George Best

Maybe not the greatest footballer of all time (Messi Maradonna)but certainly the greatest Europe has ever produced

Neither Messi or Maradona had to deal with 'Chopper' Harris and ploughed fields for pitches. Pele good, Maradona better, George Best.

Plus none of the others would have been 'throwing rocks at Catholics' if they hadn't been a footballer. :)

On holiday in Isle of Man in 70s I met the mother-in-law of Eric McMordie, who went to Manchester with George Best at 15, they both got homesick and went home to Belfast.

George went back and the rest is history, Eric didn't but eventually made the grade at Middlesbrough and played many times for Northern Ireland.

Lovely woman, his mother-in-law was.

Met him in a pub in London in the mid 90s, asked for an autograph and he couldn't have been nicer. When he left he shouted over and waved, i felt fucking brilliant.

He drank in the same pub as my brother-in-law, the Phene Arms in Chelsea. Went in a couple of times when I was down, but never saw him.

And then you think of the money these no marks are making today, what would Best have been worth ?

I think for George's sake it was as well he was around before the truly big money. If he was on £250,000 a week, he'd be dead before the end of the first week. Mind you, it would be some exit: broken hookers and empty champagne bottles as far as the eye could see.

I'm old enough to remember the fat George at Hibs but too young to have seen the 60's version. I remember wondering what all the fuss was about until seeing him on video in the 90s and then it clicked. Brilliant player.