The One Thing That Is In Mccall's Favour

not the worst idea i am certain he has to start

Better idea would be to tell him he is not playing and would be better being "injured" for the rest of the games. No need to waste a sub, as good an idea as it was.

If it ain't in his contract punt him anyway as he is past it.

No I didn't see the game tonight but that view is based on past matches and it sounds like he isn't improving with his time off.

Certainly not strong enough to manage Rangers; recalling McCulloch shows weakness and lack of awareness, continuing to bring Boyd on and even picking him for the bench shows lack of future thinking as well as ignoring form.

He has had plenty of chances to make a point to the wasters who seem to run the team but has bottled out and no doubt will stick with experience for the play offs despite the numerous times this has let us down this season and continues to fail against teams at the bottom of the table.

I think if McCall wasn't in charge, we would be fighting to get in the play-off's never mind being a point clear in 2nd place.

He's making mistakes, far from perfect. But it's the dross at his disposal doing the damage, SM can only put them over the line, the rest is up to them

I think if McCall wasn't in charge, we would be fighting to get in the play-off's never mind being a point clear in 2nd place.

He's making mistakes, far from perfect. But it's the dross at his disposal doing the damage, SM can only put them over the line, the rest is up to them

You can't disagree with this Gaz

What's not in his favour . . .

Is going into the playoffs with 12 players out of contract with little or no chance of getting another deal.

I guess on this one , we'll have to rely on their integrity on giving everything they have .

And that's even before , we discuss their capabilities.

He doesn't have to pick them. The squad is huge. He keeps picking the same players who are letting him down.

I really think we can't judge McCall with these losers, they've had the wrong attitude driven into them for years now and wont see it as worth their while upping their performance for a manager who might not be here next season and no doubt they also see most of them not being there next season.

I feel sorry for McCall, and I don't think we can be too harsh on him this time round.

If he gets us promotion and is allowed to get in a few players and gets rid of all the shite i think he'll do ok. To be fair to him hes got us playing better than the chuckle brothers, possibly down to the players getting a lift from a new coach. Still not convinced hes the one to take us forward, but id much rather him in charge for the rest of the season than McCoist or Kenny. Time will tell i suppose but who has he got really that he can bring in to change us?

McCall took a Motherwell team that really wasn't that great on paper and got it punching well above its weight for a couple of years but as soon as things got tough the wheels fell off big style.

I'm also not sure that if it's a coincidence that in the two games he's managed where we werent considered the favourites we have pulled out our best performances before reverting to type when we are the favourites and the expectations are on us to go and win the game.

And then you have the Scotland. He's really well thought of in a management team who manage a football side who rarely go into games as favourites and are often referred to by every underdog cliche you can think of.

I think as a manager or coach he works better when he's battling from underneath, the proverbial "plucky underdog" if you will. It's still too soon to tell if he can do what all good manages can and adapt his ideas, mindset and approach but it's certainly been a mixed bag so far.

McCall took a Motherwell team that really wasn't that great on paper and got it punching well above its weight for a couple of years but as soon as things got tough the wheels fell off big style.

I'm also not sure that if it's a coincidence that in the two games he's managed where we werent considered the favourites we have pulled out our best performances before reverting to type when we are the favourites and the expectations are on us to go and win the game.

And then you have the Scotland. He's really well thought of in a management team who manage a football side who rarely go into games as favourites and are often referred to by every underdog cliche you can think of.

I think as a manager or coach he works better when he's battling from underneath, the proverbial "plucky underdog" if you will. It's still too soon to tell if he can do what all good manages can and adapt his ideas, mindset and approach but it's certainly been a mixed bag so far.

While I get what you're saying mate. It's surely hard to say that when he came 'best of the rest' thrice. McCall's Motherwell were continually underdogs against Rangers and I can't think if he ever beat us, we actually scubbed them by 4 goals, or more ,on numerous occasions. Whilst he got a couple of decent results against them.

My point being after the first Season, especially the second, you would imagine he wouldn't be an underdog against any of the non OF sides.

While I get what you're saying mate. It's surely hard to say that when he came 'best of the rest' thrice. McCall's Motherwell were continually underdogs against Rangers and I can't think if he ever beat us, we actually scubbed them by 4 goals, or more ,on numerous occasions. Whilst he got a couple of decent results against them.

My point being after the first Season, especially the second, you would imagine he wouldn't be an underdog against any of the non OF sides.

He did show amazing consistency to achieve what he did bit I still think there was a degree of them punching above their weight over that period simply because at the beginning of most seasons people assumed it would be more likely that a Dundee Utd, Aberdeen or a Hearts would be best of the best but he managed to achieve it three times. That record is impressive and shows that he is a pretty decent coach but you need to be more than decent to manage a club with expectations like ours and I'm sure McCall knows that better than anybody.

IIRC you were as keen for McCall to get the job as I wasz What are you thinking of McCall as a long term option based on what we've seen so far?

He did show amazing consistency to achieve what he did bit I still think there was a degree of them punching above their weight over that period simply because at the beginning of most seasons people assumed it would be more likely that a Dundee Utd, Aberdeen or a Hearts would be best of the best but he managed to achieve it three times. That record is impressive and shows that he is a pretty decent coach but you need to be more than decent to manage a club with expectations like ours and I'm sure McCall knows that better than anybody.

IIRC you were as keen for McCall to get the job as I wasz What are you thinking of McCall as a long term option based on what we've seen so far?

I think he's a good coach and I like him. But, I don't think he's our long term option. I always like the point you made a couple of months ago regarding Aberdeen and how Craig Brown acted as their stop gap Manager.

I see McCall in that sort of a role. However with so many contracts being up, and preferably wanting to give the new Manager a chance to bring in his own players, its tough.

There's part of me which thinks McCall is too known in our squad to go in and drop McCulloch and make an example of him or Boyd. Which annoys me. I just want partiality when picking our team and I thought we were going to see that with McCall, but we haven't.

How about you, mate?

I think he's a good coach and I like him. But, I don't think he's our long term option. I always like the point you made a couple of months ago regarding Aberdeen and how Craig Brown acted as their stop gap Manager.

I see McCall in that sort of a role. However with so many contracts being up, and preferably wanting to give the new Manager a chance to bring in his own players, its tough.

There's part of me which thinks McCall is too known in our squad to go in and drop McCulloch and make an example of him or Boyd. Which annoys me. I just want partiality when picking our team and I thought we were going to see that with McCall, but we haven't.

How about you, mate?

I'm in two minds about it tbh.

I think he's getting praise for doing things that should be basic to any manager but haven't been at our club because McCoist was so bad and we seem to still have the inconsistency that we've had for years too.

On the one hand we have a load of players out of contact in the Summer and are technically managerless. It's probably as good a chance as we will have in terms of having a fairly blank canvas to make the sweeping changes I think we need to make.

However at the same time making those changes is going to take investment from the board and patience from the fans and I'm not sure we are going to get either of those things, especially if we get promoted, so keeping McCall in the dugout maybe wouldn't be a bad move. We won't be spectacular but he's shown he's capable of building a cheap, hard working team that can punch above it's weight in Scotland and maybe we need a season or two of consolidation like that before we look to really push on.

It's a really tough decision and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make it :lol:

I'm in two minds about it tbh.

I think he's getting praise for doing things that should be basic to any manager but haven't been at our club because McCoist was so bad and we seem to still have the inconsistency that we've had for years too.

On the one hand we have a load of players out of contact in the Summer and are technically managerless. It's probably as good a chance as we will have in terms of having a fairly blank canvas to make the sweeping changes I think we need to make.

However at the same time making those changes is going to take investment from the board and patience from the fans and I'm not sure we are going to get either of those things, especially if we get promoted, so keeping McCall in the dugout maybe wouldn't be a bad move. We won't be spectacular but he's shown he's capable of building a cheap, hard working team that can punch above it's weight in Scotland and maybe we need a season or two of consolidation like that before we look to really push on.

It's a really tough decision and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make it :lol:

Indeed. A massive decision for Rangers and one I hope we don't make a mess of.

I know I'm deviating from the Manager situation, but I really think we need some clarification on terms of investment for the two situations we might find ourselves in next Season. It would definitely ease the tension in some sections of the support.