Warburton: The Only Danger Facing Rangers

MRF-LCC-RFC

Warburton arrived as manager over the summer, and despite starting his Ibrox career in excellent style, he has told the Evening Times that there is still a danger that faces Rangers.

Warburton said: “The fans have been great but that’s a danger for us, they might revert to type and encourage us to hit it long. So we need to be wary off the fans losing patience and if they do that puts a lot of pressure on the young players.”

Rangers have won every Championship game so far this season, sitting pretty at the top of the league, and only losing one game in all competitions - against Premiership opposition.

However, now that performances have been so impressive, there is the sense that they will have to retain those levels so as not to disappoint the fans.

If the Gers are to start a game and go a goal behind early on, the Ibrox crowd could struggle to get behind their players, and these nerves could transfer over to the playing squad, creating even worse form.

Success breeds expectation, and these expectations may be too hard to live up to, finally ending with a potential collapse by a playing squad which is exceptionally young and filled with players with little first-team experience.

Warburton wants to see the Rangers fans continue to back their squad regardless of the situation, and if they continue to show the kind of support they have in the opening weeks of this campaign, the Gers are sure to continue playing the exceptional football that they have been.

We should definitely keep those wise words from the gaffer in mind and support the team no matter what faces us

I have to be honest and say in the match against S J with 15 mins to go the last think I was thinking was, keep shuffling the ball along the back, down the wings and back through the middle looking for openings. I was getting worse when big Nathan kept going with the stepovers and trickery. Found myself screaming just get it into the box. I totally understand where the boss in coming from but my patience shall take a wee bit longer to change. I am right into what he is doing and loving it but for me the utopia would be a combination of Smiths practicalities and Mark Warburtons flair and style.

More than happy to see the team play and the biggest challenge now is how to break down teams with 11 men behind the ball. Punting it long or aimlessly in the box when there is nobody there is going to do nothing to improve matters if we are behind.

When do we never support them?

You got a link for that?

Would just like to see exactly what he said and what the journalist has written.

When we were down against St Johnstone I heard the crowd stir immediately and get behind the team.

I have issue with this

If the Gers are to start a game and go a goal behind early on, the Ibrox crowd could struggle to get behind their players, and these nerves could transfer over to the playing squad, creating even worse form.

He's absolutely right to be fair, it's so refreshing to see a philosophy being put into place, the fans patience will be tested though especially next year.

As good as 9IAR was the philosophy was...give it to Gazza or Laudrup

Considering Laudrup only played for us for 4 years and Gazza even less, I find that a bit harsh on the other player's that helped to create that achievement. I am not talking about parking the bus or hoofing it at every possible moment, I meant that a wee bit of a direct approach when trailing by 2 with 10 mins to go would have been my option.

He's absolutely right to be fair, it's so refreshing to see a philosophy being put into place, the fans patience will be tested though especially next year.

Is that so different in a sense to give it to Oduwa or Zelalem, not that you can compare them to Gazza or Laudrup.

Mr Warburton would thrown in a "with deepest respect to the fans".

File this under shite. The crowd at games are 100% behind the team,manager and style of football. If we go a goal behind in a game we will roar them on.

Some may shout to punt it long but they are fucking idiots.

You got a link for that?

Would just like to see exactly what he said and what the journalist has written.

When we were down against St Johnstone I heard the crowd stir immediately and get behind the team.

I have issue with this

I think what he is saying is, " Look " there will come a time when we go behind against a team in this league @ Ibrox , and we will need the support to get behind us.

There's more than one way of winning or losing a match.

Pretty passing is all good and well and some of our football this year has been excellent and it is great to have a manager who is a football purist.

However there has to be an end product and the best teams all go back to front at times if they are struggling.

There is also a big difference between long balls and long passes played forward at pace.

Against St Johnstone we had a lot of possession but if we are being honest their game plan worked and we never looked like winning the match. That wasva big test for us and we failed it whatever way you look at it.

You got a link for that?

I have issue with this

Aye, that bit bothered me anawl

In other words he wants us to be patient.

Mark, no problem. We had 4 years of utter shite under Ally McCoin and there's even still a section of the fan base that thinks/thought he can do no wrong.

I don't mind being patient aslong as I see a game plan in action and the players trying their best. It's not a lot to ask, but the poster above me makes a good point with his comment too.

Sometimes lumping the ball up the park is the only option left, I still think it's an option Mr Warburton should have.

But he's right, the last thing we need is the fans getting on the players backs, Mr Warburton will live or die by his decisions, that's what he's paid for.

Yeah I get what the Gaffer is saying, but I think it's more so directed at part time fans who crop up every now and again (namely at games like St Johnstone or the last auld firm). and it's the part timers that give the team the most shit.

A comment I saw on facebook right after the St johnstone game was "Warbuton is tactically naive and isn't fit to be the manager." Never seen the guy post anything else about rangers, go to games or anything. So I think it's more so those kinda "fans" that Warbuton is talking about.

Take it you skipped everything until Laudrup signed. Worst post I've read on here.

Warburton arrived as manager over the summer, and despite starting his Ibrox career in excellent style, he has told the Evening Times that there is still a danger that faces Rangers.

Warburton said: The fans have been great but thats a danger for us, they might revert to type and encourage us to hit it long. So we need to be wary off the fans losing patience and if they do that puts a lot of pressure on the young players.

Rangers have won every Championship game so far this season, sitting pretty at the top of the league, and only losing one game in all competitions - against Premiership opposition.

However, now that performances have been so impressive, there is the sense that they will have to retain those levels so as not to disappoint the fans.

Success breeds expectation, and these expectations may be too hard to live up to, finally ending with a potential collapse by a playing squad which is exceptionally young and filled with players with little first-team experience.

Warburton wants to see the Rangers fans continue to back their squad regardless of the situation, and if they continue to show the kind of support they have in the opening weeks of this campaign, the Gers are sure to continue playing the exceptional football that they have been.

We should definitely keep those wise words from the gaffer in mind and support the team no matter what faces us

I don't see a problem in building up play from defence through to attack , but when you are a goal behind and time is running out theres git to be urgency shown .

If that means a long ball that's fine its the law if averages get enough balls in the box and you will as score

Given that we scored our 3rd at easter road from a 50 yard long ball its quite funny seeing him say this

Besides, its not just tippy tappy passing or hoof it, we can play the ball on the deck and still be more direct, instead of taking 27 touches abd half a minute to get it out wide to a free player, do it in 9 touches and ten seconds

You smoking crack?

Hateley, McCoist, Goram, Albertz, McCall, Ferguson, Gough all contributed more to 9iar than Gazza or Laudrup, if memory serves me correct they didn't even arrive till we had 6 or 7 titles in the bag.

I get what he is saying. I think there is a time for long ball too, and the very best teams probably know when that is.

Its like we should play pressing football on the ground 90% of the time but have the intelligence to know when to hit teams with a ball over the top. Don't want to complain as I'm loving our football now but sometimes there is nothing more frustrating than watching a team trying to walk the ball in when it clearly isn't working against a particular opposition who has parked the bus. We will come up against that more and more and will have to mix things up intelligently going forward.