout

Those pesky New Jersey Devils!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2009111216&prov=ap

PITTSBURGH (AP)—The New Jersey Devils’ road winning streak keeps going on and on. Or exactly how an unaccustomed run of losing feels to the beaten-up Pittsburgh Penguins.

Niclas Bergfors had a goal and two assists and the Devils closed within a victory of tying the NHL record of 10 consecutive road victories to start a season, beating the slumping Penguins 4-1 on Thursday night.

Zach Parise(notes) added a goal and an assist, Travis Zajac(notes) had three assists and Martin Brodeur(notes) made 25 saves as New Jersey improved to 9-0 on the road. The Devils can tie the road streak record, set by Buffalo in 2006-07, Monday in Philadelphia.

“Honestly, I don’t even pay attention to that record,” said Bryce Salvador(notes), who had an assist. “We’re just really trying to be consistent. We’re hoping the road play starts rubbing off at home and we’ll start a good streak there, too.”

New Jersey, 4-4 at home, won its seventh in a row overall and, with 26 points, tied idle Washington for first place in the Eastern Conference.

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby(notes) ended a career-worst five-game scoreless streak by assisting on Ruslan Fedotenko’s(notes) goal in the first period, but still had a frustrating night as the Stanley Cup champions lost their fourth in a row.

With the Penguins down 3-1 midway through the third, Crosby put a backhander off the left post and a wrist shot off the right post seconds apart during a failed power play—Pittsburgh’s 25th in a row. Crosby then trimmed a minute off the power play by taking a holding penalty.

“Two posts was not easy (to take) right now,” Crosby said. “It’s a matter of time. That’s how hockey works, it’s not always fair and it doesn’t always seem like it’s right. I thought there were some chances to be had and some goals to be had.”

Just not by the Penguins on the power play.

They haven’t scored with the man advantage since star Evgeni Malkin(notes) left the lineup Oct. 29 with a strained right shoulder, one of six injured players currently out of their lineup. Last season’s scoring champion took part in the morning skate and could return as early as Saturday against Boston.

New Jersey took a 2-1 lead late in the second after Pittsburgh’s Bill Guerin(notes) went off for interference. Andy Greene’s(notes) one-timer from the center point banked off Penguins rookie defenseman Ben Lovejoy(notes), who was called up from the minors earlier in the day, and eluded goalie Marc-Andre Fleury(notes). Zajac and Bergfors both assisted.

“We were fortunate to get out of the first period down one,” Zajac said. “I think Marty kept us in the game. We didn’t do a good job making plays, we turned the puck over a lot. That said, we got one on the power play and went from there.”

Fleury is 2-6 after beginning the season 8-0. He has lost four in a row for the first time since Dec. 27-Jan. 5, and the Penguins are 12-7 after starting 12-3.

“We got used to winning, so it’s frustrating to get those losses,” Fleury said.

The Penguins started the third period on the power play after Zajac drew a holding period to end the second but they couldn’t convert, and Parise scored his ninth of the season with 4:43 gone.

Pittsburgh’s Jay McKee(notes) couldn’t control the puck near mid-ice, allowing Zajac to hit Parise in stride as he skated in from the left circle. Parise has six goals and seven assists in nine road games, the kind of production that’s allowing New Jersey to withstand injuries to Rob Niedermayer(notes), Paul Martin(notes), Johnny Oduya(notes), Jay Pandolfo(notes) and Dean McAmmond(notes).

“I don’t know what it is, we’re just playing well,” Parise said.

The Penguins, who have never been shut out in three consecutive games, ended a scoreless streak of 160 minutes, 41 seconds when Fedotenko scored during a scramble in the crease at 11:32 of the first. Crosby started the play with a backhander from along the goal line. The Penguins’ scoreless streak record is 170 minutes, 27 seconds.

The Devils, who also won 4-1 in Pittsburgh on Oct. 24, tied it at 1 when Parise grabbed the puck during a scramble along the left wing boards and fed it to Bergfors in the slot for his fifth.

David Clarkson(notes) scored for the second night in a row, into an empty net with two seconds remaining.

NOTES: Penguins D Brooks Orpik(notes) is expected to be out for about two weeks with an undisclosed injury that occurred during a collision along the end boards with Bruins D Mark Stuart(notes) on Tuesday. … Brodeur remains one shutout away from tying Terry Sawchuk’s league record of 103. … Pittsburgh won its first seven on the road, only to drop the final three of a four-game trip that ended in Boston.

The Atlantic Division in the Eastern Conference is one of the toughest and tightest divisions with 4 teams with 10+ wins (NJD- 13-4-0; Pittsburgh- 12-7-0; Philly 10-4-1; NYR 10-8-1)

The Devils have 26 points, the Pens have 24 points, and the Flyers and the Rangers are tied with 21 points. Right now, the Devils and the Caps are tied at 26 points for the Eastern Conference standings.

Several games worth mentioning (most of the games below are over except a few way below):

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap;_ylt=Au1...414&prov=ap

NY Rangers 2

Ottawa 1 * Final SO

Anaheim 4

Detroit 7 Final

NY Islanders 4

Florida 5 Final SO

Buffalo 3

Philadelphia 2 Final

Washington 2

New Jersey 5 Final

Calgary 5

Toronto 2 Final

Boston 5

Pittsburgh 6 Final OT

Los Angeles 2

Tampa Bay 1 Final SO

----------------------------------- Games are still ongoing (below) Click on the link above to find out the final results.

Montreal 0

Nashville 2 5:00 3rd

San Jose 2

St. Louis 1 3:26 3rd

Dallas 2

Phoenix 3 2:40 3rd

Vancouver 3

Colorado 0 8:22 1st

Carolina snap a 14 game losing streak, beating the Minnesota Wild 5-4 in a shootout.

The Atlanta Thrashers continue their hot streak by beating the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 to go 10-6-1. Veteran Slava Kozlov scored the game winning goal with his first of the season.

San Jose are at Chicago later tonight.

The Great 8 makes his return tonight at the Rangers.

They can't catch a break right now. First Kovalchuk returns against them last week and gets a goal and 2 assists. Now Ovechkin returns against them!

Now watching a bit of this game, New York just scored