Scotland to compete at the 2012 Olympics?

vasily09

Go for it! I'll for it! Anything that this proud small nation can stand on its own two feet for, would always encourage that.

Does look slightly petty on its timing I must admit, could have waited a fortnight or so tbh so athletes don't get asked this rather politically motivated question on their return but then again, my party is good at grabbing things when there's momentum so I suppose now may be as good a time as any other.

It won't happen until we get independence anyway, if anything, its a good rant by Stewart as its the government saying how good the Scottish contingent have contributed to the Olymipcs thuogh he could have done that without mentioning the need for a Scottish Olympic team.

For a nationalistic government/party though, its very wise to say this kind of thing to put forward the fact that Scotland can do these things by themselves and that we are good at things - being positive.

Its another attempt by the SNP to do anything to make people think a referendum is a good thing and independence for Scotland would be great! Give us a break Salmond, if people stupidly decide to vote yes I would be out of this country asap!

Go for it!! For the size of the nation our medal haul this time round was amazing. Did England win 10 times as many golds as we did? No chance. In the medal table the size of the nation is taken into account and on that basis we'd be well ahead of England and many other large countries.

Also, it's such a shame that the oldest flag in the world is not represented at the Olympics. The saltire, representing Scotland since 832 A.D.

This wont go down well with his timmy voters...Frank McAveety, Scottish Labour sports spokesman said: "I'm absolutely passionate about Scotland and I want Scotland to do well, but I'm also exceptionally proud of team GB's performance in the Olympics. I don't see why I should be asked to make a choice between those two."

This is why I hate the SNP.

Care to expand on that?

Sure. I just get annoyed with how that party jumps on the bandwagon of pulling at peoples heartstrings when we have a bit of success. They can't just acknowledge that we achieved it as part of a British team, so they start to think "Well we can do it all buy ourselves". Theres no way Scotland as an independent country would be able to invest as much money into sport as we do as part of the United Kingdom.

Another embarrassing move by the SNP. It's completely politically motivated.

Great Britain has always competed the Olympics together and now they want to split it up because Chris Hoy won a few golds. The English won pretty much everything else.

Salmond is a fanny

Quote on BBC olympic today:

"Re Scottish Sports Minister - I cringe when these narrow-minded views of the minority in Scotland make their way into the media. I apologise on behalf of all proud British Scots... Well done team GB!"

The Loose Cannon, Edinburgh via text on 81111

Care to expand on that?

Sure. I just get annoyed with how that party jumps on the bandwagon of pulling at peoples heartstrings when we have a bit of success. They can't just acknowledge that we achieved it as part of a British team, so they start to think "Well we can do it all buy ourselves". Theres no way Scotland as an independent country would be able to invest as much money into sport as we do as part of the United Kingdom.

Bollocks - each individual gained his success because of his or her own motivation. Sure there might have been some lottery fuding in some instances, but an Independent Scotland could do that also

Sure, this is politically motivated, but I like the idea more and more the more I read it - Can you imagine the Saltire going up the pole and Flower of Scotland belting out? Fantastic

And of course that would end the nonsense about a GB footy team, we could just enter our own!

Its another attempt by the SNP to do anything to make people think a referendum is a good thing and independence for Scotland would be great! Give us a break Salmond, if people stupidly decide to vote yes I would be out of this country asap!

I AGREE

Guest johngers

I AGREE

Who with? :unsure:

Care to expand on that?

(tu)

Daft idea...what happens if we get to do it on our own, then at the 2012 we end up with nothing. Apart from the fact we would get the pish ripped out of us, mos tof the idiots who voted yes would probably want to get back on board with team GB

I'd love to see it. But everyone's view here obviously depends on their politics.

For me the United Kingdom is the last part of English Imperialism. It may take time, but it will eventually break up.

no chance.