10 Biggest Unsung Heroes For Rangers

Unsung- someone who makes a substantive yet unrecognised contribution

Some of the names mentioned aren't unsung ffs, might as well say Greig, Laudrup and Goram.

Hemdani, Cleland and Beattie, na he was just shite.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before reading the article, I will go for.

Jim Bett

Bobby Russell

Jimmy Nicholl

Stuart Munro

Sadie McPherson

Peter Huistra

Alan McLaren

Gordan Petric

Brahim Hemdani

And... Lee McCulloch.

My personal choice of someone who I reckoned was under-appreciated would be Ted McMinn.

Some good picks in there , particularly Bett , Russell and a special mention to Alan McLaren who I'm sure would have been both Rangers and Scotland captain had injury not cut his career short. A cruel blow.

I'd have added Tugay who I think was both underused and underrated at his time with us.

Going back a bit as I,m an auld bear, a few I would like to nominate are Davie Provan( arguably one of the nicest guys you could hope to talk to), Billy Ritchie( a very good goalie), and big Tam Forsyth( remember his goal from 3"), or was it that far out. There are hundreds of ex players who could be considered unsung heroes; I would say there are few who are not this at least. Until the events of 2012, 99.99% of Gers players knew what it was all about and were all heroes in their own way. WATP

Who often forget David Robertson? If it wasn't for Numan, he'd easily be the best left back in my nearly 28 years on this planet.[/quote

Was a great left back , if he had a better delivery into the box more often would have been top class.

what about big marv. not much pace but he had us all believing in 2005!!!

Mate, Big Marv is a hero on here...and with the support in general. You're right...he believed so much he literally dragged that squad to the finish line that season. Definitely a hero, but not unsung! (tu)

Good selection Big M .Especially Peter huistra .Very underestimated player for us .Think he replaced Walters and that was difficult for him as it was hard act to follow .Never forget the 1992 s final with 10 men where he ran his socks off .Quality player but never really appreciated .As was McLaren .Career short lived due to injury but he gave our club very good service while here .Mcminn was perhaps a hero at a very difficult time to be a Rangers fan .On many occasions he was unpredictable .It's probably what we all loved about him .Scored a cracker at Pittodrie in 85/86 and gave beggars runaround few times esp 3-0 win in 85 .Loved him cause he was entertainment .

Entertainment. Absolutely mate. That was big Ted's middle name.

Huistra has definitely become unsung amongst the support. Perhaps our memory of him has become somewhat dimmed because of all the household-name Netherlands internationalists who arrived after him.

He was often the only foreign player in the European squads (outwith the luxury guys like Mikhailichenko who didn't put as much effort in) and our first-ever Flying Dutchman.

He gave us his best years; arrived at 23 years old, played 125 times in five years, scored 22 goals. Five League Titles, two League Cups and a Scottish Cup. Not too shabby.

My all time hero, and for me always underrated if not under appreciated , the man who had me copying his passing and creative magnificence when I was a boy , and I still love him to this day, wish I'd met him to tell him what he meant to this bear, the one and only Bobby Russell.what a fuckin player man.

No Surrender

Rab

Some good picks in there , particularly Bett , Russell and a special mention to Alan McLaren who I'm sure would have been both Rangers and Scotland captain had injury not cut his career short. A cruel blow.

Cruel indeed, mate. Captained us in the last game of his career in 1995.

The thing that hammers home just how early he had to retire is when you think that Davie Weir is actually older than Alan McLaren.