New Financial Rewards For Cl/europa Cup.

Siam69

Yes, i know this piece is about the taigs and what they could've won, but it also applies to us, when we are back in Europe, hence me posting in the Bears Den. Admin can move it if they want, plus it gives a little chuckle -

How much has Champions League exit cost Celtic? _59918438_al1.jpgBy Alasdair Lamont BBC Scotland

Celtic's 4-3 aggregate loss to Malmo in the Champions League play-off round is a blow to their ambitions this season.

They will now play in the group stage of the Europa League, Uefa's less prestigious club competition.

This will earn them millions of pounds but an awful lot less than victory over the Swedes would have guaranteed.

How much is the Europa League worth to Celtic?

This is the first year of a new Uefa cycle, so the financial rewards are greater than before.

Malmo earned £1.42m by beating Celtic; much more will come their way in the Champions League.

Celtic will have £2.13m to help ease their disappointment before they enter the Europa League, the prize money for which is broken down below:

Europa League prize money

Group stage fee

£1.74m

Group stage performance

£262,000 per win, £87,000 per draw

Group winners

£363,000, and £182,000 for runners-up

Round of 32

£363,000

Round of 16

£545,000

Quarter-finals

£727,000

Semi-finals

£1.09m

Final

£4.72m for winner and £2.54m for runner-up

So, even if Celtic do not gain a point in the Europa League they will be guaranteed £3.87m (£2.13m + £1.74m).

Clubs also earn money from the competition's market pool, which includes a share of TV money. This is tricky to predict as last season's figures are not yet available - and the same is true of the gate money taken by Celtic during their Europa League campaign last year.

But using a bit of educated guesswork, their combined value might be about £4m.

_85183835_10686082.jpg

Celtic played in the Europa League last season after failing to reach the Champions League

So, if Celtic don't progress from the Europa League group stage they will earn about £8m, plus any prize money for wins and draws.

Celtic fans may wish to read through their fingers what follows.

Had the club qualified for the Champions League group stage they would have earned many millions more.

How much could Celtic have earned by beating Malmo?

From the group stage onwards the Champions League prize money is as follows:

Champions League prize money

Group stage fee

£8.52m

Group stage performance

£1.06m per win, £355,000 per draw

Round of 16

£3.9m

Quarter-finals

£4.26m

Semi-finals

£4.97m

Final

£10.65m for the winner, £7.45m for the runner-up

By way of comparison, Celtic earned £2.7m for winning the Scottish Premiership title last season.

In other words, prize money for the winning the Scottish title over 38 matches is about the same as two wins and two draws in the Champions League group stage.

Had Celtic progressed and not collected any points in the Champions League group stage, they would still have received £9.94m in prize money (£1.42m + £8.52m).

Further cash would have been earned from the competition's market pool, which represents 40% of total Champions League revenue. The figures cannot be accurately predicted, but using Celtic's most recent group stage campaign as a guide, in 2013-14 they received £5.79m.

One of the factors involved in the final amount is performance in that year's competition and on that occasion Celtic won only one game.

Celtic would have been able to count on a large home support for Champions League matches. Two seasons ago, the sale of 255,000 match tickets across the qualifiers and group stage games against AC Milan, Ajax and Barcelona generated more than £6.4m.

So, had Celtic beaten Malmo it would have been worth in excess of £21m to them (£9.94m in prize money + £5.79m market pool cash + £6m ticket sales = £21.73m).

With about £8m plus bonuses for wins and draws available in the Europa League, that disappointing performance in Malmo has cost them dearly - some £13m.

Europa is pretty much worthless. In the EPL just about every team that plays there drops down 3 or 4 positions than previous years as well. And that cost plenty! As far as the scum.. they are guaranteed to win another tainted title.

One thing though.. they will now sell their better players which means they will be weaker when we rejoin next year. Can't wait to hump these bastards 5-0 (tu)

I love the way they put these figures out, as though there's no cost and it's all profit, it's cost the tims a fair amount of cash just to try and compete with the big boys, they never seem to mention this, that's why they have to sell their best players, not that they have many

Pedro has all his diciples hard at work already putting a positive spin on it .Watch out for the negative crap coming our way

Someone has pointed out to me that Liewell has managed to wangle mostly away games after European midweeks this season in a vain attempt to try to get more of them to attend as the Sunday turnouts were even worse than usual. Fixtures randomly selected by computer my arse.

Any Club who even gets to the groups stages of Europa getting about 8million, plus prize money for wins or draws on top of that.

It's all relative, small fry to EPL Teams, but for the SPFL at present, that's still a sizable chunk.

We need to get back in Europe ASAP.

Could we do it via any of the Cups this Season, if we performed well enough to go that far? Legally (UEFA rules), can we now do it if we won a cup this Season?

Any Club who even gets to the groups stages of Europa getting about 8million, plus prize money for wins or draws on top of that.

It's all relative, small fry to EPL Teams, but for the SPFL at present, that's still a sizable chunk.

We need to get back in Europe ASAP.

Could we do it via any of the Cups this Season, if we performed well enough to go that far? Legally (UEFA rules), can we now do it if we won a cup this Season?

The Money thes horros spend on travel and accomodation to and from Euro games will be phenomenal. I believe it cost aberdeen £250k to travel to Kazakstan!! while only recieveing about £130k in prize money hahaha. The PIGS will have a bigger entourage than the sheep.

I love the way they put these figures out, as though there's no cost and it's all profit, it's cost the tims a fair amount of cash just to try and compete with the big boys, they never seem to mention this, that's why they have to sell their best players, not that they have many

13/14 there average salary was £17,000 per player per week. Much of that was down to European bonuses i would imagine. People forget their wage bill ranges from £30-40 million.

I might be in the minority but I miss the European games more than the Old Firm games. Desperate to win the Scottish Cup this year so we can get back in next season.

I agree, the first European game at Ibrox will be a total sell out, whether it is Hfnyafjoerdor or Real Madrid.

So, am i right in thinking we would be 'allowed' to play in Europe this year if we won a Cup?