Two great examples of Sandy Jardine The Man

Muirheadbear

Still reeling from the awful news earlier tonight. Hopefully, both these two stories will lift the hearts of all bears on here like they have just done for me. They are two genuinely true stories highlighting what Sandy was all about.

First tale is back in season 1974/75. We are at Easter Road needing a point to win our first league title in 9 years. John Greig was nowhere near fit to play but was one of our two subs that day in case we triumphed. With 2m to go Sandy offers himself up to be replaced and to let Greigy on to savour the moment. A fantastic and totally unselfish gesture.

Second story is the league cup final at hampden in 1978. We were playing Ra Sellick and all week Jock Wallace was swaying whether to play a young Bobby Russell or play the more experienced Johnny Hamilton. Big Jock went with Hamilton and Russell didnt even make the subs bench. Rangers won 2-1 after extra time and after the game Sandy walked over to Bobby Russell and gave him his own winner's medal. That was Russell's first honour with Rangers.

Both are 100% true stories and highlight perfectly exactly what kind of man Sandy was.

You will never be forgotten our Number Two - never!

A good friend of mine (a Morton supporter) posted this on my Facebook today:

"A damn shame. The guy was an absolute gent! When I was doing my dissertation i sent out an email to EVERY club in the SPL as well as the SFL. Sandy was the only person that took the time to email me back, giving me his phone number and said i could contact him at any point and he'd be more than happy to help me out in any way he could."

Two wonderful story's thanks for sharing (tu) i don't remember Sandy as a player but to say he was one of the greatest British full backs of all time is not a overstatement given the huge success he had in both a sublime Rangers team and a Scotland team that truly was one of the country's best ever.