Walter greatest ever imo

KingKirk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Style wasn't good but I will always be grateful to him for given me the chance to see Rangers in a European final, even if the result wasn't what we wanted. Manchester will live with me forever. Greatest ever manager imo.

A great,but greatest ever? Nah!

I'm a bit of aye and naw with Walter, there is no doubt he was a great man manager esp with Gazza, but I've got to be honest his style of play didn't always appeal to me, I prefer to watch The Rangers going at a team, Walter was quite happy to win a game 1/2-nil more so in his second spell, but it cannot be disputed he did bring a lot of success so it really is hard to be critical, especially in his second spell given the talent? he had at his disposal.

Of the managers I've seen in my lifetime, Scott Symon was old school, picked the team and that was about it not very tactical savvy [Roger Hynd] centre forward in a CWC final.

Davie White wasn't given a chance, but probably wasn't strong enough for the job.

One of my favorites and I'm surprised no one has mentioned him is the great Willie Waddel, a colossus who dragged us back from under the yolk of them, and made the dream of the Ibrox stadium that was the envy of many supposed bigger clubs, he was probably to old but I would have loved another couple of years under his guidance.

Jock Wallace what can you say that's not been said about his man management skills, maybe another who was not tacitly aware but his teams were so fit they just steamrollered the opposition esp. in the last 15 mins, gave us two trebles with fine attacking football just the way I like to see it done.

John Greig, my hero [despite my username] couldn't cut it as a manager, shades of Ally another of my hero's

Souness, woke a sleeping giant, stood up to the authorities, left for his beloved Liverpool, but I'll be forever grateful for what he done for The Rangers.

Of the rest, wee Dick gave us some lovely football, not his fault DM lost his head and gave him all that dough.

So looking back I'd go for Waddel, with big Jock in his first spell a close second, but only for the style of play, I just wish Walter had been more adventurous, then it would have been no contest.