What if we'd stuck with the youth?

NeoGeo7

back in 2012 when we demoted to 3rd division I was full of optimism for the future. The opportunity to start afresh and build a team and business we could all be proud of.

Two and a bit years later and we've gone back to where we were before administration. I feel gutted by this but also wonder where would we be had we stuck with the youth players of 2012 and added a few players from the lower divisions to provide the experience. Of course we'd have to have had a better management team than we do now.

I think we'd probably still have been in the championship and most likely doing no worse than we are now, however we'd be better off financially. The likes of sinnamon, telfer, McKay, Gallagher and Murdoch would be established first team players along with Aird and MacLeod.

Where do you think we'd realistically be right now?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back in 2012 when we demoted to 3rd division I was full of optimism for the future. The opportunity to start afresh and build a team and business we could all be proud of.

Two and a bit years later and we've gone back to where we were before administration. I feel gutted by this but also wonder where would we be had we stuck with the youth players of 2012 and added a few players from the lower divisions to provide the experience. Of course we'd have to have had a better management team than we do now.

I think we'd probably still have been in the championship and most likely doing no worse than we are now, however we'd be better off financially. The likes of sinnamon, telfer, McKay, Gallagher and Murdoch would be established first team players along with Aird and MacLeod.

(tu)

We'd be in the championship, and I'm convinced we'd be playing a better standard of football if we stuck with Telfer McKay Macleod Luca etc. We would have dropped more points through the rise to the championship, but it would've been for the greater good.

As for this year, with two years behind the team I reckon we'd have been just as impressive, if not more than hearts.

Unfortunately, even if we did that, I wouldn't trust the current set of coaching and management staff to get the best out the players.

The youngsters couldn't win the division they were in.

Filling the team with youngsters, some of whom plainly aren't good enough would have held us back years.

It required a blend of youth and experience but I honestly believe with the correct management team in place that it was achievable. Sadly a combination of impatient support and incompetent, cowardly leadership put paid to the idea even before we played Brechin in August 2012.

According to Ally's press conference today we would have struggled in div 3!?!

Like Hearts are struggling with their youth this season!!

With him in change i agree we would have struggled. You would need a choice capable of getting the best out of a squad and encouraging them. McCoist doesnt have it in his locker it seems

Alexander

? Gasparatto ? Wallace

Aird McCulloch MacLeod McKay

Little Gallagher

only an experienced cb and a rb would've been required to win 3rd and 2nd div imo,we could then have added a couple more players for the championship sure we wouldn't have gone unbeaten but we would still have comfortably won they leagues and would be much healthier financially

We could of easily went with youth and a few seasoned professionals. We would of had to of brought in a few youth players though as a few of ours aren't good enough.

I think we would of still made it to the championship, but with out the major point differences, we would also of saved a few million a year in wages.

If ally had said "this is what i am going to do..." and it was along the lines the poster has alluded to then he would be in the same league he is in now and not so many people would have been on his back. But he didn't - he took the easy route.

Re the youth: It was apparent that some of them weren't good enough - and Ally was correct to get rid of them. But with his approach he threw out the baby with the bathwater.

We’d be no better off than we are now which would in turn have saved us millions and not seen us have to let go a number of good people within the club.

As DBBTB posted a core group made up of our younger players, some tried and tested low division players in these leagues mixed in with the players we already retained then we would be where we find ourselves today....maybe with 2 more cups and not a sizable distance below a team just out of admin too!

The various boards and Ally McCoist cost us dear in the end.

It required a blend of youth and experience but I honestly believe with the correct management team in place that it was achievable. Sadly a combination of impatient support and incompetent, cowardly leadership put paid to the idea even before we played Brechin in August 2012.

It could have been achieved had we a scouting network to hunt down new young players, something we still don't have. We would have required a long term footballing strategy too. Fat chance of that when we can't keep a CEO for more than a year and we are needing loans to see us half way through a season.

It all has to come from the top and our board lack strategic vision. We must be the only professional club in the world with no scouting network. It's a bloody disgrace.

We could never have went with the youth all the seasoned pro's that Ally has signed have went back thanks to his regime so imagine what would have happened to a team of boys ... he's not a manager and has used sledgehammers to crack tinty nuts during the last 2 seasons and is now getting found out

It could have been achieved had we a scouting network to hunt down new young players, something we still don't have. We would have required a long term footballing strategy too. Fat chance of that when we can't keep a CEO for more than a year and we are needing loans to see us half way through a season.

It all has to come from the top and our board lack strategic vision. We must be the only professional club in the world with no scouting network. It's a bloody disgrace.

Funnily enough I've never heard Ally moan in a press conference about the board stopping him trying to build for the future with scouts and looking for the best young players.

He only moans that he wants to speak to the board/CEO about funds to buy more players.

While I will agree with you the board have no plan, if they did they would get of shot Ally.

We could never have went with the youth all the seasoned pro's that Ally has signed have went back thanks to his regime so imagine what would have happened to a team of boys

Well Aird and Lewis are the only ones who seem not to have turned to shit so maybe a team of boys would have been better.

Everyone ALly brought in has regressed badly to the point no other club will come near them.

I completely agree, I believe weak leadership led to the easy decision of panic buys before the transfer embargo then as many free transfer SPL players as you can shake a stick at.

Either way with the opportunity to fine tune tactics and footballing ethos in the lower leagues mccoist has done nothing other than play duds continuously and put players out of position e.g. Macleod.

If I were in the youth ranks at rangers I'd do exactly what telfer did. We could have had a model similar to Hamilton and Dundee Utd but with the additional resources that come with such a well supported club.

It's a huge opportunity missed in my opinion.

Do you think it's too late now or could an immediate change in management turn it around?

There's no doubt we could've won the first 2 leagues with youth, the experienced players we had (Wallace, Alexander, McCulloch, Little), and just cherry picked the best of the rest (like Clark) as we moved up the divisions. There was no need to go out and bring in all these guys from the SPL, old pals like Miller, Boyd, Smith, Foster, and gamble on those like Peralta who I doubt we knew anything about.

Ally's methods knocked the optimism out of me after the 3rd divison and I've not been back since. It's clear as day the guy is wrong for the job and he's set us back years IMO. When Ally goes I'll go back, not before.

While I think we would have been a lot better off going with the younger players I suspect any money that that would have saved Green and his cronies would have found away to take it out. While I do not have a great deal of time for the present board ( the last year or so) I do not think they are taking money out for themselves so we should have been better off financially this season

While I think we would have been a lot better off going with the younger players I suspect any money that that would have saved Green and his cronies would have found away to take it out. While I do not have a great deal of time for the present board ( the last year or so) I do not think they are taking money out for themselves so we should have been better off financially this season

This is very true unfortunately we have been accidents waiting to happen both on the park and off it for the last couple of years