That's an interesting point. If the likes of Dustin Brown play an improbable shot, the commentators are like "wow, this guy has so much talent, if only he could put it together into a consistent run of form!", and everybody agrees that it was intentionally, he played it because he "has nothing to lose" and is "colourful" and "inventive". Former pros (especially ones who didn't win much) are disturbed by the idea that somebody who has won virtually everything there is to win 1) still enjoys the game and 2) is still figuring out and trying new things even when he would have all the excuses in the world for being unmotivated, bored, tired etc. Because that makes him an extreme rarity. You maybe get one individual per sport like that.

Federer's legacy is obvious. He won shitloads of slams and was world number one for an ungodly period of time.

He doesn't get enough credit for what he does now. He's playing in what is probably the most competitive era of all time. Certainly at a time where physical attributes are at an all time high. He's 34 next month and he's world number 2, and it would be considered extremely noteworthy if he doesn't make the semi-finals of any tournament he plays.

That's extraordinary.

Also, look away Rafa, he's tinkered his playing style to suit changes in the game and the changes in his body. He's beefed up the serve and plays far more serve and volley than Federer of old. That's boxing clever. Nadal just grinds his body to the ground and wonders why he gets injured all the time.

Also, look away Rafa, he's tinkered his playing style to suit changes in the game and the changes in his body. He's beefed up the serve and plays far more serve and volley than Federer of old. That's boxing clever. Nadal just grinds his body to the ground and wonders why he gets injured all the time.

It's a shame Roger didn't make those changes against Nadal years ago. Obviously playing serve-volley against prime Nadal is dangerous, since his passing shots were incredible, but so was Federer's volleying, speed and footwork. That would have taken his main weakness, the backhand during rallies, out of the equation.

It's a shame Roger didn't make those changes against Nadal years ago. Obviously playing serve-volley against prime Nadal is dangerous, since his passing shots were incredible, but so was Federer's volleying, speed and footwork. That would have taken his main weakness, the backhand during rallies, out of the equation.

To be honest, the few years that he really struggled (on the Federer scale of struggling - not the regular scale) I think he was just so used to blowing people away. I'm not sure he was ready to admit that he couldn't hammer everyone away from the baseline up until he appointed Edberg.

Fantastic tennis player but seems a bit of a cunt

Well a bit of a cunt compared to the Saint Sue Barker etc say he is. Not really his fault, but still.

I think I've always been able to ignore that in sportsmen on the understanding that if I was the best in the world at something, I'd almost certainly be a knob about it.

I think I've always been able to ignore that in sportsmen on the understanding that if I was the best in the world at something, I'd almost certainly be a knob about it.

Nah I agree. But as I said there seems to be an opinion amongst 'experts' and fans that he's some great, humble guy which annoys me and puts me off him a bit. It shouldn't, and it doesn't put me off players like Kyrgios, but I could never properly warm to Federer because of it.

Fantastic tennis player but seems a bit of a cunt

Well a bit of a cunt compared to the Saint Sue Barker etc say he is. Not really his fault, but still.

He can definitely be a bit of a knob when things aren't going his way on court. Off court by all accounts he's absolutely sound. I saw an interview a while back that Andy Roddick did with him for ESPN and he told Federer that the respect and sensitivity he and his team showed in the dressing room after the Wimbledon final in 2009 really meant a lot to Roddick, who was absolutely distraught. Federer's "praise" and respect for opponents often seems a little forced on camera. I think he's kind of an awkward person. Off-camera his opponents seem to think he's completely sincere. Except Novak, maybe :lol:

He's definitely very impressed with his own ability, in a way that seems like something a little different to arrogance, to me. Like he doesn't take credit for his talent, he just admires it like a spectator. Which I find hilarious.

He can definitely be a bit of a knob when things aren't going his way on court. Off court by all accounts he's absolutely sound. I saw an interview a while back that Andy Roddick did with him for ESPN and he told Federer that the respect and sensitivity he and his team showed in the dressing room after the Wimbledon final in 2009 really meant a lot to Roddick, who was absolutely distraught. Federer's "praise" and respect for opponents often seems a little forced on camera. I think he's kind of an awkward person. Off-camera his opponents seem to think he's completely sincere. Except Novak, maybe :lol:

He's definitely very impressed with his own ability, in a way that seems like something a little different to arrogance, to me. Like he doesn't take credit for his talent, he just admires it like a spectator. Which I find hilarious.

Felt sorry for Roddick after that final. Wasn't hard to see how much he wanted it.

"I threw everything but the kitchen sink at Roger today, and he threw the kitchen sink back" :lol: