Refund poor performances?

AlBear.

The Sunderland supporters continued to cheer for their players until the final whistle and Mannone says he wants to meet the costs of the 700-mile away day for the 2,500 fans.

"I will personally talk to the team to see if it is possible to pay for their tickets and their trip," he said.

"I really mean that we should pay their tickets and travel. I will do everything possible. We should do it because we didn't put a foot in, we didn't work hard. We started the game well but after we conceded we threw in the towel and I include myself."

Would mean each player in the Sunderland matchday squad paying £25,000 each.

Admirable gesture, or empty sentiment?

I live in Northumberland so get all the local football news. There's a big split between Black Cat fans who say 'thick and thin' no refunds and others who think it's a good idea. It's the goalie who is behind the move so lets see if he can get it organised.

I took my Sunderland supporting son in law to the game at Ibrox on Saturday and he is taking me to see Sunderland v Arsenal this weekend. They won the game after on both the previous occasions when they lost 8 - nil so who knows they might manage a good game agains the gunners.

Sunderland players offer refund to fans at 8-0 defeat by Southampton

• Supporters who made trip to St Mary’s offered money back

• O’Shea: we win and lose as a team, players, staff and fans

• Poyet embarrassed by Sunderland’s thrashing at Southampton

• We must pay Sunderland fans for flop, says Vito Mannone

John-OShea-011.jpg

The Sunderland captain, John O'Shea, says the players need to acknowledge the support they received at St Mary's

Sunderland’s shell-shocked players have offered to refund the cost of supporters’ tickets for their 8-0 Premier League humiliation at Southampton.

More than 2,500 fans who made the long trip to the south coast on Saturday will be able to claim back the cost of admission, or have the sum donated to city-based children’s hospice Grace House instead.

The Sunderland captain, John O’Shea, said: “We win and lose as a team, players, staff and fans. However, we wanted to acknowledge and thank the supporters who travelled such a long way to give us their backing and despite everything, stayed with us until the final whistle.”

Saturday’s defeat was Sunderland’s worst in 32 years, leaving the manager, Gus Poyet, to admit it was “the most embarrassed I’ve ever been on a pitch, without any doubt”.

The goalkeeper Vito Mannone suggested the idea immediately after the horror show during which he picked the ball out of his net on eight occasions – with his own team-mates responsible for two of the goals.

The offer will cost the players in excess of £60,000. The fans have until 5pm on 5 November to submit a claim by returning their match ticket either in person or by post.