Liam Burt

ShaneRalfRoss

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he turns out to be as half as good as DJ, he'll do alright.

Trying to think of other notable players who got their first debut debut with us at such a young age. Willie Henderson and Iain MacDonald come to mind but think they were 17. Durrant and Ferguson were also quite young but think they were a bit older.

Think Durrant and D.Ferguson were 18 when they made their breakthrough. As was Derek Parlane when he scored in the ECWC semi v Bayern Munich back in 72. In fact I think DJ was 18 when he played in the final a month later , while Parlane was on the bench.

I think Willie Johnston was 17 when he made his debut for Rangers and , I think , 18 when he played for Scotland the season after.

Barry Ferguson was quite young as well. Was it not him that played a friendly / testimonial when he was 15 or so ?

We've had quite a few legends that have made the breakthrough at a young age .

Think Durrant and D.Ferguson were 18 when they made their breakthrough. As was Derek Parlane when he scored in the ECWC semi v Bayern Munich back in 72. In fact I think DJ was 18 when he played in the final a month later , while Parlane was on the bench.

I think Willie Johnston was 17 when he made his debut for Rangers and , I think , 18 when he played for Scotland the season after.

Barry Ferguson was quite young as well. Was it not him that played a friendly / testimonial when he was 15 or so ?

Good shout with Willie Johnston. Remember hearing an interview with him where he said he was only 20 when he played in the 67 ECWC final. Sure he made his debut at least couple of years before that.

Sandy Jardine was breaking into our first team at the same time and he could only have been around 18-19years old. When you think Henderson, Johnston and Jardine were all in the 67 ECWC final team, we certainly believed in giving our youngsters a chance in those days.

Good shout with Willie Johnston. Remember hearing an interview with him where he said he was only 20 when he played in the 67 ECWC final. Sure he made his debut at least couple of years before that.

Sandy Jardine was breaking into our first team at the same time and he could only have been around 18-19years old. When you think Henderson, Johnston and Jardine were all in the 67 ECWC final team, we certainly believed in giving our youngsters a chance in those days.

Yep - a lot to be said about the ' gallusness ' of youth when used sensibly. Good to have a manager willing to take that gamble (tu)

It was Derek Ferguson, he played in Tam Forsyth's testimonial against Swansea at 15.

Wee Wullie Henderson arguably our best ever right winger, though many would give the title to Alec Scott, debuted for Rangers in 1960 aged just 16.

Turned out t be a tidy wee player as well

Henderson was an absolute bobby dazzler of a player who like Johnstone of Celtic , were spoken of high regard from the best players and managers in Europe

The 2 best right wingers that Scotland has produced