***Athletics Thread***

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Athletics Kenya Confirms Banned Substance Use

Published on September 26th, 2012

By Peter Gambaccini

Athletics Kenya Chairman Isaiah Kiplagat has confirmed that his federation has investigated charges raised by German journalist Hajo Seppelt that doctors in Kenya have been injecting runners with banned substances in return for a portion of the runners' winnings.

In what is believed to be Athletics Kenya's first admission of the drug problem , Kiplagat says, "We are working with the Kenya Police and World Anti Doping Agency to have the culprits arrested for that criminal act." He expects some doctors to be arrested before December.

Seppelt had gone undercover posing as a sports agent and claims to have found doping to be rife not only among Kenyan runners but also among foreign athletes who'd come to train at high altitude in Kenya. Seppelt's charges apparently mainly have to do with blood boosting, using substances that increase the number of red blood cells in the body. Seppelt interviewed a former Danish anti-doping official who claimed to have observed changes in some of the blood levels of some Kenyans who raced in Europe between 2008 and 2010.

Kiplagat asserts that, in 2013, it will mandatory for directors of domestic racing events to have doping equipment present to help curb the use of banned performance enhancers. "Kenyans are usually under a microscope for the good performance internationally and for credibility, we have to ensure that anti-doping measures are in place to avoid being suspected," he states. Matthew Kisorio, a 58:46 half marathoner, tested positive for steroids at this year's Kenyan Athletics Championships andclaimed that illicit drug use  was common among Kenyan runners and was promoted by medical personnel.

No wonder they can run 20 miles to get to school.

• 2 weeks later...

Usain Bolt intends to defend his 100m and 200m titles in Rio De Janeiro in 2016 after deciding not to switch to the 400m or the long jump.

(td)

Immensely disappointing.

He'll be 30 by the time Rio has finished, wonder if he'll retire then or focus on another event.

• 9 months later...

http://jamaica-glean...le.php?id=46469

At least four more Jamaicans have been tested positive for banned substances, with a month to go before the start of the World Championships.

The five – two field event athlete and three runners – returned the adverse findings following the tests conducted at the National Trials that were held from June 20-23 at the National Stadium.

Two of the runners are Olympic gold-medal-winning sprinters.

Blake's case is a bit different considering his drug wasn't even banned on the IAAF list.

Genuinely gutted about Gay. He was always my favourite sprinter.

That raises an interesting point about doping though. Is it only wrong when the substance is banned, or is it the spirit of the thing that really matters? EPO wasn't banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency until the early 90s, but those who used it before it was banned sure as hell knew they were cheating.

If you intentionally use a performance-enhancing drug that isn't banned because it isn't widely known, you're still a doper as far as I'm concerned.

I like Blake, as it happens.

Probably a relay gold medalist?

Frater, Carter, or maybe a female one but I can't remember if their relay teams won gold.

They haven't won a 400m gold recently so it can't be that.

I'm hoping not Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce :(

Bolt, Blake, Carter, Frater, Powell, Fraser Pryce and Campbell-Brown (already caught)

They are all the gold medal winners I have found since 2008. Unless the athlete won gold in 2004 and is still running its one of them.