BARCELONA 1972 - MANCHESTER 2008

mearns loyal

Was thinking about these iconic games and the starting line-ups. Would any of the 2008 team have got into the 1972 team. Personally I don't think so, though I would have Ferguson and Cuellar amongst the subs.

TEAMS:

McLoy Alexander

Jardine Broadfoot

Mathieson Weir

Greig Cuellar

Johnstone Papac

Smith Hemdani

McLean Thomson

Conn Davis

Stein Whittaker

MacDonald Ferguson

Johnston Darcheville

Subs: Neef Denny Fyfe Penman Parlane

Smith Dailly Adam Faye Novo Boyd McCulloch

Only ones I would say was maybe Barry for Doddie, and that's a big maybe, [i loved Doddie], and Papac for Willie Mathieson.

As for the argument about different era's and speed etc, I believe if the older players played and trained in this era then they would be just as fast as their counterparts, Bud and Colin Stein were no slouches.

Only ones I would say was maybe Barry for Doddie, and that's a big maybe, [i loved Doddie], and Papac for Willie Mathieson.

As for the argument about different era's and speed etc, I believe if the older players played and trained in this era then they would be just as fast as their counterparts, Bud and Colin Stein were no slouches.

i agree about fitness etc but regarding Doddie, I think if he was to have played against Fergie he would have had the upper hand. I know this is supposition but think of the players he nullified in Europe and it's pretty impressive...

Winning a football trophy (as we have seen recently) is all about a combination of ability, character, commitment, teamwork and man management.

On football ability, there is an argument that some of the 2008 squad may have made the 72 team.

On character,commitment, teamwork and man management, the 72 team would have no competition.

i agree about fitness etc but regarding Doddie, I think if he was to have played against Fergie he would have had the upper hand. I know this is supposition but think of the players he nullified in Europe and it's pretty impressive...

Know what you mean mate, Doddie was brilliant on that run to the final, but Barry just swings it for me only because I think he was the better passer of a ball than Doddie, but then again I think Doddie contributed with the more important goals in the big games, bloody hell I might be changing my mind again, this one is a toughy.

Winning a football trophy (as we have seen recently) is all about a combination of ability, character, commitment, teamwork and man management.

On football ability, there is an argument that some of the 2008 squad may have made the 72 team.

On character,commitment, teamwork and man management, the 72 team would have no competition.

Tannerall very well stated. Had the pleasure of being at both games and cannot think of one player who could have actually added anything to the '72 TEAM, for that is exactly what they were, a TEAM.

Players like Weir were good enough to have played in the 72 side but don't really see anyone who would have enhanced the team.

Talk about Doddie versus Ferguson is nonsense as Ferguson's 'sideways' and 'backwards' passing would not have been suited to the 72 team.

I saw both these teams and Papac would have replaced Willie Mathieson ( one foot willie never saw him use his right foot ) Cuellar would have replaced DJ at centre back , DJ I was far better forward ,and I know he did not play in final but McGregor would have replaced Mcloy not sure Alexander would have

I saw both these teams and Papac would have replaced Willie Mathieson ( one foot willie never saw him use his right foot ) Cuellar would have replaced DJ at centre back , DJ I was far better forward ,and I know he did not play in final but McGregor would have replaced Mcloy not sure Alexander would have

Have to disagree, DJ was outstanding at centre half, though better as a centre forward as you said.

No way Carlos would have ousted him from the team.

All about opinions though. :D