the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Parkhead.

I was listening to BBC Scotland's Newsdrive yesterday evening, it was announced that the new Velodrome, currently being constructed immediately across London Road from the Stade de Gadd, was to be named in honour of Britain's triple Olympian gold medalist, Chris Hoy. I thought, 'that's interesting' and, 'there's going to be quite a few uncomfortable with that'. The imagery of Hoy cycling, union flag aloft in front of his union flag bedecked family in the grandstands, and clearly emotional during the National Anthem, will have the Yahoos choking. Now, when Hoy cycles for Scotland in the Commonwealth Games, he is draped in the Saltire, his supporting family and friends too. Clearly, the Hoys are

comfortable with both their Scottish and British identity.

Sure enough, on Newsdrive the e-mails were read out disagreeing with the Velodrome being named in his honour, because he was from Edinburgh. The Producers and News Editors at BBC Scotland were struggling for a hook to hang their prejudice on, and an e-mail from Gerry provided the necessary. Gerry explained that the honour should be reserved for a new Edinburgh velodrome(the current one about to be demolished to make way for new flats). BBC Scotland has become a major weather vein in the Yahoo thought process.

It's the political tides, five and half years past, the then Scottish First Minister, Jack McConnell was taking his season ticketed seat at ra Stydome on the evening of Sellik's UEFA Cup quarter final against Liverpool, when Radio Snyde Chief Executive, Paul Cooney invited him to extrapolate on the future of Sports Scotland? Jack obliged, stating the ground in front of Sellik Park could be redeveloped for the planned £60million indoor sports arena, Sports Scotland and state of the art sports medicine facilities could be co-located. It is important to remember that Cooney had just been appointed to the Board of Scottish Enterprise(Glasgow), along with fellow Yahoos, Wullie Hee-Haw, Stephen Purcell, Charlie Gordon, .....etc; decisions had been made, it was all about presentation.

The building blocks of the indoor sports arena, securing the Commonwealth Games(opening ceremony at Sellik Park, the Rugby Sevens at Ibrox), allows the new train station and the first extension to the Underground system for 118 years. The Undeground extension plans initially included three new stations, Duke Street, Bridgeton, and ra Stydome, this was later trimmed to just one, you've guessed? The other end of the spectrum in assauging Yahoo sensitivities was the story appearing in some broadsheets back in April, the security fencing was going up around the new Velodrome site and was being painted slate grey, why were the Commonwealth Games corporate colours of red, blue, and gold not being emblazoned on every fifth panel(apparently this is customery in Games new build, certainly in Manchester)?

As stated, political ebb and flow, Jack is no longer First Minister, Glasgow City Council is officially in a state of, 'no over-all control', and the SNP administration are intent on abolishing the Scottish Enterprise quango. Decisions made and funds committed five years past have taken the process thus far, it would appear the collective Yahoo sensitivity no longer enjoys full protection. I hope concerned e-mailers to BBC Scotland's Newsdrive suggest the velodrome would be better named in honour of Michael Kelly. Well, the former Lord Provost took wee Fergus McCann's £600,000 and got on his bike.

I suggest the new Velodrome has a statue outside of Sir Chris Hoy, union flag aloft in the most triumphant manner.

i cant see any problem with it being named after hoy. He represents scotland and great Britain. If they want to get in a twist over it then maybe they should ask themselves what country they are living in. Why should he not get it named after him as he is the most successful scottish olympian(i think) and this will i guess be one of the main parts of the commonwealth games for all to see.

Don't see what this has to do with Rangers :baffled:

Edit : moved now (tu) some first post

Absolutely true.

The point is the boy's done well and deserves a big cheer all round. End of.

I know sorry it was in the Bear Pit. The poster is spot on, top post. :unionflag:

Sure enough, on Newsdrive the e-mails were read out disagreeing with the Velodrome being named in his honour, because he was from Edinburgh. The Producers and News Editors at BBC Scotland were struggling for a hook to hang their prejudice on, and an e-mail from Gerry provided the necessary. Gerry explained that the honour should be reserved for a new Edinburgh velodrome(the current one about to be demolished to make way for new flats). BBC Scotland has become a major weather vein in the Yahoo thought process.

Since taxpayers (from all across the nation/s) money is being used to build this velodrome it's a national velodrome and not a Glasgow one.

Hoy has done more than anyone to raise the profile in this country and his three gold medals in one Olympic hasn't been done for over 100 years. GIUY timothy.

So unfair they're getting the shithole around the scumdome developed for them, while we have to develop the shithole around Ibrox ourselves :(

maybe its because the people in Dalmarnock who have had the piss ripped out of them for year upon year and have been pleading for redevelopment has something to do with the fact that the place is finally getting done up. To be perfectly honest I am delighted this is happening. No one and I mean no one hates Celtic more than me but I dont give two shits if this is going to make Celtic park look better. All i care about is Dalmarnock which has been home for generations of my family.

By the way the title of this thread is wrong. its not the Chris Hoy Stadium in Parkhead. The stadium is in Dalmarnock

Absolutely true.

I know sorry it was in the Bear Pit. The poster is spot on, top post. :unionflag:

Bears Den ;)

Absolutely true.

Bears Den ;)

:craphead:

The stinky east end dwellers are getting so much from the Commonwealth games that they must expect to put up with a little discomfort

I can believe that Hoy is a bluenose because his family seemed very at ease with the Union Jack when celebrating :unionflag:

Im sure I read somewhere Hoy is a Rangers fan...i might be wrong but that would be great having the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome right across from the tattiedome if hes a bluenose.

I have read somewhere too that Chris is indeed one of the chosen, that'll really fucking annoy those at Torbett Towers.

PS Congrats to the new name for the tattiedome - "Stade de Gadd" fecking brilliant, welcome to the board mate and good post

Im sure I read somewhere Hoy is a Rangers fan...i might be wrong but that would be great having the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome right across from the tattiedome if hes a bluenose.

I believe from a very good east coast source, that Chris Hoy and family are Jambos.

To placate the Yahoo hordes, I suggest the swimming venue at Tollcross be named in honour of the Republic of ireland's triple gold medalist from Atlanta'

96, Michelle Smith.

I have read somewhere too that Chris is indeed one of the chosen, that'll really fucking annoy those at Torbett Towers.

PS Congrats to the new name for the tattiedome - "Stade de Gadd" fecking brilliant, welcome to the board mate and good post

Home to Gadds Army. Don't panic!