The Media, Whyte and his arrest.

OlegKuznetsov

The media have loved poring over the many details of our woes as we are all too aware of. Recent developments relating to Whyte, his fraud in connection to the purchase of our Club, the arrest warrants and now his arrest are all as significant as any chapter in this seemingly unending saga. Could all the wrongs done to the Club have been averted, had someone just had the nous to wave a flag at an earlier stage.

Do recall Jim Traynor's statements outlining his raising of Whyte's dubious tax methods with the authorities, who appeared to take a "wait and see" line, before telling us that Whyte's football offences were "second only to match-fixing"- a phrase the media went positively giddy on.

So an arrest for fraud in relation to the purchase is hardly small beer that is easily dismissed.

Yet the media only seem to give passing mention of it, as if it weren't actually related to anything which is currently ongoing. It's definitely odd. Indeed, given their penchant for drooling over each new negative, giving light scrutiny to an arrest of a former owner, particularly in relation said fraudulent purchase of the nation's largest and most successful football club, does seem decidedly strange. A chance to castigate a figure connected with Rangers who has done great wrongs normally gets fully exploited in Scotland.

Could this strange silence perhaps be due the fact that the latest events tend to vindicate its supporters in their claim of being unfairly victimised by all and sundry, just as said media were salivating over all the mud the felt able to sling not so long ago?

One cant help but wonder. However, I'll leave that for you to decide.

It's currently second top BBC Scottish news story after the devolution announcement and is front page of the BBC sport website.

I'm sure it'll be back page headline at least in tomorrow's tabloids.

"The media" will print whatever sells newspapers/gains web hits and I don't expect this to be any different.

The media have loved poring over the many details of our woes as we are all too aware of.

Yet the media only seem to give passing mention of it, as if it weren't actually related to anything which is currently ongoing. It's definitely odd. Indeed, given their penchant for drooling over each new negative, giving light scrutiny to an arrest of a former owner, particularly in relation said fraudulent purchase of the nation's largest and most successful football club, does seem decidedly strange. A change to castigate a figure connected with Rangers who has done great wrongs normally gets fully exploited in Scotland.

Could this strange silence perhaps be due the fact that the latest events tend to vindicate its supporters in their claim of being unfairly victimised by all and sundry, just as said media were salivating over all the mud the felt able to sling not so long ago?

One cant help but wonder. However, I'll leave that for you to decide.

You're assuming everyone thinks Rangers were the victims of Craig Whyte. That's not the case. Many in the media, and especially any football related media, still pedal the notion that Rangers are the bad guys. Even if Craig Whyte got jail time many would still point the fingers at Rangers and say 'see, that's what you deserve for living beyond yur means'.

You're assuming everyone thinks Rangers were the victims of Craig Whyte. That's not the case. Many in the media, and especially any football related media, still pedal the notion that Rangers are the bad guys. Even if Craig Whyte got jail time many would still point the fingers at Rangers and say 'see, that's what you deserve for living beyond yur means'.

The problem with that is the debt was only a paltry 18 million when whyte took over so we never did live beyond our means

Any bad news story for Rangers results in 14 page pullouts rehashing all they think or can spin has gone before.

Stories like this never get much publicity. Imagine the story was Craig Whytes claim on Rangers getting some backing. They would be all over that like flies on a tim.

It's not all down to legalities either as some have claimed. I recognise sub judicae, or judasy in this twats case, but I doubt it has much influence over his arrest alone.

Remember when the tax case verdict came out. It got column millimetres of coverage and was printed behind their retractions and apologies on page 47. (The one with adverts for old womans boots and the big slipper)

They are still sitting on scotlands biggest football related story, the celtic land deals. so its no surprise they are in no hurry to report on Google getting lifted in the best mexican takeaway since Taco Mazuma. (Takeo Mazoomer in his case)

It's been a great week to be a bear, with the fraudsters getting lifted, Whyte getting rounded up and chucked into his own private midnight express. All we need is a good result for FC RedBull Salzburg. (Interesting on the BBC and other sites, they have no problem calling them Red Bull. Another myth we can consider busted)

The problem with that is the debt was only a paltry 18 million when whyte took over so we never did live beyond our means

At the time EBTs were used by Rangers they were perfectly legal. Lord Nimmo and the SFA's independent tribunal ruled that Rangers never gained any unfair sporting advantage by using them. Fact is, Craig Whyte stopped paying TAX and PAYE since day one this creating the 'wee' tax case and that's why we entered admin. If SDM had kept a hold of the club for just one more year all of this may have been avoided.

None of this matters because we've been found guilty in the court of public opinion.

when the dust settles will anyone take the sfa/spl to task over the shettleston harriers gaining an unfair sporting advantage?

The SFA fined Rangers 50k just for going in to admin. Hearts and Dunfermline however didn't need to pay that fine. We can't even call the SFA to task for that. Where's the sporting integrity in that? Rangers is so poorly represented it's scary.

It's currently second top BBC Scottish news story after the devolution announcement and is front page of the BBC sport website.

I'm sure it'll be back page headline at least in tomorrow's tabloids.

"The media" will print whatever sells newspapers/gains web hits and I don't expect this to be any different.

I wonder if they will show a spoof animation of their editor in chief jumping off pacific quay.

We'll probably get punished for Whyte getting found guilty. And I'm no fucking joking!

This is it.

Whyte's wrongdoing against the Club will be portrayed by some as the misdeeds of the Club.

These are the people who thought it was OK to hurl monkey noises and bananas at black people, yet now portray their club as a bastion of tolerance, despite ongoing racist, anti-semetic and sectarian offences by, not just their fans, but their players, past and present alike.