What a learning experience Ally has had.

Supporters tactical analysis on management with the benefit of hindsight and - all too often - a copy of FM.

:lol:

Cracks me up!

You must be one of the only Bears who has never discussed the pros and cons of a manager, and where he could improve.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will all these people saying give him next season still be saying that if we have a poor start to the season and are toiling by November/December again?

Fresh slate with no back issues, then by November we would have an idea of how he is going at that point, no point guessing how I'd feel until then but I think the fact we will likely ffinish second by a fair amount of points speaks volumes about him imo.

Can't wait to see more long ball football next season with 6 defenders and players out of position while getting played off the park by the likes of St Mirren and Kilmarnock. :drool:

This.

I believe if Ally had tested himself elsewhere first and worked his way up he may have the experience needed.

He is the right man in terms of class, he makes that prick lennon seem even more of the rhat he is and I am proud to say he his our manager.

But unfortunately that doesn't change the fact I don't think he is cut out to be the rangers manager right now, tactically we have been a laughing stock all season and the long ball pish we played earlier was atrocious to watch

...in your opinion and that's fine.

I happen to strongly disagree and feel that a season such as this one is no basis whatsoever upon which to reach such a certain and negative assessment.

To justify your assessment, in my view, he'd have to be sitting at around 4th in the table with no financial issues and a fully equipped squad.

For me the financial issues and the associated under-resourcing of the front line and downer for the squad are unquestionable factors which allow for significant mitigation. Your view seems far too simplistic, based on a flawed assumption that another, superior, manager would almost certainly have achieved significantly more with the same issues. I'm not convinced that's anything like a given. It also assumes that there is a more suitable choice who would have taken the job under these same circumstances, that we could have afforded him and that they would accept.

It could be argued however that our complete failure in Europe led to our financial issues this season.

You must be one of the only Bears who has never discussed the pros and cons of a manager, and where he could improve.

I often discuss managers - but I avoid contributing my own lack of expertise to the pool of pish those hindsight managers in the stands feel compelled to add to. Specifically in reference to tactics.

You don't question the (lack of) expertise behind the constant flow of 4 2 3 1 vs 4 2 4 meanderings of those who should know better?

For example - is there not a fanny in this very thread belittling McCoist for playing 3 5 2 - a formation that saw The Rangers hand out a chasing to Lonenn's Celtci?

It could be argued however that our complete failure in Europe led to our financial issues this season.

But not reasonably. The owner is the man charged with budgeting for the season ahead - only a fool would take a punt on any SPL progressing beyond the opening rounds.

And that's all it would be - a punt.

Yes it did, try the last old firm mate!

"Hi Ally, thanks for staying with us throughout all of this, you truly are what Rangers is about. However, even though you were here during one of the hardest seasons ever as a Ranger, you didn't win the league and made some mistakes. Yes, you gave had the measure of Celtic so far but it doesnt matter. Yes there were some glimpses of how you can get this team to play but no, sorry, we are too impatient to see how you have improved for next season. Sorry Ally but can you clean out your desk please."

Absolutely ludicrous imo that anyone wants Ally gone. He WILL have learnt a hell of a lot from this season, and he WILL win us the league the next one.

Afford the man some patience. If he was that dire a manager we would not be sitting second.

If people think that second is still not good enough after everything this season, then maybe they need to stop and think again. Walter Smith managing to achieve 3IAR is nothing short of miraculous.

And also, where did Walter cut his management teeth? Look how well that worked out for us.

The last OF match is hardly a good litmus test for proper assessment as we had numerical advantage for most of the game.

It won't matter what any of us think at this time about Ally. It is an odds-on certainty he will be in charge next season.

The point of this thread is to discuss, without being clouded by sentiment, the managerial ability of Ally. No-one is disputing his status as a legend nor is anyone questioning his loyalty and dignity. The point that some people are making is that his football management has been questionable. Every Rangers fan would love to see Ally succeed but you have to look at the subject on a purely impartial basis. Consider our pre-administration displays, would you accept that from any other manager? We would all love Ally to succeed but the Club comes first and we have to be realistic in our assessment. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be for some people, including legends. This may be one of these occasions.

I often discuss managers - but I avoid contributing my own lack of expertise to the pool of pish those hindsight managers in the stands feel compelled to add to. Specifically in reference to tactics.

You don't question the (lack of) expertise behind the constant flow of 4 2 3 1 vs 4 2 4 meanderings of those who should know better?

For example - is there not a fanny in this very thread belittling McCoist for playing 3 5 2 - a formation that saw The Rangers hand out a chasing to Lonenn's Celtci?

Why do you (and others it has to be said) resort to insulting other Rangers fans on this forum? Calling someone "a fanny" just because they dare to question the manager's ability. Debate is about giving reasoned comment on your own opinions. There is absolutely no cause to resort to cheap insults. There appear to be a fair number of people who think that 3 5 2 doesn't work. Simply because people disagree with your opinion does not mean they are talking "pish". Why can't you just agree to disagree without issuing petty insults?

Can't wait to see more long ball football next season with 6 defenders and players out of position while getting played off the park by the likes of St Mirren and Kilmarnock. :drool:

so when we played 6 defenders and some out of position and were 3-0 up on celtic were you moaning then? Christ sakes get a grip in a season like this we need experience, the more experienced players are in the defence category at the mo. What opened my eyes up this season was dundee utd at home when we lost 2-0, man for man i was looking at the teams and i would've taken alot of theirs over ours in the squad. People need to open their eyes and realise we arn't head and shoulders above everyone else by miles. you think mourinho would of done a better job with the group of players?

Debate is about giving reasoned comment on your own opinions.

If you want to bow to demands that everyday language has no place in reasoned debate then that's your loss. Not mine.

And, frankly, if the language of football forums troubles you so, why be here at all? It's unlikely to change because your demands for linguistic niceties aren't met.

Thankfully.

If you want to bow to demands that everyday language has no place in reasoned debate then that's your loss. Not mine.

And, frankly, if the language of football forums troubles you so, why be here at all? It's unlikely to change because your demands for linguistic niceties aren't met.

Thankfully.

So you actually enjoy insulting fellow fans???

so when we played 6 defenders and some out of position and were 3-0 up on celtic were you moaning then?

Im talking about in 30+ games, not one game which we had numerical advantage most of the game.

Pre-admin we were awful to watch, tactically naive and about to win nothing having been knocked out of 4 cups and 4 points behind and getting worse. All this with a team full of international players up against teams with significant less resources than we have. That is not good enough for Rangers football club ...

So you actually enjoy insulting fellow fans???

Where did I say that? I'm sure I said that common language should be perfectly acceptable in debate. And that I'm grateful we can use it.

I should have added that I do enjoy it's variety, precise accuracy and the rich seam of creative opportunities for articulation it provides. Particularly to those who value neologisms (if not exclusively) in the context of free expression.

Love Ally and want to see him do well, I think he does deserve another crack at it. This season, so much shite has been going on behind the scenes, players leaving and what not. Don't get me wrong I think Ally has definitely exhibited his inexperience at times, by playing players out of position. But I think he deserves another season. People who are slating him, fuck me, who is going to take the job if Ally goes?? It's hardly the most appealing job at the moment is it.

Where did I say that? I'm sure I said that common language should be perfectly acceptable in debate. And that I'm grateful we can use it.

I should have added that I do enjoy it's variety, precise accuracy and the rich seam of creative opportunities for articulation it provides. Particularly to those who value neologisms (if not exclusively) in the context of free expression.

For someone who would appear to have a reasonable command of English I find it disappointing that you still felt the need to be insulting towards one of our fellow Rangers fans by calling him/her "a fanny" simply because their opinion did not match yours. By all means use whatever slang words you wish but why resort to insult? It simply mystifies me why some of those posting suddenly decide to publicly offend complete strangers. I will leave it at that.

For someone who would appear to have a reasonable command of English I find it disappointing that you still felt the need to be insulting towards one of our fellow Rangers fans by calling him/her "a fanny" simply because their opinion did not match yours. By all means use whatever slang words you wish but why resort to insult? It simply mystifies me why some of those posting suddenly decide to publicly offend complete strangers. I will leave it at that.

Here's the post that inspired the fanny comment.

I think the stupid 3-5-2 celtic lite formation has came from Kenny McDowall not mccoist

On reflection, perhaps I should have said fucking fanny. I stand by my comment.

PS - you will have your hands full if you genuinely object to the use of such language on this forum. Frankly, I don't believe you at all given this is the first time I've noticed any such 'I'm offended' comment posted by you.

with regards to mccoist he still has a lot to do to prove his worth as a manager, and luckily for him probably this administration means we will have a couple of years of being unable to compete properly for him to hone his skills

but with regards to this season mccoists hits have been massively outvoted by his misses, people rightly point out that we were short up front, yet mccoist it would seem signed guys like mckay, bedoya, ortiz, cellik when we had more than enough midfielders

the resigning of healy and dare i say it weir was another waste of wages that we could have put towards even a freebie striker

then we have his tactical immaturity, played off the park by hearts on the opening day of the season with mcculloch and edu at CM, he then plays the exact same midfield at home to malmo and we get turned over again

mistakes have been made time and time again this season with no sign of a plan B or signs that he is learning from the mistakes

mccoist has a lot to learn as a manager, the problem is rangers are not a teaching club for managers

Here's the post that inspired the fanny comment.

On reflection, perhaps I should have said fucking fanny. I stand by my comment.

PS - you will have your hands full if you genuinely object to the use of such language on this forum. Frankly, I don't believe you at all given this is the first time I've noticed any such 'I'm offended' comment posted by you.

What part do you disgree with?

The reason I called it 'celtic lite' is because it has been the main formation used at that club from the youth to the main squad, McDowell has worked at celtic for most his professional life as a coach so it is obvious he picked it up there. The system was build around 3 cb's with wing backs that can bomb foward and also serve as the teams main wide attack. We've haven't bought wing backs like that and have never played with that sort of formation so I don't see the point in doing it now, we have always looked miles better when we actually play to our strengths and the strengths of the players we posses, there is no need to play a formation like that when we have had over the past two years players like naismith,wylde,aluko and weiss