Retire the No2 jersey

ianferguson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately think in light of What Sandy Jardine means to all Bears , that a fitting tribute would be to retire No2 jersey.

I do understand what you are saying, but I'm sure some older bears who played for us before Sandy and made the number two their own would have passed on to the other side, is it fair to retire it just in his honour? How many great number twos were there before Sandy?

I do understand what you are saying, but I'm sure some older bears who played for us before Sandy and made the number two their own would have passed on to the other side, is it fair to retire it just in his honour? How many great number twos were there before Sandy?

Dougie Gray played for 22 years and in 940 matches in the number 2 shirt.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to the idea but yeah, we've had some incredible servants in that shirt.

Fair point m8 and i know you can't retire every jersey but unfortunately our recent demise and Sandy Jardines reaction and support of our club in it's darkest hour sets him apart in my eyes.Let us never forget while fighting his own battle he always had thoughts for Rangers and led the match to Hampden.

I think it's still the same, remember there is no names on the back of the shirts until we're back in the SPL.

Didn't Raith wear names on their shirts in the Ramsdens Final?

Remember, Fernando Ricksen wore the No. 2 also. A great gesture to two great players.

Fair point m8 and i know you can't retire every jersey but unfortunately our recent demise and Sandy Jardines reaction and support of our club in it's darkest hour sets him apart in my eyes.Let us never forget while fighting his own battle he always had thoughts for Rangers and led the match to Hampden.

I was there for much of Greig's time and he was a real Captain Courageous when we needed him most, hence the "Greatest Ever Ranger" tag.

However I have thought for a while that perhaps it might have been better to give this honour to Sandy who was unquestionably a more gifted player and an inspiration to youngsters winning POTY at 37.

That jersey seems cursed bearing in mind Ricksen's tragedy too.

Definately think in light of What Sandy Jardine means to all Bears , that a fitting tribute would be to retire No2 jersey.

Sorry Bro. Can't agree with this. Sandy was a True Legend. A True Bear. A Great Ranger and most importantly a great human being. I always thought of sandy as a humble man. I know where your thoughts come from but think that the best way to honour the No2 shirt is not to withdraw it. My feelings are that it should only be worn by someone who deserves to wear it. Someone who is as good as Sandy was and has the same love of our club that he did.. If we were to withdraw every shirt number for great players who have passed away we would have our team running about with 3 digit numbers on their backs. Our team at times looks slow enough without carrying the extra weight on their shirts.

God Bless You Sandy and may peace be with you and your family. P.S. It is a huge Family Sandy. Thanks for the memories. You will NEVER be forgotten.