Ally McCoist in cup pledge to Rangers fans

Bothwellbear

Ally McCoist in cup pledge to Rangers fans

ALLY McCoist has vowed to give down-in-the-dumps Rangers fans a reason to cheer with a League Cup win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle tonight.

MatthewLindsay.jpg

Matthew Lindsay Sports Journalist

Tuesday 16/09/2014

0 Comments

Print

25343021.jpg

Ally McCoist would love to win a cup tournament as a thank you to the Rangers supporters

But the Gers boss has stressed his players will not worry about boosting the stricken Ibrox club's finances by beating the SPFL Premiership outfit and going on a cup run.

McCoist said: "I have maintained all along that getting back to the top flight is 100 per cent the priority for us but we all want a good cup run. We got one in the Scottish Cup last season and got to the semi-final.

"We ended up really devastated that we didn't make the final.

"A cup final gives everybody a great day out. It is something that, prior to administration and liquidation, our fans didn't expect but certainly hoped for.

"It would be great to get back to that."

He added: "Looking at the fan base, I sense morale with their football club is quite low at this moment with a lot of them.

"So we know we've got an added importance in the job we do to at least give them something to smile about and be happy about on the park.

"I definitely think the boys have achieved that in recent weeks, but we'll certainly be put to the test against Inverness tonight and hopefully we can continue that."

Despite raising over £3million at a share offering last week, Rangers still need to attract fresh investment in order to make it to the end of the season.

A cup run would bring in much-needed revenue - but McCoist has urged his players to concentrate fully on matters on the park.

He added: "Any money that comes in will be gratefully received. Although it is extremely important, I think we've got enough to worry about in terms of winning games and cup ties than boosting the coffers.

"We've got enough on our plate organising for Inverness and how we can possibly beat them than worrying about how the game will affect us financially."

Meanwhile, McCoist has revealed the calf injury sustained by Rangers striker Kenny Miller is not as bad as was first feared.

And he is hopeful that the former Scotland internationalist, who is out of the Inverness game, will be available for selection soon.

He said: "Kenny had a scan on a bad injury on his calf and, thankfully, we got a good result.

"It's a first-degree tear which is better than we first thought. So he'll be back sooner rather than later. He's walking freely, which is good news.

"Richard Foster is back and fine. Elsewhere, Cammy Bell is out training and diving about, but the game tonight definitely will come too soon for him."

Get Rangers News Alerts by Email

"Elsewhere, Cammy Bell is training and diving about, but the game tonight definitely will come too soon for him"

That reads like the journalist has accidentally put it in as a quote and he hasn't said it at all. Who breaks into a sentence randomly with "elsewhere"? :lol:

Elsewhere, I am Batman

No i am Batman you liar

Ally don't talk anymore to the media (contractual obligations outwith) i am sick of reading your stories in the papers everyday if you spent as much time training the players as speaking to jhournos we would be in a great position on the park.

Shut up and focus on the team and we do expect to win everything not just in hope that we will win a cup

hmmm, not sure what to think of tonight. ICT will be a hard defence to break down, their a physical side and a high ball tactic will fail. really hope Temps starts tonight to give us a bit creativity on the wing and hope to f*ck that Black is dropped as we can't have any passengers in the game tonight.

i'm thinking a draw but hope we can nick a winner in 90.

Kiss of death ally, do the talking on the park please.

There's the doom brigade right on que.

Ally can't win people moan when he's too respectful to other teams (myself included) and then the people who moan when he's actually positive about winning.

Och well we're all entitled to our opinions and mine is that we will win tonight.

C'mon the Gers :uk:

There's the doom brigade right on que.

Ally can't win people moan when he's too respectful to other teams (myself included) and then the people who moan when he's actually positive about winning.

Och well we're all entitled to our opinions and mine is that we will win tonight.

C'mon the Gers :uk:

not at all mate I'm an ally supporter only a couple of times this season I have been frustrated with his selections, looking forward to going the night :)

ICT are a decent team and Allys record against decent teams is awful.

I suspect we'll fall on our arse again and it'll be blamed on off the field issues, again. That'll be despite Ally saying the players werent affected...again.

I hope I'm wrong, but its a big test for Ally.

Is it just me or is Ally looking worse by the day? Looks as if he's hanging out his arse.

That's the first thing I noticed. I can't believe how much he's aged in 4 years.

Looks worse than Tony Blair looked after 10 year as PM.

Really worried for him, even if he does actually appear to be talking some sense for once.

If he didn't say what he did in that article, it would be all the "he gives teams too much respect" pish I read on here constantly. Our fans need to take a good hard look at themselves.