Brian Laudrup: My lifetime debt to Rangers

Laudrup: My lifetime debt to Rangers

RANGERS legend Brian Laudrup today revealed how his transfer to the Ibrox club 20 years ago today rescued his foundering career.

MatthewLindsay.jpg

Matthew Lindsay Sports Journalist

Monday 21/07/2014

0 Comments

Print

24814712.jpg

Brian Laudrup was signed by Walter Smith 20 years ago

Danish internationalist Laudrup put pen to paper with the Glasgow giants in a £2.5million deal back on July 21, 1994.

The winger went on to enjoy enormous success over the next four years and helped Walter Smith's side to complete nine-in-a-row.

He won the Scottish title three times, the League Cup once and the Scottish Cup once, and was also named SFWA Player of the Year twice.

The skilful attacker is now widely considered by supporters to be one of the greatest-ever players in the 142-year history of Rangers.

But the 45-year-old has recalled how his playing days were in freefall over in Italy where he had endured unhappy spells with Fiorentina and then AC Milan.

And he has told how his father - former Denmark star Finn - had warned him that the transfer to Scotland HAD to work out if he was to revive his career.

In an exclusive interview with SportTimes, he said: "I can remember a conversation I had with my father at the time I was going to sign for Rangers.

"He said to me: 'Brian, this is going to be the most important switch in your career. This move has got to be a success for you'.

"Up until then, I had been at Bayern Uerdingen in Germany for one year, Bayern Munich for two years, Fiorentina for one year and AC Milan for one year.

"My father told me: 'If you want to be a successful player then you can't be finding a new club every season. You need to find a club and stay there'.

"Rangers was that club. Joining Rangers turned out to be the best move of my career. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was very successful for me and very successful for my family.

"It was the best four years of my career in terms of playing and the best in terms of my private life. I was happy in Scotland on the park and my family and I were very happy off it."

This week in SportTimes Laudrup looks back on the circumstances that resulted in him agreeing to sign for Rangers 20 years ago.

He reveals how he realised it would be the correct decision just a few minutes after meeting manager Smith for talks at Cameron House Hotel.

And the Scandinavian, now a television pundit in his homeland, also tells of his distress at the off-field difficulties the 54-times Scottish champions have experienced in the last two years.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at his league debut against Motherwell, everyone was more excited about Basile Boli before the game who signed at the same time - Laudrup was just an afterthought.

Complete opposite after the game, Laudrup's run for Duncan Ferguson's winner was magnificent. What a player.

I have been very privileged to have seen many brilliant players at Ibrox since cira 1953 and I have no qualms in saying Brian Laudrup has arguably been the best of them all in all round ability. :pipe:

I was at his league debut against Motherwell, everyone was more excited about Basile Boli before the game who signed at the same time - Laudrup was just an afterthought.

Complete opposite after the game, Laudrup's run for Duncan Ferguson's winner was magnificent. What a player.

That is exactly how i felt as well, boli we knew from playing against for marseille.

Leaving ibrox after the motherwell game everybody was raving about laudrup.

I even remember the positive press reaction to laudrup but that was before our media were the pr department for opus dei.

Other than Gascoigne I cannot think of any other player that gave me any greater excitement watching Rangers. He was a sheer joy to watch.

This is not aimed at Laudrup alone, but sometimes you read these stories from players of how much Rangers mean to them and what Rangers done for them - I just wish some would reciprocate in some way.

Anyway, back on topic.

A great ambassdor for Glasgow Rangers on and off the park. The best player I have ever seen play for Rangers plus he led a clean life off with no other agendas only playing football. The Brian Laudrup cup final when Durie scored a hatrick is one ill never forget. What a player !!!!

Davies Cooper with pace, magic

Cooper was a fine player, but Laudrup is still head and shoulders above anyone since Souness came.

Think of all the great players we have signed? Then there is Brian, They were shit scared of him like no other Rangers player I have ever known, he was that good.

No wonder we used to bow to the guy,

To the older guys who went when the Henderson's and Baxter's strutted the stuff, How does Brian compare?

My dad always said Gazza couldn't lace Baxter's boots,

Any as for his brother Micheal? Wow, he was one of the best in the world and when he played,

Even his father played football.

He was that good on the ball I used to get annoyed when he passed to a team mate.

I felt like that with him and Gascoigne, you always thought that while they were in possession a piece of magic was about to happen.

A gentleman and a terrific player and a Rangers legend. Will we ever see anyone like him at Ibrox again?

An amazing player and an absolute gentleman. Some of today's spoiled lot could learn from Brian Laudrup. It was an honour to have him in the team and he was honoured to play for the jersey.

Without doubt the best and most exciting player that I have seen play in the blue jersey. I actually think Coop matched him in skill, perhaps even surpassed him, but that first 5-10 yards acceleration Brian had took him to a different level IMO.

Think it was a great pity for both Rangers, and possibly Brian himself, that he didn't stay another couple of seasons with us. Would love to have seen him in the Advocaat team of circa 1999-2000.

He looks like he could still do a job for us!

Header at Tannadice was my favourite moment but 5-1 Cup Final was favourite game.

Interesting to note that neither he nor Gazza would have ever come to Rangers without SDM

Just saying, like :)

Without doubt the best and most exciting player that I have seen play in the blue jersey. I actually think Coop matched him in skill, perhaps even surpassed him, but that first 5-10 yards acceleration Brian had took him to a different level IMO.

Think it was a great pity for both Rangers, and possibly Brian himself, that he didn't stay another couple of seasons with us. Would love to have seen him in the Advocaat team of circa 1999-2000.

Was just about to say that. Can you imagine him instead of Kanchelskis, who wasn't bad in my opinion, but we never talk about him in anything like the same way.