Baz wants to manage us eventually

A.T.G

Former captain Barry Ferguson says it is his "ultimate dream" to return to Rangers as manager.

The 35-year is currently caretaker player-boss at Blackpool.

"I did everything I wanted to in terms of playing for Rangers, captaining Rangers and picking up trophies," he told BBC Scotland.

"Of course, I need to learn my trade first, but I'd be lying if said it wasn't my ultimate dream to go back one day as manager."

Rangers will be in Scotland's second tier next season, having completed back-to-back promotions, and the club are unbeaten in League One.

Manager Ally McCoist has, however, come in for some criticism following a surprise Ramsdens Cup final loss to Raith Rovers and several less than convincing performances against part-time opposition.

All of this has played out against a backdrop of turmoil at board level, with fans currently threatening to withhold season ticket money over concerns about the financial management at the club.

"Ally has got a difficult job," said Ferguson. "The goal is to get through the divisions - he's done that the last two years.

"All right they had a difficult time against Raith Rovers but that happens in football, It was a bad day at the office.

"I know how difficult it must be for him. The club should be at the top challenging Celtic every season.

"I just hope that sooner rather than later they get it all sorted out because Scotland needs a Rangers at the top."

Ferguson stepped into his first managerial role following the sacking of Paul Ince in January and Blackpool sit 20th in the league, two points above relegation zone

"My only concern is keeping this club in the Championship, then we'll take it from there," he said. "It's a difficult task but it's not one I'll shy away from.

"I know there are people out there that want me to fall flat on my face and that makes me more determined.

"I grew up with that at Rangers. Half of the country loved you and the other half hated you."

Ferguson's career at Rangers ended under a cloud when he was stripped of the captaincy in April 2009, following misconduct while on Scotland duty.

He left for Birmingham at the end of the season and declined a later approach to add to his 45 international caps.

"I've made many mistakes in my career," he admits. "Probably the Scotland scenario tops it all.

"If I could turn back the clock on one thing, I'd have done that a lot different. But it happened and I suffered the consequences.

"People can say what they want but playing for your country and captaining your country meant a lot to me."

I wouldn't say no as long as he had a decent track record and had proven himself at a couple of clubs

As we are seeing now, being a legend doesn't mean you can manage the bears

Love Barry though

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If people read the article they'll see he refers to learning his trade first.

He could end up a fantastic young manager but he's being dismissed by the "he was a ned that got lucky" brigade.

I'd love to see him back providing he's good enough to do the job.

I think he's had a win with Blackpool and a few draws, but he's inherited a team on the way down. I'd have him after a few years in management in which he's done, if not spectacular things, been a very good, solid bloke. And man management should be one of the criteria to see him come here.

He was given the captaincy very young remember, as Advocaat thought he had leadership qualities.

Let's wait and see how he does, cause he's not ready now.

Understandable, every Rangers fan would love to manage their club, barry was lucky enough tp play and captain his club, its only natural that he'd fancy managing us now that he has taken up that side of the game.

He's got a helluva lot to learn yet so it's early days but I wish him well and in the future if he has proven he is good enough then I'd welcome him back.

Rangers managers position should be about the best calibre of manager we can get. Them being a "Rangers man" or an ex player shouldn't come into it.

If at some point down the line the vacancy arises, if Barry has proven himself to be a proven and successful manager, and the best available to us, then fine.