Barry Ferguson - Uefa Cup Run & Sporting Integrity..

Gaz52

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were absolute cunts.

Regarding the match, Zenit were the best team we had faced, inviting them onto us after they had destroyed Bayern Munich was silly.

Yea the match could have ended up a drubbing but we wouldn't have been sitting here regretting not having a real go.

No but if we had a real go and got hammered we would be sitting here regretting why we chose to have a real go against a team superior to is instead of doing what we done the rest of the run against superior teams and knocking them all out.

Doubt we would have, Zenit were far too good for us and that Arshavin cunt was unstoppable back then.

We might have stood a chance had we not set up to defend for our lives from the first whistle.

Or got the penalty we should have when their guy virtually caught the ball - would have given us something to hang on to, at least.

No but if we had a real go and got hammered we would be sitting here regretting why we chose to have a real go against a team superior to is instead of doing what we done the rest of the run against superior teams and knocking them all out.

All ifs, buts and maybes, mate.

I can hold my hands up when we've been beaten by the better team but it's hard to take when you feel we could have gotten a bit more if we had been more positive.

Zenit were much better than the sides we had perfected those tactics against, even I didn't believe we could hold out through extra time and penalties against them so would have been good to surprise them and go at them(not gung ho obviously).

I can understand why Walter set up like that but I disagree with it for the reason above and also it was a one off game, not trying to sneak an away goal etc.

In my younger days, Rangers were not scared of any team. We always had a go to win the game, as that what football was all about. In my opinion money has ruined the game which is sad.

Surely the point is about "sporting integrity" not whether we would have beaten Zenit or not ? What he is saying is we were given no help from our own Football Association. In fact it would appear to a neutral that they didn't want us to win anything,and as someone has already said the fabled tour of Japan was proof if needed that the dark side had a hand in it.

Surely the point is about "sporting integrity" not whether we would have beaten Zenit or not ? What he is saying is we were given no help from our own Football Association. In fact it would appear to a neutral that they didn't want us to win anything,and as someone has already said the fabled tour of Japan was proof if needed that the dark side had a hand in it.

Yeah but that points been covered many times and we all know he's right.

If league had of been so worried about 'sporting integrity' back in 2008 then Rangers might have given Scotland a European trophy

Those words never appear in any quotes within the article, so that shocking piece of grammar is, we can only assume, the Rhecord's own words in a title.

These are professional journalists, who appear to be borderline illiterate.

It clearly should have been "had've been" which is a slightly more elegant contraction of "had have been".

But "had of" is just plain wrong.

Those words never appear in any quotes within the article, so that shocking piece of grammar is, we can only assume, the Rhecord's own words in a title.

These are professional journalists, who appear to be borderline illiterate.

It clearly should have been "had've been" which is a slightly more elegant contraction of "had have been".

But "had of" is just plain wrong.

Quite - seen better writing in fanzines & on here.

Zenit were given a Month not a week to prepare courtesy of their FA.

If there was any spine in the boardroom a High Court Writ would be served on the SFA/SPL the moment they ever tried to extend any season since refusing our request

The SPL argued extending the league campaign was sufficient help, which they extended by 4 days, clearly it cost us one trophy, don't think we would have beaten zenith anyway and Cousin was an arsehole for getting sent off v fiorentina.

The Tims even complained about the 4 day extension.

Doubt we would have, Zenit were far too good for us and that Arshavin cunt was unstoppable back then.

We might have stood a chance had we not set up to defend for our lives from the first whistle.

GF you are right but having watched the game and knowing their top striker was out of the game,I still believe our cautious attitude cost us that night .Cousins Red in semi was pivotal in shaping Walts negative set up for the final .Hindsight is easy thing to criticise but I will never get over, how negative we played on the evening .Yes Zenit were decent but I still believe having watched the game a few times since ,they were there for the taking .Still gutting thinking about it .

The SPL argued extending the league campaign was sufficient help, which they extended by 4 days, clearly it cost us one trophy, don't think we would have beaten zenith anyway and Cousin was an arsehole for getting sent off v fiorentina.

The Tims even complained about the 4 day extension.

7 years ago I truly believe that's when I was convinced the SPL as they were back then had been infiltrated by the scum lovers ,maybe not at the Sfa back then but the SPL were decision makers then .Since then the seats have been arranged and it's now all one convenient ,compliant beggar loving scum organisation .Yes we will not feel the brunt of that for a while as we are creating our own problems in our own history at this moment .However when we do get back to our rightful place ,the football political landscape will be worse than we will ever have known .I do believe the whole shebang is and will be carved up to make life very very difficult for Rangers FC to operate in a level playing field .We all know who is running the whole cabal nowadays sadly

Walter set up not to lose the game instead of trying to win the game.

Is this really the first thing you think of? We would have taken an absolute pumping if we went toe to toe with Zenit. Their players were miles ahead of ours.

Like it has been said, that formula worked in Europe and maybe, just maybe if we had extra time to prepare and rest for that game we might have had a chance.

I'll never forget that year, for more ways than one, but the fact our own Footballing Association would rather harm our chances of winning a European Cup, than helping them. Will always be remembered.

They were absolute cunts.

Regarding the match, Zenit were the best team we had faced, inviting them onto us after they had destroyed Bayern Munich was silly.

Yea the match could have ended up a drubbing but we wouldn't have been sitting here regretting not having a real go.

I think the only thing I'd have changed was maybe starting Novo out wide. He was superb against Dundee United and scored an absolute screamer.

But I think that game was all about fine margins, Alexander only had to make 5 saves, which isn't a lot when you think about Bremen and Fiorentina away. I don't like talking about it, but had Novo scored late on who knows what could have happened.