Scotland squad announced for Macedonia and Iceland

Boab

Scotland manager George Burley has named his squad for next month's World Cup qualifying matches against FYR Macedonia and Iceland.

Celtic's Shaun Maloney is included, following his recent return to the Glasgow club from Aston Villa.

There is also a place for Birmingham City striker Garry O'Connor.

The Scots open their Group 9 campaign in Macedonia on Saturday 6 September before travelling to Iceland on Wednesday 10 September.

Maloney, who has 11 caps, did not feature in the recent 0-0 draw with Northern Ireland. His only international goal was a free-kick effort in a 2-0 victory over the Faroe Islands.

The forward, who can play in wide or central areas, left Celtic for Villa in January 2007 but, after failing to gain a regular first-team place in Martin O'Neill's side, returned to Parkhead in a £2.5m deal last week.

"Shaun is a terrific player, who has great ability," said Burley.

"At Aston Villa, it was difficult when he wasn't playing.

"I saw him on Saturday (against Falkirk) when he played for 70 minutes and I thought he was outstanding. He looked lively and bright.

We kept our fingers crossed that Alan Hutton would be available for the start of the campaign. Unfortunately, that isn't to be

Scotland manager George Burley

"I spoke to Shaun and he felt with a couple of games under his belt that he would be back to 100% so I had no hesitation in calling him up."

O'Connor has scored twice in the Championship so far this season and last played for Scotland in the 3-1 victory over Ukraine last October. The former Hibernian and Lokomotiv Moscow player has four goals in 15 appearances for his country.

Burley sought the advice of his predecessor and current Birmingham boss Alex McLeish when selecting O'Connor.

"I spoke to Alex about him," added Burley.

"He has started the season well and he gives us a different dimension and he is in good goalscoring form."

Tottenham Hotspur full-back Alan Hutton does not feature in the squad with the former Rangers defender still recovering from a stress fracture to his right foot.

"Alan has progressed in the last few years into a top-class international full-back, some people would say one of the best full-backs in Britain," Burley said.

"It's very disappointing but we were aware of his injury pre-season. We kept our fingers crossed that he would be available for the start of the campaign. Unfortunately, that isn't to be."

Rangers' Lee McCulloch, Michael Stewart of Hearts and Hibernian's Steven Fletcher also miss out but Derby's Kris Commons, Darren Barr of Falkirk and Rangers' Kevin Thomson retain their places after making debuts against Northern Ireland.

Celtic defender Stephen McManus is set to continue as captain with Rangers' Barry Ferguson recovering from ankle surgery.

Burley, who will be taking charge of his first competitive internationals, is still waiting for his first win as Scotland boss following draws with Croatia and Northern Ireland at Hampden and defeat to the Czech Republic in Prague.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Graham Alexander (Burnley), Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Heart of Midlothian), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Callum Davidson (Preston North End), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Kevin McNaughton (Cardiff City), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), David Weir (Rangers)

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Kris Commons (Derby County), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Celtic), Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Forwards: Kris Boyd (Rangers), David Clarkson (Motherwell), James McFadden (Birmingham City), Kenny Miller (Rangers), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City)

A decent squad there, not that pleased still about Morrison who said he was playing for Scotland as he wouldn't get a game for England and still not sure about Commons love of being Scottish either though at least he's said he'd been on holiday a few times in Scotland and maybe there's some affection there tho' it may just be convenience for both of them and I'm still not stepping down from that any time soon though they are both good players, not denying that. Just questioning their reasons.

Pleased with the addition of Barr and Maloney too. I'd like to see more under-21's in more often soon though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7583850.stm

Was hoping on the off chance Hutton would be fit by then. :(

Watching that Football Matters program Setanta do, Tottenham fan said they were missing Hutton as Chimbonda was away and there was no dig in the midfield as Zakora was filling in for Hutton.

I'd be surprised if Scotland came away from Macedonia with 3 points.

As long as the defense can hold down Pandev we'll be fine. If he plays Weir and Alexander we're fucked though.

As long as the defense can hold down Pandev we'll be fine. If he plays Weir and Alexander we're fucked though.

Even then, they are a tight unit and the country of Macedonia is just one of those nightmare places to travel to.

I thought Scotland looked absolutely woeful against NI. There was no spark, no passion and just no quality in general.

You're right though, Pandev against Weir is a terrifying prospect.

Even then, they are a tight unit and the country of Macedonia is just one of those nightmare places to travel to.

I thought Scotland looked absolutely woeful against NI. There was no spark, no passion and just no quality in general.

I remember Macedonia giving England a tough time home and away!

I thought it was up front where we lacked that spark, I suppose service from midfield could have been better, but Mhisser and Faddy don't work together that often!

3rd or 4th rate players in bold, sorry Barr is 5th rate and Naysmith.....

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Graham Alexander (Burnley), Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Heart of Midlothian), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Callum Davidson (Preston North End), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Kevin McNaughton (Cardiff City), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), David Weir (Rangers)

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Kris Commons (Derby County), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Celtic), Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Forwards: Kris Boyd (Rangers), David Clarkson (Motherwell), James McFadden (Birmingham City), Kenny Miller (Rangers), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City)

:beer1:

When it comes to the international set up, Paul Hartley and Kenny Miller are not 3rd/4th rate players.

When it comes to the international set up, Paul Hartley and Kenny Miller are not 3rd/4th rate players.

Sorry I should have included them with the other two 5th rate ones :beer1:

Scotland manager George Burley has named his squad for next month's World Cup qualifying matches against FYR Macedonia and Iceland.

Celtic's Shaun Maloney is included, following his recent return to the Glasgow club from Aston Villa.

There is also a place for Birmingham City striker Garry O'Connor.

The Scots open their Group 9 campaign in Macedonia on Saturday 6 September before travelling to Iceland on Wednesday 10 September.

Maloney, who has 11 caps, did not feature in the recent 0-0 draw with Northern Ireland. His only international goal was a free-kick effort in a 2-0 victory over the Faroe Islands.

The forward, who can play in wide or central areas, left Celtic for Villa in January 2007 but, after failing to gain a regular first-team place in Martin O'Neill's side, returned to Parkhead in a £2.5m deal last week.

"Shaun is a terrific player, who has great ability," said Burley.

"At Aston Villa, it was difficult when he wasn't playing.

"I saw him on Saturday (against Falkirk) when he played for 70 minutes and I thought he was outstanding. He looked lively and bright.

We kept our fingers crossed that Alan Hutton would be available for the start of the campaign. Unfortunately, that isn't to be

Scotland manager George Burley

"I spoke to Shaun and he felt with a couple of games under his belt that he would be back to 100% so I had no hesitation in calling him up."

O'Connor has scored twice in the Championship so far this season and last played for Scotland in the 3-1 victory over Ukraine last October. The former Hibernian and Lokomotiv Moscow player has four goals in 15 appearances for his country.

Burley sought the advice of his predecessor and current Birmingham boss Alex McLeish when selecting O'Connor.

"I spoke to Alex about him," added Burley.

"He has started the season well and he gives us a different dimension and he is in good goalscoring form."

Tottenham Hotspur full-back Alan Hutton does not feature in the squad with the former Rangers defender still recovering from a stress fracture to his right foot.

"Alan has progressed in the last few years into a top-class international full-back, some people would say one of the best full-backs in Britain," Burley said.

"It's very disappointing but we were aware of his injury pre-season. We kept our fingers crossed that he would be available for the start of the campaign. Unfortunately, that isn't to be."

Rangers' Lee McCulloch, Michael Stewart of Hearts and Hibernian's Steven Fletcher also miss out but Derby's Kris Commons, Darren Barr of Falkirk and Rangers' Kevin Thomson retain their places after making debuts against Northern Ireland.

Celtic defender Stephen McManus is set to continue as captain with Rangers' Barry Ferguson recovering from ankle surgery.

Burley, who will be taking charge of his first competitive internationals, is still waiting for his first win as Scotland boss following draws with Croatia and Northern Ireland at Hampden and defeat to the Czech Republic in Prague.

Scotland squad

A decent squad there, not that pleased still about Morrison who said he was playing for Scotland as he wouldn't get a game for England and still not sure about Commons love of being Scottish either though at least he's said he'd been on holiday a few times in Scotland and maybe there's some affection there tho' it may just be convenience for both of them and I'm still not stepping down from that any time soon though they are both good players, not denying that. Just questioning their reasons.

Pleased with the addition of Barr and Maloney too. I'd like to see more under-21's in more often soon though.

Erm, international football?

Erm, international football?

Doesn't make it right/or turn me round!

I remember Macedonia giving England a tough time home and away!

Everyone does.

England are painfully awful.

This should be the new Scotland line up:

-----------------McGregor---------------

--Broadfoot--Dailly--Weir--Whittaker-

--McCulloch--Thomson--Ferguson--Adam

---------------Boyd---Miller-------------

:lol:

Not good enough.