Students invited to watch bigotry at football

Sociology students' trip to observe 'working class culture' at Millwall FC

Varndean College in Brighton promises students they will be able to see 'the new lad' and possible racism and homophobia at a football game

woolford_3008558b.jpg

Millwall's Martyn Woolford celebrating a goal Photo: REX

By Rosa Silverman, and Bill Gardner

12:09PM GMT 10 Dec 2014

To anyone else, a trip to a football match would merely be a chance to see some sport played.

But for sociology students at one sixth form college, it has been billed as an educational opportunity to see racism, homophobia, hyper masculinity and working class culture in action.

Varndean College in Brighton is offering AS-level sociology students the chance to watch Brighton and Hove Albion take on the “notorious” Millwall Football Club at their home team’s American Express Community Stadium.

A poster for the trip on Friday says those involved will be able to see “gender performance” in action, including types such as “the new lad” on show.

There will also be a chance to observe “issues around sexuality, race and ethnicity,” “women challenging gender norms” and to “even talk to football fans,” it promises.

A schedule of planned trips on the college’s website says the football excursion would help teach students about class, leisure and masculinity, and possible racism and homophobia as well.

But Millwall FC appeared less than happy with the idea of being studied as a sociological phenomenon.

“It does make me wonder why they chose Millwall for that,” a source at the club said.

One Varndean sociology student and Millwall fan said describing the club as notorious was “a bit outdated as we're no longer in the 1980s.”

She said: “As a Millwall fan I think there are some underlying, unjustifiable stereotypes about Millwall. As a club we have fronted many Kick It Out campaigns.

“From the college's point of view, and as a sociology student, I understand them using the trip to try to explain some sociological terms but I do feel that ‘women challenging gender norms’ is unfair as women have been attending football games since day dot.”

But she found the idea of the trip “humorous”, she said, adding: “Millwall fans are thick-skinned and used to criticism.

“I do not think the college had any bad intentions when designing the trip and I wouldn't like to be seen as badmouthing the college that is providing me with a very good education.”

Pete Bailey, Head of Sociology at the college, said Brighton was the college’s local team and “it just so happens that the only evening match around this time of year is the match against Millwall on Friday evening.”

He added: “As part of the AQA AS Sociology syllabus on Culture and Identity, students are expected to study the relationship of identity to gender and social class among other things, also the relationship between leisure activities and identity.

“Going to the football provides an opportunity to look at some of these things outside the classroom.”

There's bound to be some wee scummy on a sociology course at a college near Easterhouse having ideas about his class project.